Australia Food Guide, Restaurants, Eating Guide and Reviews - HGW
Search the site
Profile
Reviews5
Displaying 1 - 3 of 5 review(s)
Kookaburra River Queens
Overall
Food/Drink

17 Sep 2011
Ok, booked at the last minute and surprised we even managed to get a table. In hindsight we should have gone to a restaurant. Problem 1: There is no table service for drinks and only two bar staff. Problem 2: The meal is buffet style and you are called by table number to get your meals 1st helping so being on table 20 it took a while for us to get food. Problem 3: The food selection was pretty basic, prawns, baby lobsters, crabs three curries and odd lasagne, pork and beef and something laughingly called a salad. Problem 4: The entertainment, basically a guy who could barely sing Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley and when he wasn't 'singing' he just played music from his laptop. Oh and when he was singing he kept forgetting the words and made them up. I would class him as Karaoke at best and bad Karaoke at that. Problem 5: The buffet stopped 40 minutes after we started so they could change over to the mediocre dessert. So, it is most definitely not an all you can eat buffet. Problem 6: The rude wait staff or in particular one female wait person who decided to take all the bread plates even though we had just started dinner despite the fact that I had a bread roll in my hand. At one point I asked a wait person what time we got back to shore and when she said in 90 minutes my guest asked what a shame he could not jump over board. When I told her why she went and got the supervisor and I explained it all again. The supervisor offered to get us a plate more of food but by that point we were disinterested. We did accept the offer of a free drink. We returned to my hotel and had dessert in the restaurant and when our waitress asked what we had done this evening all I said was we went on the Kookaburra River Cruise and she replied "Enough said". Suffice it to say if you want to do something in Brisbane my recommendation is to Never go on the Kookaburra River Cruise as it is over priced and the food is rubbish. Oh and did I happen to mention the drinks were not cold especially the soft drinks. Update: Tuesday September 20th 2011 This afternoon I received a call from Jim of Kookaburra River Cruises. Response 1: Table service is not offered on the website but you can request table service from management when booking. Not sure if there is a fee for that so best to ask. Response 2: They will now trial allowing people to start their meals once they board rather than once they depart the pier thus giving approx 90 minutes for the buffet. So, now that you have read the reviews you can make up your own minds.
Silk's Brasserie
Overall
Food/Drink

04 Sep 2011
In our entire state in Leura for a planning weekend Silks Brasserie is by far the best restaurant we have eaten at. Initially we tried to dine on Saturday but at short notice they were fully booked, good for us because we got in for the Sunday night at 7 pm. Prior to our arrival we checked their site for a menu and noted that on a Saturday or Sunday night there is a minimum food charge of $50.00 per person. This did surprise us as did the reference to 10% surcharge on public holidays (they need to change that part because you can't charge a % surcharge) but I digress. I arrived first and was seated in a prime window table. The staff were all attentive and pleasant. We each had an entree and main, and even with our quirks they followed or order exactly. All the meals were well-presented and certainly well worth the price. Total bill for three people including wine came to $240.00 which was not bad for a 'high class' restaurant in Leura. We would highly recommend you dine at Silks on your next stay in Leura or even Katoomba but I suggest that if you want to dine on a Saturday you book well in advance.
Cafe Madeleine
Overall
Food/Drink

03 Sep 2011
Where do I start, we arrived and were seated fairly quickly, looked at the menu, prices were quite exorbitant and because of that we were quite shocked that we had to go to the counter to order and pay (there were 5 wait staff), at that price we were quite shocked to find no table service. There were three of us. Ordered our food and drinks and the waitress seemed quite nice. Went back to our seats and about 10 minutes later a waitress with drinks came to our table only to find they were not ours and she had to go back to the kitchen. She came back out with one drink and the rest followed one at a time. One of the drinks was wrong because we ordered it with cream/ice cream but it was not evident. Once the third drink was delivered and consumed we waited half an hour before asking a waitress what the ETA of our meals would be only to be told sternly that they only had one chef working (in hospitality why is that the customers problem). In the mean time whilst waiting for lunch we watched an elderly women with limited mobility ordered two cakes for her and a friend. When the cake was delivered the elderly woman kindly suggested to the wait staff that she had asked for ice cream not cream was told in a stern voice "That is Ice Cream" we felt for the women. Eventually our meal was served, we eat more quickly than we have ever done before and was quite glad that the experience was over. For the prices they charge they should be ashamed. It is such a shame that a beautiful village of Leura because of the number of people it attracted and the limited food establishments that people think they can get away with such poor customer service. Avoid at all cost.
Load More