Australia Food Guide, Restaurants, Eating Guide and Reviews - HGW
Search the site
Profile
Reviews138
Displaying 1 - 3 of 138 review(s)
Ballaarat, The
Overall
Food/Drink

18 Nov 2012
I understand that the restaurant area was originally part of the Ballaarat Club (which still occupies the top floor) and it’s a lovely space. The immediate vicinity is quiet, but it's only a short walk from the main street (Sturt Street). We greatly enjoyed our dinner, particularly the mains (one of us had the duck and the other the lamb), but the entrées and desserts were great, too. Good choice of wines, and very helpful and knowledgeable service. Prices were in line with what you would expect for this quality.
Stag, The
Overall
Food/Drink

15 Oct 2012
Port Fairy has a number of "fine dining" restaurants (with prices to match), one of which is The Stag. However, early dining is apparently the norm, so when we arrived for our 7.15 pm booking, we were amongst the last to arrive at a nearly-full restaurant and hence we ended up with a long wait for both our entrees and our mains. Our rolls arrived fairly quickly, but it was a choice of soy and linseed or nothing! There some highs and lows with the food. The dishes all certainly displayed the signs of careful and thoughtful preparation, and the calamari entree was said to be very good, but I had mixed feelings about my "spring vegetable" salad: it looked pretty, and I'm sure the various little bits and pieces were prepared and arranged on the plate with great care, and the dressing was good. But it wasn't what you'd call "substantial". My flathead was good, but the duck was served pretty rare, which really isn't our preference (is it just us?). On the other hand, the steak was cooked in line with our request, and was said to be good.
L'Edera
Overall
Food/Drink

14 Oct 2012
L'Edera has a nice bar area and a spacious dining room. The menu offers an interesting range of Italian dishes, said to take advantage of local produce. My gnocchi was good, as was the seafood special which consisted of harpuka accompanied by a whole range of other seafood (a crab, mussels, pippis and so on) - very impressive. The service was fine, but the prices are up-market in keeping with the menu and ambience.