Toko

Diners

Parking

Street Parking

Overview of Toko

Located in Surry Hills, Toko is Japanese dining at its best. They have intricately-designed interiors that make use of wood for a more welcoming and relaxed ambiance. The natural materials are mixed with modern accents and touches, which in turn exudes an air of class and elegance. Toko's fitout theme resounds in its restaurant, lounge, and bar. It emanates a personality of refinement that is easily seen in the food they serve and experienced in their service.

Toko's menu is a diverse offering of authentic gourmet food from the Land of the Rising Sun. Sydney favourites such as sushi, tempura, and grills comes with a delightful option of fancy beverages and drinks. They also have a degustation menu for those who love a flavourful exploration. Toko's ambiance and food obviously tailor-fit a variety of group dining occasions. They serve lunch and dinners most days of the week.

Add a Review for Toko

User Reviews of Toko, Surry Hills

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

The food here is just amazing. There was nothing that disappointed on either the set menu or the ala carte menu at either of the dining venues. This place is fast becoming one of my favourites!

May 31, 2014

The food Toko has a good reputation. I had a mediocre experience here though. My friend has been here a few times and she assures me that normally the food is awesome and orgasmic.

blogRead more on my blog

May 01, 2014

Wow, it feels like I went to a different restaurant when I read all the positive reviews. First time here with regulars and I was absolutely underwhelmed. Service was almost non existent - we had to flag down the waittresses (who once flagged, were very polite) to order food. Serving plates and bowls were very dirty and we had to send no less than 4 of these back.

We started wtih cocktails - and they were a disappointment. We then ordered around 15 different dishes (for 4 of us) and only 2 of these from the sushi bar were tasty - being the eel and the wagyu beef. The prawn tempura was okay and every other dish was bland bordering on boring and completely tasteless. Even the regular diner was surprised with the quality.

The room is lovely - all the dark wood is appealing and the bathrooms are also nicely fitted out, but seating is cramped and the stools themselves are very uncomfortable. A disappointing experience and one I won't repeat. I am guessing I visited on an 'off' day as all other reviews are positive.

Mar 07, 2014

Love toko. Food is amazing. The soft shell crab is delicious. The wagyu beef is my absolute favorite. Staff knowledgeable and friendly, we come here often. Very impressive dishes and sashimi is very fresh.

Mar 07, 2014

Great place! I ordered the Soft Shell Crab - Robata Grilled Ribs. Both were tender and delicious. Although the portions were quite downsized for the price, the value wasn't equivalent. But by far the only go to option for a Japanese feast if in Surry Hills. Just don't expect a cheap eat by any means! B+

Oct 24, 2013

There's no question that the food here is fantastic, but we've stopped going here now because of the service and lack of booking policy. You'll easily spend $80 a head here, but if you turn up with just two of you, you get treated like you're putting everyone out by actually wanting to sit somewhere that's not next to the (very hot) grill. They say they don't take bookings, but when you request to sit at one the tables with just two seats, they're apparently booked (clearly being saved for their mates who turned up not long after us). We can't be bothered with the attitude anymore which is a shame as we'll miss their food.

Apr 25, 2013

As good as any other good quality Japanese restaurant. Not really fusion or anything different (as they claim to be) where you can get the same quality elsewhere for cheaper. Service was also minimal (i.e. hard to get attention and drinks were spilt twice).

Apr 24, 2013

Had a great evening dined here, great food and attentive staff. Love the the sashimi and the attractive dessert.

Jan 20, 2013

I love Toko and think the food is fantastic. Unfortunately, they didn't have any tuna last night which included the tuna sashimi, they had salmon instead which simply wasn't as good.

My only complaint was that they have a no booking policy and when we arrived at 7 it was already busy. Although there were tables for two at the window, we were offered a table at the cooking area or the bar. As it was super hot, we opted for the bar.

A low table isn't a problem but if you are going to use this area as a dining area, I think they need to control it better. We had people who were waiting at the bar practically sitting with us and had their glasses on our table. In a bar that's fine, but not when you're eating a $200 meal.

I will be back as the food is gorgeous and the service was great but I'll be staying well away from the bar.

Jan 05, 2013

Toko is still such a great place. After being out of town for a year it was wonderful to visit the old favorites and see they still live up to expectations and memories. loved the sushi, bbq dishes. Was great to take the family to also...

Restaurant was a little dark. The desserts were the highlight with the ice-cream box was such a hit. That milk flavoured icecream is amazing. So much so we had to have seconds:)

Dec 28, 2012