Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop

Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Awards

2011

Voted Best Thai Restaurant in Sydney 4 Years in a Row

Order Delivery or Pickup from Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop
  • Free to order with no markup!
  • Cash or credit | Instant confirmation
  • Over 1 million meals delivered!
Order Now

Overview of Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop

The iconic Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop, located in Sydney's trendy Newtown disctrict, has been a local favorite for many years -- and has continued to attract celebrities and travelers from all over the world due to its reputation for authentic Thai food, fresh ingredients, impeccable service, and truly opulent and festive ambiance.

Visit our newly launched website at www.thaipothong.com.au to make an online booking now!

You can also visit us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thai-Pothong-Restaurant-and-Gift-Shop/169343869770870

Add a Review for Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop

User Reviews of Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop, Newtown

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

My husband and I visited this restaurant for the first time recently as it had been recommended by a friend.

The service we received from the minute we were seated at our table was terrific. We were allowed to taste test the wine before purchasing and also received a verbal explanation of the specials menu.

We ended up ordering a Chilli Basil Stir-fry, Soft Shell Crab salad, a serving of coconut rice and a Massaman Curry. I thoroughly enjoyed the soft shell crab salad and it was a perfect starter selection prior our mains. The atmosphere was very vibrant around the restaurant and there is never a day when we walk past and this restaurant is not busy with a que of people waiting to be seated.

Our main dishes arrived and I have to say the Massaman curry was perfection. I think the portion size of this dish was a little bit smaller to what I am used to around our local thai restaurants, but you could surely taste the difference in quality. Unfortunately, the coconut rice was extremely bland and nothing made it stand out from normal basmati steamed rice which was disappointing.

We really love to share a serving of coconut rice during our meal and this would have to be the only criticism I have of Thai Pothong apart from the food value. The dishes here are more expensive then other Thai restaurants but at least you know that you are guaranteed to eat a good meal.

Mar 07, 2014

Food  10      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  9      Quality  9

This place is fantastic. We booked at lunch time and were glad we did because there was a queue waiting for a table when we arrived.

It was a Saturday night and the atmosphere was alive. Completely full and lots of conversation noise, but not too loud so that we couldn't talk.

The service was exceptional. I only had to catch the eye of one of the staff and they came over immediately.

The food was the best thai we have eaten in Sydney. Of note were the Betel Leaf Prawns (starter) and the Baramundi Curry (main).

Highly recommend - we will definitely be back.

Sep 01, 2013

Not entirely sure why this place is so popular... sure the service is great... however the entrees are very average and the mains did not have the wow factor...

blogRead more on my blog

Aug 19, 2013

Food  8      Ambience  8      Service  10      Value  10      Quality  10

Been to Thai pothong many times over the years. Love every single experience. food is great. The decor is nice. Prices are very reasonable. The best thing about Thai pothong I have to say is their service. Recommend it for sure!

Aug 12, 2013

Food  10      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  9      Quality  10

I dined here at Thai Pothong with my fiance last night. The exotic drink options were lovely. Our entree betel leaf was by far one of the best dishes we have ever eaten.. sour and spicy with crisp toasted coconut. Yum. Barramundi in curry with coconut rice was beautifully flavoured with sweet basil. The banana blossom salad has got to be the best banana blossom salad out there--very rich, sweet and sour...perfection. The meals were all portioned fairly and the service friendly and prompt. The meals came so quickly and the restaurant was full! Very impressed. I have dined here on several occasions and never been let down. I will be returning again and I would highly recommend this restaurant. It is by far the best Thai you will find in Sydney!

Jul 29, 2013

Food  9      Ambience  6      Service  7      Value  7      Quality  8

Totally orgasmic food! Love this restaurant! Esp the crispy pork belly (this month's special). On the down side, this place is just too noisy with all the chatters going on. I'll definitely be back!

Mobile Review Jul 17, 2013

Food  8      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  9      Quality  8

My husband & I celebrated our birthdays with family on the weekend, the staff were very attentive & made us feel special. The little touches like the balloons on the table, the little gift at the end were a bonus. The food was served promptly & tasted great. Overall I would highly recommend Thai Pathong to anyone who appreciates good food, excellent service & a really beautiful looking restaurant.

Jun 16, 2013

Food  8      Ambience  9      Service  9      Value  5      Quality  10

This review is so overdue - we celebrated 2 birthdays here and really enjoyed our experience. The starters - satays, spring rolls, fish cakes were very a great way to whet the palate. Only the Papaya salad was a washout, bland without the fire and sweet- sourness that one expects. All the mains were delicious, particularly the barramundi, pineapple fried rice , a spicy prawn curry and a vegetable curry with tofu. Service was friendly, efficient and attentive. The restaurant also very kindly waived the corkage at our requst for our champaign as they didn't stock any - the other major bonus for us was they don't charge any ridiculous cakeage and still provided attentive and genuine service. It's on the pricier side for Thai but every bit worth it.

Mar 07, 2013

Food  9      Ambience  9      Service  9      Value  9      Quality  9

One of the best Thais around in sydney. Unlike a lot of the Thai restaurants that serve too much in the way of vegetables and not enough meet this is not like this. We've been to this restaurant twice and we always enjoy the quality of the food, the ambience and politeness of waiters. Plus you can also buy Thai ornaments in this restaurant.Quite unique ! Recommended...

Feb 10, 2013

Food  1      Ambience  2      Service  1      Value  1      Quality  1

Today, Sunday for lunch, my colleagues and I stepped out of a workshop to grab a quick lunch. The restaurant had a number of tables in it, but wasn't too busy, and there were lots of staff.

What looked like the head waiter took our order... We received our rice a few minutes later. And then we waited. And waited. When we noticed that other tables had received food, a colleague asked about the food.

'I'm sure it's coming,' he said. But didn't check with the kitchen.

Another ten minutes pass and it's the end of our lunch break. I demand that he check with the kitchen.

When he comes back, he said that "they" didn't put in the order. What was even more stunning was that he didn't apologise to us, he just scurried away into the kitchen (perhaps to cancel the order, as we were getting up to leave).

So, the only thing we got in an hour was rice, and a coconut juice, which our colleague had to ask for 3 times.

You'll see from my other reviews that I'm fair, and usually generous with my ratings, but for not only the mistake but the unbelievable rudeness, Thai Pothong: you get my worst score ever.

Jan 20, 2013

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop Thai Pothong Restaurant and Gift Shop « 1 of 6 photos »