Ten Buck Alley

Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Ten Buck Alley Contact Info

Add a Review for Ten Buck Alley

User Reviews of Ten Buck Alley, Darlinghurst

TBA has great food and the staff are lovely. The coffee is excellent.

Jun 14, 2011

I'd been looking forward to my visit to Ten Buck Alley all week. After getting up early to beat the rush I arrived at the cafe at 7.30 am only to find out that on Saturdays they open at 8am (Thanks for the wrong information yourrestaurants.com!).

Things didn't start off too well. I ordered a quarter strength skim latte and the one I received looked very strong. I had to ask for another coffee to be made as the waiter had mixed up my order and told the barista (owner?) to make me a double shot 3/4 latte. When I explained to the barista what I really wanted, he was very good humoured about it and the coffee presentation was fantastic!

Ten Buck Alley use a Colombian brand of coffee called Little Marionette (if I remember correctly) and it is very drinkable. It's flavour is very distinctive but still had the caramely notes I love (no sugar needed!)

As I don't eat eggs, I skipped the free range eggs with soy linseed and asked the waiter if I could just choose toast with a selection of sides to accompany it. He agreed.

I chose the white levian sourdough with chorizo, bacon, avocado ($3.50 per side), oven roasted tomatoes and mushrooms ($3.00 per side).

The option of choosing sides to go with a basic breakfast option appeals to me and I was pleased to see the menu reflecting this.

The presentation of my brekkie was great! The toast came separately with butter on the side. My sides arrived on a plate of their own and the mushrooms in a separate bowl(on the plate), which I really appreciated as none of the other ingredients got soggy!

Each portion size was adequate. Two large slices of toast, 2 whole roma tomatoes (halved), two rashers of bacon, half an avocado and the chorizo was large.

My favourite items were the sourdough which was lightly toasted with a delightful tangy sour taste. The chorizo was spicy and was complemented by the full flavoured herbed tomatoes.

The best thing about the whole meal was that all the ingredients were fresh and delicious!

Being early in the morning the ambience was lacking a little but I did enjoy triple j being played on the radio. I was a little disappointed with my waiter who also forgot my cutlery, which I had to ask for.

However, I left the cafe sated (truth be told, a little too full - but that's my fault for ordering lots of tasty morsels!)and felt my bill of $22.80 was justified - mainly because the ingredients were of a high quality.

I look forward to trying more of the menu options at Ten Buck Alley and recommend you try it too!

Feb 19, 2011

Prime example of a small "hood" cafe where you know the owner and the regulars and feel at home, only if mum could make coffee as good as this to go along with the avo bruschetta, missed it dearly.

Mar 18, 2010

Best coffee we have had in ages. We will drive from bondi on a saturday to get a coffee here. Nick has spoiled me for drinking coffee anywhere else, I always compare to his. Wish he was open sunday!

Aug 16, 2009

I love this place! Firstly the coffee is amazing hence the reason we will walk the extra distance for our daily hit of caffeine. Nick the owner/barista is super friendly and seems to remember everyones name. If you are after a bite to eat, try the steak sandwich or chorizo pasta as they are so good!

I agree with the review below that this place is the 'find of the year.' Great service, great food and above all great coffee.

Jun 25, 2009

We love that they are now open on weekends for brekkie. My partner describes 10 Buck Alley at 'our find of the year' which is a big call in March, but he has a point! Our favourite brekkie is the avocado on what they call croutons but most of us know as thin soy and linseed toast. I can't understand how they can afford to put so much avo on for the price. Good paper selection and magazines.

Mar 14, 2009

Great coffee, cheeky and cheerful staff, best avocado spread ever.

Nov 24, 2008

Love the coffee here. Its the only place I will go on a working day for my coffee fix. Laid back, cool atmosphere.

Jan 23, 2008

This is a great neighbourhood cafe. Excellent coffee made by a barista who I am going to assume may be the owner because of the extra care he puts in. The food is always fresh and uses good produce, I am not usually a salad only person but their chicken one and their nicoise are delicious and filling.

This place has all the basics which so many Darlinghurst cafes don't - good service, great coffee, tasty reasonably priced food, and no shortage of newspapers! Thankfully for regulars it hasn't been over hyped, which is actually surprising. It's also a short walk from Stanley St and far superior to any brekky going there.

Sep 18, 2007

Featured Offers

Jah Bar » Manly
    50% Off Food Bill (Dinner). Book online now!

Get news, specials and deals