Spicy Sichuan Restaurant

Chinese

Chef

Master Chef Libo

Overview of Spicy Sichuan Restaurant

Located in the CBD off Cunningham Street, Spicy Sichuan is the new and exciting Sichuan experience right in the heart of Sydney. Providing a tantalising mixture of authentic Sichuan culinary masterpieces created by our Sichuan Master Chefs on a daily basis.

Add a Review for Spicy Sichuan Restaurant

User Reviews of Spicy Sichuan Restaurant, Sydney CBD

Wanted to try this place for ages. All up, we found the food really tasty and interesting, not a dud among any of the dishes. The lamb ribs in cumin had so much flavour, juicy, fatty and unusual. A chili chicken had the interesting addition of cubed lotus roots. A beef in cumin was not bad. The whole table loved their version of Mapo Tofu, as well as the slightly sweet eggplant hotpot, and the crispy shelled prawns.

The craziest dish was a large glass baking dish filled with pieces of tofu, fish, chilis and pepper, served with two candles underneath to keep it bubbling. It had a numbing rather than spicy chili (the sichuan peppercorns, I believe), with a taste, earthy and slightly charred, that I don’t remember ever trying before. We all agreed that it's well worth trying again!

blogRead more on my blog

Feb 03, 2014

Very traditional Chinese restaurant. Definitely not your modern twist or anything fancy. Just good food, in good servings!

Service was a little all over the place but we left satisfied so the food won at the end of the day.

Definitely not a place for fine dining, better if in a group so you can grab a few dishes and fill yourself up!

Sep 16, 2012

Went there for hotpot with my usual hotpot friends. The food was nothing spectacular, some of the beef was actually so bad we didn't eat it. Service was extremely slow, the place is very understaffed, I had to order the same thing three times before they served it and when they did, they served three of it. Ventilation is also a huge problem, my clothes smelled like hotpot for the next few days.

Apr 11, 2012

My family went there for dinner last thursday. It was my first time went to there. The ambience is very good and very Chinese. The servers was actually good, not that bad as I saw from other review. I do believe the boys and girls there wanna try their best to serve every customer. The most important thing I have to say, is I love the food there! They did very traditional chinese sichuan food. Spicy and tasty. One dish with pork blood jelly was impress me by the dish size and taste. Highly recommend. I think the people who love to try spicy food, won't miss this restaurant! I'll be back absolutely!

Apr 02, 2012

We went there for lunch as a large group. The food and ambience is not so bad, but the service is horrible.

First of all, the restaurant is obviously short of waiters. Most of the time, the waiters disappear from the whole restaurant. They only appear to take your orders. Otherwise, it looks a really long time to find a waiter to refill the teapot or refilling rice. When you call them for too many times, they will just give you an annoyed face. In the end, we were too scared to request for any extra service.

After ordering, it took a really long time before first dish was served. And when the dishes were served, they were not hot any more.

In addition, the restaurant has a serious shortage of spoons. We were initially not given any spoons. When we requested, they could only find a few spoons. I wonder, how the restaurant is operating without enough dining utensils?

In the end, we spent two hours on waiting and couldn't finish the lunch before the restaurant closing time. They rudely asked us to pay the bill before we finish our food. They even off the lights and started mopping the floor.

I hope this horrible experience can help you to decide whether to go to this restaurant or not.

Mar 11, 2012

Awful service. Waitors walk right past us. Tried their all-you-can-eat steamboat, but were told that they "ran out" of most of the meats. When we tried to order a 2nd serving of tofu and vegetables they came back with 3 stems of veges and two pieces of tofu. What a rip off!

Jun 01, 2011

Authentic szechuanese cuisines! If u love spicy it is definitely d place 2 go! If not that into spicy, there are stil some nice special dishes to choose from. It's not all about chilli!

Apr 01, 2011

Awful place. Every dish I tried was poor. Warm, room temperature beer too. Poor service, waiters dont even look at you or even say anything! Best avoided. I went home hungry, unable to eat eny of the dishes!

Mar 27, 2011

I actually like its decoration and atmosphere in the store, and I like the lame rib and spicy chicken dishes. It's kind of medium to high class restaurant, we spent like 30-40 bulks pp, but it is a good experience and I will definitely come back!

Mar 25, 2011

We have been here twice now. First time, we had some cold dishes and the rabbit (great!). No major complaints, except the beers were warm. We got colder ones on our second round.

Second time, our experience did not match our first.
    * Beers were warm, even when colder ones were requested. We resorted to getting an ice bucket in the vain attempt to get the temperature down.
    * "Cold" dishes were warm to hot. Black fungus was in hot sesame oil.
    * The "Prawns in aspic" entree was singularly awful. No prawns, aspic had no flavour, and was dominated by boiled eggs.
    * The "Scallops in chilli" main was too sweet, using too much tomato ketchup.
    * Bill included a tea surcharge, even though we never received a teapot.

All in all, this restaurant is inconsistent. There are far better options for Sichuan in the city.

Nov 06, 2010