Shiki

Private Room

Add a Review for Shiki

User Reviews of Shiki, The Rocks

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

A whole new experience for me. I had a short break in Sydney and was happy to spend it alone. Honestly I needed a real break from my country, so here I am writing a review about my experience at a restaurant that I will never forget. It was a warm day in Sydney and had been walking around the city quite a bit. The word shiki managed to cross my view when I walked up a street called argyle, black printed text with the japanese symbol. I headed upstairs and while walking through the glass entry door I could smell meat and hear what seemed to be a mini barbecue dish at the table.

I was greeted with one of the waiters and heard others saying what I thought was "rushmasay". I had later asked what that word was and had it written down. It was a general greeting in japanese for the customers which was actually "Irrashaimase". The waiter asked if I had a booking and then showed me to my table which ended up being at the back in a corner with a nice view that could overlook the 2 streets that intersected where the restaurant was situated.

I felt happy and was not in rush to do anything else. At the time it was not busy but I thought hey, its a warm day, people must feel like going to the coast. There was a nice selection on the menu and I have never seen or heard most of the dishes on there, well not from what I have experienced. Though I did decide on ordering dish by dish. I had sashimi entree, it was lovely with the white soy sauce, then had a light seaweed salad with a miso soup.

Later at about 8pm more and more customers started to come in and this is when it started getting busy. I then attempted the mini barbecue, which was called a gan-en rock pink salt grill with Wagyu. Oh it was so good, never had meat so tender before. The evening was splendid and loved the view from where I was sitting. I was fulfilled but wanted something nice and light to end the night off with. At that time one of the waiters had asked if I'd like to make any last orders and presented me with a dessert menu, (just what I was looking for) there was this amazing dessert dish called strawberry zenzai. With green tea ice cream, little sticky rice and sweet red beans, I didn't manage to finish it all, but this was a great evening.

I was really pleased with the service provided and how each one of my dishes were explained in detail. At the end of the evening I thanked all the waiters and managers, had a little chat with each as well as the owner. It was awesome.Tthank you so much shiki.

Nov 15, 2012

I've never been to Shiki before until it was recommended to me a week ago from a friend. He said "you gota try the wagyu steak there, it will make your mouth tingle with juiciness and flavor". I said "ok", thought I had that feeling before. I was wrong.

Went there to celebrate my 21st with 5 friends and we all ordered the wagyu steak, salad starters and portion of the rock salt grill which looked real interesting. You get to fry your own meat on this mini rock salt. It was awesome. It was only a bit pricey for me, being a uni student and all, but it's not everyday we get to celebrate a day such as that with great food. Thanks Shiki

Sep 17, 2012

Had dinner here for the first time last week and the staff were great! very friendly very helpful!

We had the 'Shiki special platter' The food was really something special and the sashimi was the best I have ever had and I have had a lot! I will be going back here again! (I have attached a photo of the platter, before the platter came out we had some starters and miso soup which was included in the price)
    we also ordered the dessert tasting menu and it was great!

Shiki Special Platter

Jun 12, 2012

Been here for lunch and been here for dinner, simply splendid. The decor is subtle but pleasant and the atmosphere always pleasant.

The food is just amazing, not cheap, but a different level altogether to the sushi you'll find elsewhere. But by far and the most important part of the experience for me was the staff. The chef was happy to chat and tell us more about the food, the manager was attentive not overbearing and the smiles were genuine. That's gold.

Seriously, great place and one I am happy to take my clients to anytime.

Feb 15, 2012

Went to this restaurant with my gf for first time. As my friends recommended it was one of the best japanese dining experience. Ordered their monthly degustation menu plus wagyu on pink salt plate. The degustation menu was very innovative and all the dishes tasted amazing.

The highlight of dinner was the wagyu on pink salt plate. Service was really attentive, friendly and polite. I must try their tatami private room next time.
    Strongly recommend this restaurant. Thanks my waiter J!

Feb 08, 2012

I dined here for lunch on a Thursday. I thought the food was of average quality. Nothing wrong with the sushi and sashimi, but it was similar to what you could grab at any cheap suburban Japanese. The soft shelled crab was soggy and wagyu was overcooked. The wine list is limited, and the restaurant is tired looking. On the plus side, the service was good and it was not expensive for lunch.

Aug 18, 2011

We had great dinner at shiki beginning of August. It wasn't so busy coz just middle of weekday. We tried monthly degustation, starting Natural oyster with pink salt jelly which was outstanding! I wanted to try as A la carte... followed by sashimi, saikyoyaki and many more... all delicious and great service and cheerful sushi chef. We are sure to come back soon, shiki!

Aug 05, 2011

It would seem I had a different experience to most at this restaurant. My partner and I arrived at 6:30 and were warmly greeted. We ordered several entrees and mains. The soft shell crab entree was greasy and not crunchy.

By this stage - first entree, one hour had passed. Each time I wished for a wine I had to grab a waiter as they walked past, for the glass to arrive some 10 minutes later.

The mains arrived about 8:15. A plate of Ngiri, spider crab maki and wagyu steak. The ngiri was average, particularly the snapper. It had been butchered before serving and was a mince on top of the rice. The spider crab maki was again greasy.

We had ordered some sashimi to follow, as this is how my partner and I like to dine, but we left at 9:30 as it was arriving.

I have personally had better japanese food at a shopping centre. But... Many of the asian diners here were having a great time and those enjoying the hot pots were being served consistently.

I do feel sorry for the other young couple sat in the corner who were there before us and still there after us.

Jul 17, 2011

I had dinner at Shiki on 1st May. They have just started new menu which is various Hot-Pot dishes. I tried "The Wild Boar Hot-pot", it was the first time to try "wild boar" in my life. The meat wasn't tough, truly I can say the taste was that wild boar meat with their special sweet miso broth sooooo good! Waiter said Shiki is really proud of their own "dashi", I can understand it. They also have "snow crab" "wagyu' hot-pot as well, so I will definitely be back to try others in this winter!

May 02, 2011

I went to Shiki yesterday and had "Pink rock salt with wagyu" it was really nice, good taste and good presentation! Actually last time i went there before huge renovation. Now looks much better and some dishes are changed also good way. One thing I missed it was toro coz they said they had it in last week. Anyway I'll go next time and try it. Oh, of course service was great nothing changed as last time.

Apr 12, 2011