Shanghai Dumpling

Wheelchair Access

Add a Review for Shanghai Dumpling

User Reviews of Shanghai Dumpling, Ashfield

Page: 1 2 3 Next

So, we came here for lunch today. Clearly mixed up by the abundance of places in Ashfield using "Shanghai" in the name. I think we had wanted to go to "New Shanghai". The tacky decor looked promising, as we imagined that it would be made up by delicious food.

Service wasn't that great,seated ourselves and didn't get a menu for about 10 minutes despite waving for waitresses.

The array of sauces and condiments should have been a warning sign, to make up for the bland, tasteless food. We ordered prawn and chive dumplings dry, pork and spinach dumplings as a soup and szechuan chicken and noodles. None of these dishes were a standout.

The soup for the soup dumplings tasted as weak as water. Dumplings dry and tasteless inside. Barely any chicken on the szechuan chicken and a humungus amount of hokkien noodles in an unfamiliar sauce. The only thing that made these meals digestable was the sauce loaded with MSG.

If you are looking for something flavourless and poor in quality to fill your stomach for a low price then come here. I would honestly prefer quality over quantity. Definitely will not return.

Jun 08, 2013

The dumplings are made fresh, you can see them in the front window making them. I'm asian and we don't know what good service involves. Speed at sitting people down and giving them a menu is important. We got that but it was unfortunate to see others come in later have to serve themselves with finding a seat and giving themselves menus.

The place is ordinary, clean as you'd expect any restaurant. The food was good. Different from ordinary chinese food. Nice dumplings. I'd like to go again to try other dumplings. Reasonable prices and good food.

Oct 05, 2012

Ordered the dumplings and the stir fry noodles with chicken in chilli sichuan oil. Out of the two, the noodles were probably the better pick as the noodles had a nice texture but still average dish compared to stir fry noodle dishes. The dumpling were filled generously but were somewhat bland, and the skin just too thick. Service is minimal, yet this place was busy on a friday lunch.

Sep 21, 2012

Just used my scoupon here for takeaway dumplings. Wow, they really were fantastic! I had the pork and spinach dumplings in broth. They were really big and I couldn't even finish the meal. Normally this goes for about $10, so excellent value. The restaurant is Very casual, which is what you expect from a dumpling place. It's not somewhere I would go to "dine out" but I know where I'll be going when I want dumplings.

The place is immaculate and stringently clean. The waitress cleaned up the condiment bar 3 times while I was there and I was there for only about ten minutes. Great takeaway spot or a place to drop into for a casual feed.

May 01, 2012

Shanghai dumpling restaurant is not the most aesthetically pleasing restaurant, and the staff are not the friendliest people in the world but oh my god the dumplings here are the best I've ever had. You can watch the ladies making them behind the glass so you know they're super fresh. The service isn't fantastic, and it's always very busy so I recommend take away but get in early because every time I've been after 7.30/8 they've run out of something I wanted.

Aug 07, 2011

Had a really dreadful experience here when I last visited. We told our waitress that one of our party had an allergy to nuts, and she confirmed that none of the dishes ordered contained nuts or peanut oil. We were served a cold noodle salad with vegetables and shredded chicken. My friend tasted a small morsel and, feeling that something was not right, immediately put it down.

Within several minutes her lips, eyes and throat began to swell. We called the waitress over and asked her to check the precise ingredients of the dish with the chef. She returned to inform us the dish included peanut oil! Fortunately, my friend had only injested a tiny morsel. Unfortunately, the senior staff was not at all sympathetic when we brought the problem to her attention and we were charged for the offending item. I've been a regular for about 10 years but will not be returning again.

Nov 15, 2010

Brilliant dumplings, nothing more, nothing less. Tender wrapping and fine fillings, delicious, clean and fresh flavours. A great cheap eats place, no frills, no fuss but some seriously tasty dumplings!

May 30, 2010

They are fab. The fare is simple yet delicious. The simplicity of the meals allows the condiments provided to used as much or as little as you like.

Aug 30, 2009

This is a very simple restaurant. Choose 5 dumplings with noodles or 10 dumplings and either dish will land on your table in a weak broth that I suspect is the water used to heat the dumplings. Add the chili, lemon or other condiments and feast on very fresh, satisfying (if simple food). Soft drinks are a ripoff at $3.50.

Jul 16, 2009

Everything is very basic here, from the food to the fit-out to the service. All dumplings only come in soup, with optional noodles, as far as I can tell. The dumplings come in big slippery wrappers and are some of the tastier ones I've had. Soup though was rather bland and under-seasoned, and I found myself attempting to correct it to my tastes with soy sauce.

While speed of service isn't a problem, the guy who served me didn't smile at all and hardly spoke a word. I'm not rushing to come back here, there are plenty of other restaurants on Liverpool Rd to choose from.

Dec 11, 2008

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Shanghai Dumpling Shanghai Dumpling Shanghai Dumpling Shanghai Dumpling Shanghai Dumpling Shanghai Dumpling