Shancheng Hotpot King

Mon to Sun 11:30am - Midnight

Add a Review for Shancheng Hotpot King

User Reviews of Shancheng Hotpot King, Haymarket

Page: 1 2 3 Next

The worst meal ever. Never going back. Appalling service.

Aug 26, 2012

One of the best Chinese hotpot places in Sydney.

Location is inside an arcade. Wait can be up to 45 minutes on a busy Friday + weekend night.

Selection of dishes is extensive. They also have an entree dish of steamed chicken in chili oil, which is fantastic, must try!

Make sure you order Tsingtao beer as this pairs perfectly with the spicy food you'll be enjoying. Just be careful of the chili soup, it is extremely peppery and spicy, ask for mil or medium if you're unsure.

Prices are reasonable and well suited for a group of hungry diners. Costs is around $25-40pp. Highly recommended.

Jul 17, 2012

Booked for a Fri night which was just as well as big queue at the door. The booking didn't get us an immediate table but did push us towards the front of the queue so the wait wasn't too long. This is not a first date place but for a knockabout evening with a bunch of friends its good fun. Took heed of previous reviews and went no further than the standard chilli which was hot enough for us. We shared a good mix of chicken, beef, pork and veges and ended up at about $120 for six which was very reasonable.

Jul 12, 2012

'Dining out again'

11th June was my birthday and we celebrated with a steam boat meal. The food and service is great. They even gave us a bottle of champagne. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a steam boat meal.

Jun 11, 2012

Perfect place to go on a cold winter's night. Hits the spot and great square spacious table to talk over a split pot in the middle. I go here 3-4 times a month in winter or summer! Its that good! When they closed down for renovations in Jan/Feb 2012, it was torture!

The renovations was for the better though and now the dining experience is even better with partitions everywhere and ipad ordering menus. Though some of the prices did go slightly higher and some portions have decreased in size.

May 27, 2012

It's been a long time (a few years) since I've been back here. I was pleasantly surprised to find they've revamped the entire restaurant with spacious seating and new ordering functionality. When you order, you're given an iPad where you can select by category (meat, veg, sides, sauces etc) and you select whichever items you want. Upon lodgement, our food arrived within 10 minutes. Talk about ultra efficiency.

We went for a split pot of half chicken broth/spice. We went for extra mild spice/medium pepper. This was just right for us (and I'm half thai, we eat chilli's for breakfast). You can also adjust the chilli oil, and we went for 'less chilli oil'.

The service was great, there are always people standing by to give a helping hand, remove plates or assist. It is a little pricey, but the overall experience was great. Upon leaving, we all agreed we would definitely consider returning. Booking is essential. We got in at 6pm and left at 8pm. There were about 30 people waiting outside.

As per a previous review, this place is very authentic so it's not for the faint hearted. You'll see a lot of items on the menu that may not be offered elsewhere which stands further to the point this is 'the real deal'.

Be warned: If you go the super spicy option with the dried chillis and extra pepper seeds thrown in, you're not only going to sweat and, perhaps, cry but your skull feels a little tingly. Your mouth will also feel a little numb. You will be punched in the mouth with spice.

May 21, 2012

The food was delicious, but beware of the spicy soup! I eat a lot of spicy food, and even the mildly spicy soup was quite hot. It was very good value, just under $20 a head. But don't go there for the ambience. It also gets quite crowded, so a booking is recommended.

May 03, 2012

Ok, let get real here. If your idea of Chinese food is honey King Prawns and Sweet and Sour Pork. Don't go here! This is the real deal, the Only real deal Hotpot in Sydney and I have tried about 9 in Hurstville, Ashfield and Haymarket/Chinatown and a joke of a place in Melbourne. The Hot

Menu is designed to cater to the majority Mainland clients, so, again, don't complain about the "weird" things on offer. Few things to watch out for. Spicy is Real spicy, but, don't let them talk you down if you really like spicy food. Extra pepper and hot chilli Is the way to go if you wanna burn! Every time we get a new wait-person, they try and talk us into going "normal", till we find an old hand to sort our order out. Half and half is only for sissy boys and women.

Service is as good or better than Mainland big city places, but, you still may get very angry or frustrated waiting here. It's authentic in more ways than one and you never see the customers shouting at the staff! Major thing to look out for! They Will bring you warm beer if you don't tell them not too! Again, Many people in China drink room temp beer, so it's not out of place, just not on for us whiteys!

Hope this helps.

Apr 19, 2012

My family and I just wandered in off the street, looking for an authentic and good value Chinese meal. None of us had a Chinese hotpot before, so we needed a little help with the menu. The advice our waitress gave us was spot-on for quantity to order and going half spicy, half chicken soup.

We find most Asian restaurants catering to Western tastes tone down the spiciness of the food too much for our tastes. No such problem here, the normal spicy/normal pepper spicy soup was plenty hot enough for us. The chilli was fine, but if we accidentally chewed a peppercorn, the effect was pretty brutal. I'd maybe go normal spicy/no pepper next time, but I'd suggest mild spicy at the most for most Westeners. The chicken soup provided a welcome relief for my wife and son, but my daughter and I stayed with the spicy soup and relished it.

As my wife won't eat offal of any kind, we stayed with safe choices in the meats - beef, lamb and chicken, along with a variety of veges and a dumpling and the fish egg balls. The soups made the meats very flavoursome and the sesame and garlic sauce was a delicious complement.

Most plates of ingredients provided 2-3 pieces each and we had 8 plates all up for 4 of us, which we found plenty filling. At $64 for 4 people, we thought it was excellent value, the only drink we had was the table water. The staff were attentive and efficient, impressive given that it was Saturday night, the restaurant was full and there was a queue of about 2 dozen outside waiting for tables.

I'd love to go back and try some of the more adventurous meat options. Definitely a great value restaurant. And as for authenticity? We were the only gweilo in the restaurant, which says a lot to me.

Mar 25, 2012

What I love about Shancheng Hotpot King is their soup, it taste amazing! I’ve tried various hotpot restaurants in Sydney and this place is by far the best. I recommend you order half chicken soup and half spicy soup (with no peppers), this way you get to try two different soups but also if you can’t handle the chilli at least you have the chicken soup.

blogRead more on my blog

Feb 23, 2012