Shalom Indonesian Restaurant

Mon to Sat 11am - 10pm
Sun 5pm - 10pm

Add a Review for Shalom Indonesian Restaurant

User Reviews of Shalom Indonesian Restaurant, Sydney CBD

Terrible restaurant. There are only two appealing aspects to this restaurant. The price - most dishes are in-expensive and the choice - there many dishes to choose from. But, that is about it! Everything else is terrible.

While there are a lot of dishes, many that we tried were below par for an indonesian restaurant. Some of the food we received wasn't even hot and had to be sent back. They also really need to work on the timing, some people got their dishes well before others.

This brings me to the service. It is utterly hopeless. They will not take your order!! They expect you to write what you want on a piece of paper and hand it to them. Obviously this has its pitfalls as everyone's handwriting is different and can at times be hard to read. I think they know this, and when we passed the paper to them, they said they couldn't read it.

This wasn't the end of it, the service is just bad. They forgot one of our dishes and didn't even apologise. We also asked for a glass of warm water and they said they couldn't even do that. Silly. Save yourself the hassle and try some where else. The food is not that great and the service is just plain bad.

Mobile Review Jun 01, 2014

This restaurant is quite unbelievable...

1) Have to pay for water? Isn't this illegal for restaurants now?
    2) Served burnt satays?
    3) No service whatsover

Doesn't this place get embarrassed by how well home thai is doing next door? The nice looking website and decor is misleading. Do not go there! You will be depressed for rest of the night...

blogRead more on my blog

May 10, 2013

Don't be fooled by the appearance from the outside.

'1' is far too generous a rating for this restaurant... sorry, did I say "restaurant"? It feels more like a food-court! Don't expect to be greeted when you walk through the door. Don't expect for your orders to be taken at your table. Service? What service?

Food.. if you can call it that? Our lamb satay dish tasted more like burnt cardboard. Please note that I am not even exaggerating! It was so tough, that we couldn't even chew through it.

The spicy chicken noodles... well sure, it was just that. A bit of strange tasting chicken, some instant noodles, smothered in chilli sauce. Bon appetit!

Oh and don't bother asking for water at your table - apparently your only choice of water is bottled water which you must pay for!

Apr 27, 2013

I went to Shalom Restaurant on Sunday for lunch with my wife and friends. The lady who wore black shirt/dress ( she might be the manager of the restaurant or some one who incharge) was very rude when we ordered a meal which the restaurant did not have it. The way she told us was so unfriendly and so rude. I was warned by other friends (who had the same experience with the rude lady staff) not to go to Shalom Restaurant on Sussex St because of the rude lady staff but I kept going to the restaurant. I think it was my biggest mistake not to listen to my friends.

Feb 11, 2013

A place where you have to order at the counter, the food was nice but its not really value for money when you see the portion sizes, they are small. I had 2 mains and was still a little hungry. The food's presentation isn't the best but thanksfully it tastes good. I have to say their drinks are particularily good. Menu seems limited also

May 15, 2011

Great Indonesian food. Love it. Been having food at Shalom for the last 5 years. Amazingly impressed by the consistency they deliver. People say Mexican food or Indian food is hot (spicy). I would say try the food at Shalom. If you love spicy food. Shalom is the place. You will not be disappointed. Also, the food is very cheap too. I would certainly recommend number 71c, 72, and 94 (Satay Lamb) from the menu. Top Notch food for less than $10.

Apr 19, 2011

'I love good food'

We have eaten here many times and no nothing of the Broadway one. The food is great, authentic and reasonably priced. However, they are a little uncertain about BYO, yes I get that it is a Islamic restaurant, they seemed to think they did not have the appropriate licence. We love this place, we will be back.

Aug 06, 2010

Small menu but tasty food based on what I have tried so far, lamb curry and chicken mushroom noodle. Inexpensive.

Aug 01, 2010

Good food for student, no service (self service) and waiter even took so long to clean the table for new customers and need to pay for tap water (What the?).

Apr 23, 2010