Seven Lanterns

Bookings are preferred
Ph 02 9522 2422
SMS 0439 001 541
email 7lanterns@gmail.com
Pls specify when booking to be seated @ Teppan bar (max 8)

Teppanyaki Bar
Linear seating around Teppan (NO FOOD THROWING)
Seating Capacity 8

Tue to Sun from 6pm
Remarks
Pls let us know when booking to be seated @Teppan bar (max 8)
Lunch available for Function
Open on Christmas Eve
Open on New Years Eve

Bottled Wine Only
Corkage Per Person $3.00

Specialties

• 'Angus Beef' : Black Angus Steak with Honey Roasted Soy Sauce
  • 'Emperor's Prawn' : Seafood Sauce on Teppan-grilled King Prawn
  • 'Beef Rib Hot Pot' : Slow cooked Short Rib in Garlic & Caramelised Onion Reduction
  • Sticky Date Pudding in Melting Caramel Sauce with ice cream

Gault et Millau - One Chef Hat

Dimmi Best Degustation Sydney

Dimmi Best Asian Restaurant Sydney

Overview of Seven Lanterns

The menu specialising in degustation constantly evolving through collaboration and conflicting influence of 4 young & ambitious resident Chefs - Japanese, Korean, Mediterranean and French Pastry, providing sumptuous Fine Dining experience amongst Art & Antique Decor. Strong emphasis on Quality of Produce and Presentation rather than entertainment (No food throwing). Upper level seating up to 70 with a seperate bar has a classic and intimate setting suitable for any type of function.

Add a Review for Seven Lanterns

User Reviews of Seven Lanterns, Sylvania

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Popped in on a Sunday evening to a quite place here in Seven Lanterns. Unfortunately the waiter was too busy dancing behind the bar whilst putting glasses away to notice us standing there. I was almost ready to turn out of the door when he finally noticed. The food, after a relatively short wait, was tasty but the quantity minute--disappointing. I waited for the dessert menu, but the waiter was still dancing. I had to wait for him to notice we were at the bar to pay our bill. Goodbye.

Response from Management:
    Bloody Gang-nam Style! Every time the darn song is played... I am so sorry but I have banned the loop function on our audio and furthermore dancing to the song in any way or form is banned til further notice pending on other diners reaction to this unfortunate event! Next time however IF this happens again, we will go out of our way to welcome you and all you have to do is just say "Hello".

Apr 01, 2014

Went to Seven Lanterns for "Valentine's Day" but had to go the day after Valentine's Day as it was booked out when I tried to make the booking.
    We were seated in the upstairs section which I appreciated as it seemed quieter than downstairs and a bit more private. The décor was pleasant and conducive to a relaxed atmosphere.

We ordered the degustation menu as it seemed a good way to try different things. I was a bit apprehensive because I am not a big eater and don't like to feel bloated at the end of a night, but the menu claimed that the meals were portion controlled to be enjoyed easily by one person so I trusted that.

Rest assured that you won't feel as if you have over-eaten. The portions are very small, but by the time you have had the 7 dishes you should feel reasonably fed, unless you are someone who really likes a big feed in which case you should probably head to an all-you-can eat buffet.

The accent here is definitely on quality, and it doesn't disappoint at all on that score. There wasn’t a dish we didn’t like, and we particularly enjoyed the pork belly (enjoyed guilt-free because of the portion size!) – not just because of the pork & crackling but the accompaniments of daikon and lemon/apple/honey sauce that just combined brilliantly. You choose from 2 mains and 2 desserts.

The ribs sounded “to die for” but I was again apprehensive about having a meal that might be messy to eat, but again the waitress reassured me that it was not at all messy and that the meat would just fall off the bone. Tick, tick and again tick – it was to die for, it was not at all messy and the meat fell off the bone. Absolutely delicious.

And so to dessert – sticky date pudding with caramel sauce and ice-cream. I was worried this might be heavy and sickly rich but again there was no problem. The pudding was not heavy or overly rich and for once it was nice to have a dessert delivered with a scoop of ice-cream that was a decent size. It is a pet hate of mine that when restaurants serve ice-cream on the side it is often a dollop no bigger than a dessertspoon. It was a relief to have a decent serve of ice-cream so the pudding and sauce could be enjoyed without being too cloying from lack of ice-cream.

To top off what had already been a great night, we had David come to our table and those of the others upstairs for a personable chat and to check how things were going. The first thing he did was to notice that one guest was shivering from being seated directly opposite the aircon and so insisted that they move to another table out of the airstream.

He then decided that as there was just a handful of us there and it was the day after Valentine’s Day that we should celebrate a day late anyhow and brought us all some champagne on the house. This just finished things off perfectly from what had been a really enjoyable night. I also would like to comment on the toilet facilities which were beautifully presented and clean.

The only perplexing thing to resolve is the issue that on the one hand there are real favourite dishes on the menu that guests always remember and come back for… against the need to also change the menu so regular customers also have different offerings. Perhaps one idea to try might be to have one degustation menu of “all time favourites” and another which is the seasonal one. That way those who want to have the “classic” house dishes can stick to the tried-and-true and those who want to have a different dining experience can try something new each time?

Feb 17, 2014

Food  8      Ambience  8      Service  9

Went to the Seven Lanterns last night for my sons birthday based upon recommendations he had received from friends & colleagues (he is has just completed his third year as an apprentice chef). The food was excellent, especially the beef hotpot. David was kind enough to explain the dishes & even gave away some trade secrets in regard to the preparation of the dishes. A very enjoyable experience. Stuart.

Response from Management:
    Thanks Stuart O... for sharing with half million eatability members that I 'even gave away trade secrets' with you, Well, secrets no more now... only joking.. More likely your son with 3 yrs of new & fresh learning could teach me a thing or two! See you soon

Jan 09, 2014

Wonderful place, love the atmosphere. Food is excellent too, could improve on the service but I would go again.

Response from Management:
    Assuming Good = Food = excellent, I only need to work harder on the service! We will. Thank you Veronika S.

Jan 06, 2014

'happy'

Food  9      Ambience  7      Service  10      Value  7      Quality  9

Wow! Great explosion of flavours in your mouth. The presentation was amazing on the your plate. Seven Lanterns is definitely a special place to visit if you like something different. I feel everything from service to food was above my expectations. One last thing David the owner is very attentive with his diners & nothing is to much trouble. A place worth visiting & I will definitely be back.

Response from Management:
    Wow, Great explosion of compliments!!! I'm gonna read it over and over again... now, where's my red.. Thanks Choc 71

Mobile Review Nov 03, 2013

Food  7      Ambience  7      Service  6      Value  4      Quality  6

Seven Lanterns is a nice restaurant with an interesting concept. A little bit pricey but well worth it.

Response from Management:
    Critical compliment. Thank you.

Aug 08, 2013

Food  8      Ambience  8      Service  6      Value  6      Quality  8

My husband and I went on Saturday night, I was shocked when there was no vegetarian on the menu, but thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered. Loved the kimchi. Would of liked to have a gin and tonic, but no spirits as well. I felt like the staff couldn't quite understand what I was saying at times. Would love to go back if I didn't have a budget. The soft shell crab was beautiful.

Response from Management:
    I'm sorry you missed out on our vegetarian dishes (AND Degustation), Toni32. Pls make sure you let us know when you book. We specially design and prepare dishes that require dietary needs ONLY when we have prior knowledge. Hope to see you soon.

Aug 04, 2013

Food  9      Ambience  7      Service  9      Value  7      Quality  8

My wife and I entertained three guests, two of whom were from overseas. The food was great as was the service. I recommend this restaurant highly.

Response from Management:
    We're very pleased that you and your overseas guests had a good experience at Seven Lanterns. As we do not advertise, your recommendation is extremely important to us! Thank you

Jun 17, 2013

Food  10      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  8      Quality  10

I've been here a couple of times now, its a bit far and a bit expensive for me to go to regularly but I do love the food so it's worth the trip for special occasions!

Is it a complaint or a compliment that they change their menu regularly? Well there are definitely things I missed the second time around (the one with the Australian sauce, you know what I'm talking about!), but regulars would probably get bored with the same menu continually. Love the seafood, the emperor prawns and pretty much all the entrees. Amazing pork/beef dishes and sake-sangria as well.

After dining at many restaurants with indifferent or rude staff and owners, David was a refreshing and delightful change with great personal service, going to each table to personally ensure everything was okay. All the best for you and your restaurant David- if you had a half price menu option I would be back more regularly! :)

Response from Management:
    As you pointed out changing menu creates mixed responses from our diners but as with any job, doing same thing over and over can be extremely monotonous for us chefs, or even worse become dispassionate. Creating and presenting new dishes is an euphoric buzz... that's when it works, of course! Thanks for your understanding 'MissC'

May 25, 2013

Food  10      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  8      Quality  10

Our 5th time here now and we absolutely love this place! David is always so friendly, talkative and generous (thank you for our sample Sake :)

The beef ribs are to die for and for the first time in my life, I ate crab and caviar which was so so delicious! Oh and did I mention the Sake Sangria! Yummmm

We only come every few months as it is on the pricey side but we think its definately worth it! Thanks again David.

Response from Management:
    Geeeees, I'm glad I didn't know you were having the very first Crab of your life time at my restaurant, because I would've been worried shite-less until you've finished it - without choking up with crustation allergies.... although, trusty Sake Sangria would've dulled onset of any pain! Oh, man..excitement never ends at Seven Lanterns. Thanks a lot 'Nichole29'

May 16, 2013

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Entrance Soft Shell Crab (Photo by NQN) Beef Rib (Photo by NQN) Salmon Roll (Photo by NQN) Emperor's Prawn (Photo by NQN) Dessert (Photo by NQN) Seven Lanterns Ummm.... Creamy Miso Scallops Don Katsu Nuggets.. New Seafood Roll « 1 of 10 photos »