Scarlett Restaurant

Private Room

EFTPos
Diners

Overview of Scarlett Restaurant

Fine dining steeped in history is brought to life again at Scarlett Restaurant, the oldest new restaurant in Sydney. Serving breakfast lunch and dinner daily.

Add a Review for Scarlett Restaurant

User Reviews of Scarlett Restaurant, The Rocks

Service  1

My family and I booked here 3 weeks in advance (a table for 3). Travelled from Melbourne, on the night of our booking we very eagerly made our way there via public transport, after arriving we walked in and he immediately said "hi do you have a table for 3 booked?".

We replied yes, then he said "did someone call you?". We said no... he said "oh well we have booked out this area for 19 people." (clearly after our booking was made) he then said "tonight you will have to be seated in the bar".

We were unimpressed but continued to the bar... when we walked in it was completely full we stood waiting for our table then he came over to us and said.. "it seems we have no tables available" (even though we booked 3 weeks ago.. WTH!).

We said we will have to go somewhere else, they didn't even seem slightly bothered by the fact we had come so far and we booked they just said "are you sure? ok bye".

I wouldn't ever come back here this is the rudest place I have ever been they don't care about you unless your booking for 19 it seems.

Dec 05, 2013

Had lunch here yesterday (1/6/13), very impressed, service was impeccable, very professional, the food fantastic, great fusions, I had the quail for entree followed by the roast lamb noisette, both extremely enjoyable, ended with a lovely cheese platter shared with my partner. Would recommend this restaurant, love the fact it's so small and cosy and in great laneway location in the Rocks.

Jun 02, 2013

Tries hard but overall unimpressed. Food bland and under-seasoned. However, well-thought compositions and interesting techniques.

Found within the Scarlett hotel - and somewhat telling as a hotel restaurant. Entree of roast quail, confit leg, kataifi nest, chorizo, brussel sprouts coleslaw cooked with care but kataifi nest dry and oily, primarily a large decoration consuming the other ingredients. Vodka cured king salmon, cucumber gel, confit fennel sounded unique but lacking seasoning and slightly puzzling.

For mains, crispy skin barramundi, scampi tail, bacon, pine mushrooms, cannellini bean ragout comfort-food good, and although juicy, crumbed scampi resembles frozen-food. Roasted lamb noisette, shank, Croustillant, pearl barley, Jerusalem artichoke a well-thought out plate but again lacking salt, a shame as the croustillant stood out, crispy, juicy and lamb cooked perfectly without any aftertaste.

Not impressive enough to try desserts, but again interesting on the menu. In fairness, perhaps breakfasts would be better. Service generally good.

May 28, 2013

Went here on Sunday for lunch using a scooopon Deal. The service was good, the quality of the food was excellent. It is a small restaurant in an obscure place but had a nice cosy atmosphere about it. The four of us all enjoyed our 2 courses and the wine and beer. In no way did we feel that because we had the scoopon we were treated any differently. I would recommend this place.

May 06, 2013

Recently I had a chance to dine in for lunch and I enjoyed it. The food was fresh and well prepared. Although the entree with scampi was tiny. The main hapuka was fresh. Staff was friendly and ambiance was good. However, I do have couple comments. Table pepper and salt, I was enjoying it before I observed that they were not changed after customers were left. It turned off my appetite straight away. Imagine, other customers using their fingers pinching the salt or pepper before I have it, that's quite disgusting. Also noted was that, when the waiter cleaned the table he wiped all the crumbs left behind simply onto the floor. No need to say further, it's unhygienic and unpleasant.

Apr 20, 2013

We dined here on a Saturday night with a booking. The reception was warm and appropriate and the service throughout the meal was very good - attentive but unobtrusive. The food was great - it's not fine dining, but it doesn't pretend to be. The dishes were very well cooked and presented. The ambience is quite nice, it's only a small place and you can have a relaxed conversation. In all, a very pleasant experience. The upstairs bar looks cozy and the hotel looks like it would be a good spot for an intimate weekend in Sydney.

Feb 23, 2013

Dined here last Saturday night, food, service and setting is just spot on if you ask me. I have struggled to find a good eating spot in the Rocks, but look no further. I will say though, however, the breakfast experience the next morning was nowhere near as pleasurable due to a shortage of staff.

Jul 24, 2012

Very good time was had here. Our mains were perfect along with the attentive service and lovely setting. The Live music and complimentary canapes were great.

Mar 28, 2011

Enjoyed a quick dinner at Lanes recently before a show at the Opera House. Fish was cooked perfectly and service was very attentive and professional. Lovely location, would not have found it except for Viva Sydney promotion, which made meal very good value. We chose to sit outdoors on a deck overlooking a laneway which was just lovely (in August). Would happily recommend Lanes.

Aug 25, 2010

Went to this restaurant last Saturday for dinner. I used the Viva Sydney's promotion and made a reservation a couple of days in advance.

First I'll start with the good, the place is tucked away in one of the back lanes in The Rocks, nice and quite, I can see how someone would want to come here for a quite Sunday lunch, especially if you are already staying at the hotel.

Service was great, the two staff members who waited on us were both attentive and courteous, the girl always filled our glasses with water and the waiter was very professional (a bit more on this later).

The bad, we ordered a caesar salad and a prawn with rice as entrees, both of which are not too bad to be fair but ordinary. I reckon I can make a better caesar at home myself with the right ingredients. Now the shocking part, my sister found a little piece of paper, it wasn't big so I thought I'd let it go, I told her to just pick it out and put it on the table.

A couple of spoonfuls later, she found another piece of paper this time the size of 10 cent coin with the word "salt" written on it. That's when I felt I had to say something, I called the waiter over and complained to him, the nice young man took it away and came back a couple of minutes later and told us they'd make us a fresh one and we wouldn't be changed for it.

Anyway, to make the whole story short we finished our meal feeling full but very unsatisfied. The mains (fish and chips and steak) were a let down, I didn't finish it but I don't like wasting food so I asked for a takeaway container. The bill came to $39 with no charge for the salad and the buy 1 main get 1 free promotion. It was pretty cheap considering the location but I would have never found out and gone there if it wasn't for the promotion. I think you can definitely have a better meal else where for a similar price. If you are to pay the full price, it's definitely not worth it.

All in all thumbs down from me, don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

Jan 13, 2010