Sambal The Malaysian Food Experience

Outdoor Dining

Add a Review for Sambal The Malaysian Food Experience

User Reviews of Sambal The Malaysian Food Experience, North Ryde

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

We are long time patrons of this hotel but were exposed to its service horrors today. We've never had to reserve before. Today we walked in and the place was busy. I asked the elderly lady if I can get a table apologising in advance for not having reserved. The lady said in an agitated tone "we're very busy and it may take up to 20 minutes" as she didn't have a reservation.

I again apologised and politely stated that we're happy to wait. I could see that the hotel had 4 empty tables inside and 3 empty ones outside probably awaiting those who had reserved. After 30 minutes I quietly walked up to her and asked her if there was any update. She said they're still busy and we'll have to wait while all tables still had not been touched in the last 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I saw a few people just walk in and sit in the tables that were empty without checking and were getting service.

50 minutes later, she still couldn't over us a table and she still had 3 tables empty. If she had allocated an empty table to us, we would have eaten and left 20 minutes ago! The other empty tables had been forcibly occupied by people who couldn't care less. We visit this place at least twice a month and our experience today made us decide that we will never visit this place on principle ever again. The owners will eventually realise that busy days are far and few in a year but it is regular patronage from customers like us that make this place what it is.

When it closes down due to their "don't care" attitude, we'll understand.

May 11, 2014

As a 40+ year old, easily the worst dining experience I have had. The beef redang was overcooked as was the curry chicken that was ordered. The servings were also small given the amount of money charged for them. The service was unprofessional. A telephone booking was made and on arrival at the restaurant half an hour later was forgotten about by the waitstaff. We were advised that we would "have to have a quick dinner". Fantastic! While I understand that restaurants in the area are few and far between, this place is a waste of time and definitely money.

Dec 01, 2013

I have been to Sambal since it opened. The food here was good and I would frequent here numerous times with friends and family. However this time I would not be going back. The recipe for the sambal prawns has changed - it does not contain any sambal or have any hint of chilli. For some reason for a Malaysian restaurant, it lacks flavour which is a disappointment.

Sep 23, 2013

A nice little "restaurant" near our office - great variety of food and at pretty good prices, with big servings. BYO wine doesn't seem to be a problem either. Nothing fancy, but seats plenty of people. Book ahead for groups larger than 4 people.

Aug 12, 2013

This place makes me feel like I am eating in a dining hall. It is loud and echoy. I was seated near the entrance to the kitchen where I could hear staff scraping clean plates. The staff also liked to stomp their feet loudly on the wooden floors when walking around, only adding to the noise.

We went there for dinner and ordered the Hainan Chicken "served with rice". When the rice comes, it becomes obvious that the senior staffs are trying to get as much money from you as possible, serving a bowl shaped mound on a small tea saucer. The rice was over cooked and had no taste of chicken. The chicken was overcooked and parts of the meat had fat and grey veins all through it. The chicken was also only served with a chilli paste, no kecap manis.

Other Malaysian restaurants have a much superior Chicken Rice, flavoursome, fluffy rice and the chicken is perfectly cooked, boneless with no ugly tendons.
    The chicken meat used for the Satay seemed to be softened (?) there was no texture. The satay also lacked spice, it was made entirely of peanut sauce.
    The Rojak was alright. Not the worst but not as good as the Rojak available at some other places in Sydney.

The Sambal Eggplant was odd. Not what I expected. I did not enjoy it. The sambal used in the dish was not very tasty, considering the name of the restaurant.

The service was hit and miss. It irritates me when waiters do not tell you what the dish is when it arrives, not because I don't know what it is, but it seems a bit weird when they simply drop the dish on the edge of the table and quickly walk away.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this place, nor would I return. I don't understand why it is so popular. Just head over to the next suburb and you can hit up somewhere else in Parramatta where the chicken rice is sublime.

Nov 03, 2012

A nice little coffee shop style restaurant. We had Sar Ho Fun, Nasi Goreng Sambal which was very spicy and Char Kway Teow. I drove for 40 minutes to try their food and I wouldn't go back again not because the food is bad but there is no Wow factor to it. There are other places closer to have the same flavour.

Jun 08, 2012

Really enjoyed our satay, char kwai teow was offered in mild, med or hot, and as first time visitors we chose mild, really tasty and spicy enough at mild.

The kapitan chicken was a bit different to other places, and could have had a bit more kick to it, but we sill found it enjoyable. Our GPS got lost finding this place as I believe it's now Macqurie Park not Nth Ryde.

Will come again to try some other tasty looking items on the menu.

May 18, 2012

Just realized how good Sambal is as I have not been there for over 3 years, so this week I went there twice! Try the chicken rice it is sublime! I'm a big eater so the only negative is its serving size.

Apr 28, 2012

We ordered Chicken Laksa, Braised Rice Noodle in egg sauce 'Wat Tan Hor' (or they called it Sar Hor Fun), Rojak and Fried Kway Teow. The stand out dish was definitely the Fried Kway Teow. Kway Teow was nicely charred by frying on 'wok' - and has the 'wok' smell which is imperative for a good fried kway teow. Fair amount of ingredients e.g. prawns and fish cake. It's lacking the other core ingredients that I'm looking for in perfect fried kway teow which are the chinese sausage (lap cheong) and the pork fat. Although lacking of those key ingredients, it was one of the best fried kway teow that I've had.

The Sar Hor Fun was lacking in rice noodles, making the dish really small. The sambal that came with it was really nice and went well with the dish. Chicken Laksa was not great! Diluted and way too much coconut milk. There isn't much taste to the soup and it didn't blown my tastebud away. They charged an additional $2 for the Laksa as we asked for mixed noodles (rice noodles and yellow thick noodle) - that's day light robbery when we saw that there were only a few strands of yellow noodles in the bowl.

Service was next to none. You can't order if you approach the counter! The guy at the counter will tell you that's table service. But you don't get serviced at the table for a long time as no waitstaff will come to take your order. I asked for some ice with jelly drink twice but it never came.

I got some takeaways desserts, tapioca kuih and seri muka (steamed glutinous rice forming the bottom half and a green custard layer made with pandan juice) and kuih talam (pandan and cococut custard layers). The desserts were good, especially the tapioca kuih! The others need more 'real pandan juice'.

Feb 10, 2012

Disappointing. Lately I have been exploring more of the Malaysian and Indonesian food outlets in Sydney (after several trips overseas to the regions). This place was recommended by a work colleague so I had high hopes for what was on offer I must admit. I even invited some friends along so we could sample more of the items on the menu.

Initial disappointment came when we ordered what appeared to be a restaurant prepared grass jelly drink, however it was just a can of sugary something imported from Taiwan, presented to the table as a can and a glass.

The Food we ordered:
    -Some pickled vegetable entree (v.forgettable)
    -Nasi Lemak (with the Beef Rendang)
    -Chicken Curry (the actual name escapes me)
    -Char Quay Teo
    We had Es Kacang for dessert.

Flavours across all the food were a bit flat, something was missing, except the Char Kway Teo which was possibly one of the yummiest I have ever had. We asked for this dish to be spicy hot and it was quite mild. But flavours wise it was the saviour.

I felt the side offerings on the Nasi Lemk were mean, but at the same time the beef rendang on this dish was very generous (although a bit flavourless). Currys were a bit cold/ slightly warm, not reassuringly hot.

Having being spoilt by the very tasty food at Mamak (Chatswood/City) we were a bit disappointed especially as we made a special journey to this place as we heard it was better. It is way out of our normal food corridor.

The ambience was ordinary as well and we had to ask to change tables when we first arrived as the toilet (which is adjacent to the restaurant area) was very smelly.

We were initally told there was two sittings and we were in the first sitting which means we needed to be finished by 7:30, there was mild pressure to clear our plates before we had finished eating (!) but eventually they gave up clearing, and then getting their attention for the bill was difficult. We overstayed our timing to 7:50 in the end without hassle, the restaurant didn't seem overly busy anyway.

We agreed we wouldn't go there again mostly because the food wasn't really tasty and I'm sure our guests would agree, so for us it is one strike and they're out. There are just too many other places that are better.

Dec 08, 2011