Quay

SMH Good Food Guide 2013 - Three Chef's Hats & Restaurant of the Year

Australian Gourmet Traveller 2013 - Restaurant of the Year

Australian Gourmet Traveller 2013 - Three Stars

2013

The Australian Hot 50 Restaurant Awards 2013 - Hottest Restaurant & Hottest Restaurant NSW

SMH Good Food Guide 2012 - Three Chef's Hats & Chef Of The Year: Peter Gilmore

The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2012 - Rank No. 29

The Australian Hot 50 Restaurant Awards 2012 - Hottest Dish

more…

Overview of Quay

Voted as one of the World's Best Restaurants, Quay offers the most amazing views stretching from the Opera House to the Harbour Bridge. The innovative food is created by Peter Gilmore, the head chef and they are designed to take you on the journey of the best dining experience. Private functions or romantic fine dining, you will find yourself in good hands at Quay.

Add a Review for Quay

User Reviews of Quay, The Rocks

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

To celebrate my partner’s birthday, we treated ourselves for dinner at the Quay Restaurant. The view from the restaurant was fantastic, as was the attentive service.

We went for the tasting menu and the night went through some highs and lows. The slow cooked pork belly in broth and the Angus beef were excellent, while the XO (sauce) sea dish was a bit too strong. The reputed snow egg dessert would have been an excellent note to finish the meal, but the jersey cream that followed was just too rich.

@bitesizereview

blogRead more on my blog

Apr 05, 2014

Fantastic experience, snow egg was worth every penny!

Mar 06, 2014

I was invited to a friend's birthday party here a few days ago; we all had the eight course degustation. I found the dishes to be of a high standard but a tad too elaborate for my taste; this is not intended to be a criticism.

The lychee dessert was thought to be the hit of the evening by all at the table. I no longer drink alcohol but I am most impressed by the wine and spirits menu. The service was faultless.

Feb 14, 2014

Outstanding ambience and service. Food was magnificent. Each dish had a unique "personality" - unlike that another popular place ppl rave about...

Our advice to people who want to leave full and pretty, uh, "happy": Have a cocktail before you eat and smash the unlimited bread.

We got the tasting menu plus wine and although it was unbelievable we would have left a bit empty and sober had we avoided the bread and a starter cocktail. Food and wine servings were small as you'd expect!

Leaves the other popular degustations in the Sydney Restaurant Guide (compared to what we've tried at the same price) for dead. A must do. We had to book six months in advance!

Mobile Review Dec 29, 2013

Impossible not to dislike this place. The food was amazing the XO being my favourite. We had the Degustation with matching premium wines. Can fully understand the hype about Quay. Beautiful view and great coffee to finish off.

Dec 05, 2013

Wow. Simply wow. Actually, not simply. Eight textured, XO'd, poached, braised, congee'd, and granita'd Wow! We went with the four course option, and started with the poached chicken and the mud crab congee. The chicken was lovely, the congee was stunning.

Following this was the duck, along with my personal favourite dish of the night, the XO Sea. A beautifully silky dish absolutely loaded with more flavour than a dish this size deserved to be. I think I fell in love just a little bit.

The next dishes designed for our degusting demolition job were the pig jowl and the murray river cod, which had replaced the whiting for the night. Both were equally scrumptious, but my heart and tastebuds kept getting drawn back to the memory of that XO Sea. Something had to happen to make me forget, even for a moment. That something was dessert.

Now, I've read reviews on here that complain about the famous snow egg dessert being "too cold", and the eight texture chocolate cake being "too chocolatey".
    I too, found the granita surrounding said snow egg quite chilly. Something that I really wasn't expecting from a crushed ice element of the dish, but I grimly fought through the cold and finished it off.

Then there was the chocolate cake. Eight textures? Only eight? I'm sure with a little application of his skills, Mr Gilmore could add a couple more textures of chocolate to offset the terrible chocolatey experience that was this dessert. In case you missed it, I'm being sarcastic. Dessert was a simply divine finish to the night.

The only thing that may have made it even better was another plate of the XO Sea.

*Sigh*

A wonderful experience, and one I would love to enjoy again.

Nov 24, 2013

As to be expected, the service was impeccable, from taking our reservation until the end of our lunch. Everyone was very polite and attentive.

The food was excellent but not quite as amazing as some other similar establishments. Standout dishes were the fragrant poached chicken, the mud crab congee, the braised wagyu and (of course!) the snow egg. My partner was not impressed with the quail with brioche porridge and the eight texture chocolate cake was too rich and chocolatey (it could have used some cream, ice cream etc to soften that much chocolate).

Everyone raves about the views. We had a table in the little round 'fishbowl' bit and, while the views are probably impressive for people who don't get those views everyday, they are pretty ordinary for someone who has a harbour view from their high rise office.

Only downside is the price.

Nov 05, 2013

Rather than the food that is obviously well reviewed in previous posts, I’d like to focus on the service and delightful service recovery of this three-hat establishment of the Sydney culinary scene.

We came here after a 3 month wait and were reserved for an 8:30pm second seating. Upon early arrival 15 minutes earlier, we were advised to come back as the table was not ready. We obliged and came back later only to be told that the table was still not ready and fist seating was still there. We waited for another half hour to 9pm on a Monday night.

Upon observing our disappointment, the charming Maitre’D, Robert, promptly apologised and offered some mocktails for both of us whilst we waited.

Upon seating, Robert gave us highly personal service and attention and made sure that we were enjoying our finely crafted food which included amongst others, Braised Quail, Poached Chicken, Squab and Abalone and Smoked and Berkshire Pig Jowl.

Our Main Course was again delayed, setting us back for another 20 minutes due to a backup in the kitchen. Robert again recovered this service failure by offering a complementary sweet pastry dish which truly delighted both of us.

All courses displayed Peter Gilmore’s meticulous attention to the most miniscule elements that made up his dishes. Merely eating these without examining the fine details would do no justice to his creations. Dessert included the obligatory Snow Egg and his 8 texture cake.

Quay’s Campos Coffee was perhaps the best coffee I have ever tasted in my life without reservation.

Our Quay experience, sans the delays, finished well after midnight.

Overall, Quay is an establishment that must be on one’s bucket list, however the star of the evening was in fact the Maitre’D Robert, who was pleasant, observant and charming, meeting and surpassing the expectations of all the clientele that dine there.

Sep 29, 2013

It was a special occasion, so money wasn't an issue. The view is spectacular, and service wonderful. As for the food, it was lovely, and very inventive, but after the meal, my partner & I both admitted that we'd rather eat elsewhere next time, as flavour wasn't paramount.

Mobile Review Aug 11, 2013

What an amazing experience. Expensive, but well worth every penny. The food is just divine and the service perfect. Its that age old saying, 'If you want good quality, you have to pay for it'. Can't wait to come back!

Jul 21, 2013

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Quay Restaurant Jackfruit snow egg Gentle braise of pearl oyster Pink turnips, breakfast radishes salad Tasting menu to bring home Braised Berkshire pig jowl with maltose crackling Quay Quay Quay Quay Quay Quay Quay Quay Amuse Bouche of Smoked Eel Jelly Cant remember what this was Sea Pearls Heirloom Carrots Bass Gropper Guava Snow Egg « 1 of 20 photos »

Related Editorial Content for Quay