Prophet Restaurant

Middle Eastern

Add a Review for Prophet Restaurant

User Reviews of Prophet Restaurant, Surry Hills

Page: 1 2 3 Next

I have been going to this restaurant for 27 years. It is great value and great food.

Sep 03, 2012

We had dinner here using a livingsocial voucher. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.

However, the portions were really small. I don't know if it is because we were using a voucher or this is their normal portions. Either way, they should've been more satisfying.

Feb 13, 2012

We shared the meat mezze plate which was quite ok. The Fatoush was nice and the dips good. Reasonable food but nothing to rave about.

Dec 04, 2010

The food is overpriced, over-salted, overcooked and basically uninteresting. About the level of a cheap, very humble takeaway Lebanese meal but at a very inflated price. Though the waiters were pleasant and polite, the service was very poor, we sat around with no menus and were not offered so much as a glass of water for the first 15 minutes, (we finally had to ask for menus) even though the place was practically empty. Yet another overpriced and disappointing Sydney restaurant.

Oct 30, 2009

Great food. The owner makes you feel like family. Love going to this place any chance I can get.

Jul 13, 2009

I was a bit non-plussed with the prophet. We visited because it's a favourite regular of a friend, and it was certainly a passable decent meal, but it didn't hit any great heights, and I didn't think it was amazing value. We had the hummous, tabouleh, bread, falafel, shish kebab, fried eggplant and lamb-stuffed zucchini.

The pita bread was very stale, which detracted from the dips. The falafel and eggplant were lovely though, the lamb was ok if presented uninspiringly by itself on a saucer-sized plate, and the zucchini was distinctly average. Hummous and tabouleh were nice. The food nearly got a 7, but not quite.

I just expect a few trimmings to come with a plate of lamb, maybe some onions, tomato, leaves, decent bread, anything, but this was pure and simple just a saucer with 8 bits of lamb on it.

It's certainly traditional, and I'm glad it's family run and the old chef out the back is keeping it real, but when compared to the amazing food for cheaper prices somewhere else (which is turkish not lebanese I know), this place fell some way short.

Mar 23, 2009

I was quite disappointed with The Prophet. Went with 5 others for a Sunday evening meal, and found that the food wasn't particularly good (there seemed to be a real lack of flavour and spice), and the serving size for the cost was despicable. I'm used to coming out of Middle Eastern restaurants stuffed to the gills from lovely plates overflowing with tasty food.

The service was also rather questionable, and I'm unclear as to why as the restaurant was pretty much empty downstairs. The reason for choosing The Prophet was location (a block away from The Belvoir for a post-theatre dinner), but I would strongly suggest taking the time to go to Almustafa in Glebe instead.

I won't be going back to The Prophet again.

Mar 21, 2009

This is a great restaurant. I go regularly. The staff are friendly and the food is great value. The Fatoush, cabbage rolls and Ladies fingers are fantastic!!

Jan 28, 2009

Best Lebanese in town, its been around for yonks and still run by the family! The hommous and lemon drink are to die for and the taboulie (spelling!).

Nov 12, 2008

I've been coming here for 5 years and have recommended this place to at least 15 friends who have all raved about it. My background is part Lebanese, Egyptian and Armenian so I know when I taste good Middle Eastern food. In my opinion this is as close as I'll ever get to my Mum's cooking. As to the comments made from "MEME" I think she must have dined in the wrong restaurant as there are several Lebanese eateries in Cleveland Street, possibly some with toilets through the kitchen. Get your facts right "MEME".

Nov 12, 2008