Pho 236

Pho 236 Contact Info

Chinese, Vietnamese

Prices $

Overview of Pho 236

Pho 236 is one of the small restaurants on bustling and populated King Street. There's nothing eye-catching about this eatery except the neon sign on its see-through glass walls cum windows and its lighted name signage of red and blue hanging outside its door. Its interiors are bare white walls and ceilings made alive by the lighted menu at the end of the dining hall. The dark brown furnishings of circular tables and matching chairs paired with the pale brown tiles for flooring are notable accents good enough as decor.

Yet, despite the lack of flair common in Asian eateries, Pho 236 is often filled with locals from early lunch to dinner time. The few options listed in their menu are repeatedly sought after by patrons from all over Newtown. They actually specialise in Vietnamese- and Chinese-style soups, which are raved for the rich stock and generous servings. Popular for either dine-in or takeaways are the spring rolls and beef pho.

Add a Review for Pho 236

User Reviews of Pho 236, Newtown

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

We go here nearly every week for dinner, and also whenever we have friends or family visiting. I highly recommend the vermicelli salads, fresh spring rolls, wonton soup, seafood laksa, and chicken chilli basil (minus the onions). The steam dim sim are the best I've had in Sydney, including at some of the top yum cha spots. We haven't found another place in Sydney where you can eat such a satisfying, fresh and healthy meal for under $20 for two people.

Apr 23, 2014

The pho at this restaurant was flavoursome. The service was fast yet unprofessional, bordering on rude. I would recommend this restaurant for value for money only. There are many other Vietnamese restaurants to choose from offering great food combined with great service, which is priceless.

May 28, 2013

I had a vegetable and tofu stir fry which was so average, plain and almost tasteless, we had to go out and eat somewhere else. Husband had seafood noodles some of which was cold and tough. He sent it back to be heated and it came back unimproved. Not going back.

Jul 28, 2012

Great serving but very average food. The portion are huge, more so quantity over quality.

Mar 13, 2012

If you're after a large bowl of tasty Pho at a reasonable price then Pho 236 delivers. Just don't go there expecting much else or you may be disappointed.

Oct 04, 2011

'Hungry!'

Living in Newtown, Pho236 is a staple. Horrendous decor, bright fluro lighting and screeching chairs are completely offset by great food, cracking prices and free BYO (and not just on wine!).

The cold spring rolls are a must, the deep fried pork chops tasty, chilli chicken is spicy and the Pho is generous and flavourful. I wouldn't make the journey Just to eat at Pho, but if you're in the area and jungry, than this place is hard to go by.

Aug 05, 2011

This pho place is considered good value for money. The decor is not to die for but a decent price and bowl of pho. The staff are friendly.

Jun 28, 2011

I don't come here for the ambience or service, just the great food at great prices. The rice paper rolls always taste so fresh and the salt and pepper squid is the best I've had in Sydney. I've tried a large range of dishes on the menu and have yet to be disappointed.

Jun 16, 2011

The food here is cheap and tastes ok. I must say though the service is quite lacking. We walked in and sat ourselves down, the place was not busy. We waited for some time to be handed menus. The room is only samll, so only a vision impaired person would not see someone entering the venue.

The staff seem to to be a little gormless, walking around erractically, but not doing anything. Eventually after having to signal to someone we wanted menus, he looked surprised and said "Did we just arrive?". To which we replied no.
    Would I go back, not sure.

Feb 07, 2011

Yes I suppose the food is cheap, but then again a bowl full of noodles, broth, with a few strips of meat in it shouldn't cost much. fresh rice paper rolls were delish, but we made the mistake of ordering two pho bowls, one seafood (tasty) and the other beef (OK but a bit bland) - would have preferred more variety. Vege/tofu hot pot I've had before and enjoyed. Service was disappointing. our waitress couldn't properly understand us and we weren't offered drinks/water at any time, we had to ask. I like that it's BYO but I think there are better cheap n cheerful Vietnamese restaurants around, I've been to one in Marrickville a few times and both the service and food are superior.

Jan 13, 2011