Ju Ju Japanese Tavern Restaurant

Parking

Parking Station
Street Parking
Parking Suggestions
Using public transport is recommended, or there are Secure Paqrking on Bayswater Rd and Wilson Parking on Ward Avenue in this Kings Cross area.

Add a Review for Ju Ju Japanese Tavern Restaurant

User Reviews of Ju Ju Japanese Tavern Restaurant, Kings Cross

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Came here on a Sunday night for a birthday dinner with a group of friends. We ate & drank none stop for 4 hours until our bellies popped out and some getting tipsy. We had a cake between about 10 of us and we were probably not charged cakeage as the bill came to only $47 pp. Not bad considering how much we over ordered and how many cocktails we ordered!

Apr 09, 2013

Went with a group of friends last night for a Birthday Party. We had an excellent night. The staff are very friendly and attentive and the food was awesome, I had one of the best karaage dons I've ever tasted, tried some of my friends dishes and they were great too. I can also recommend the cocktails and the warm sake. Pretty good value I thought. At the end of the night they locked the doors and supplied us with free wine just so that we'd keep singing karaoke for them! If you know any beautiful people who can sing this is the place to take them to! :)

Jan 27, 2013

Great food & service!

I'm not sure what happened witht the other reviewers, as I was a bit apprehensive after reading all the recent negative reviews... But we had an awesome meal in every way!

We had a Groupon voucher for 6 people: all-you-can-eat sushi & a glass of wine for $15 each. I booked a month in advance, as I'm aware that with voucher deals it's always good to book early. I also booked for an early sitting (6pm), as I'm aware that Friday nights can be busy and it's always better to get in early...

We arrived onn time and were immediately shown the table. We liked the setting, where you take your shoes off and sit at a sunken table. Very cozy! We had pre-chosen our dishes before entering (the menu is displayed outside the restaurant) so we immediately ordered 6 sushi mains and our drinks. The drinks were served quickly and the white wine was good...

Then the server came back and advised us that the sushi mains might take a bit to prepare, so she suggested to order a few rolls. We ordered a selection of rolls (6 in total, including salmon roll, spider, rainbow california, etc). The edamame came out quickly and so did the miso soup. then the rools, which were large and fresh. Everything was perfect. The server came by to make sure all was ok and brought us more water and soy sauce.

Our dishes were cleared promptly. Then the sushi mains came and they were large. Loved everything (except the squid but that's because I'm not a big fan of raw squid personally, but everyone was very happy with the food). We ordered another couple of dishes and then the server came to advise us that our 90-minute sitting was about to end so it was time for last orders. Very nice of her! We were stuffed by then, having eaten our fill.

So we left very happy and we had a great time, with great service and yummy sushi. I definitely recommend this restaurant, and with the coupon it was a steal.

Nov 11, 2012

'foodie :-)'

Wow, what a Fail of an experience. My friend and I went on a Friday night using the all-you-can-eat Groupon voucher. To book a table for 2 on a Friday night we were forced to book 8 weeks in advance as every Friday night had apparently been booked out, they tried to make us take a 6pm seating but I insisted on a more convenient 7:30pm seating which they begrudginly granted us. 8 weeks in advance was ridiculous and when we got there the restaurant was over 50% empty.

The service from the waitress was fine, the attitude of the senior staff, however, horrendous. We brought in the email which clearly states "no PDF, no problem, just bring in the email to redeem" which we did and were told that we had to go and print the attachment. When we said we would be happy to bring up the voucher on our phones we were told no, "must see printout".

After some heated words the senior staff finally reluctantly allowed us to bring up the info on our phones. We had to ask (twice) for Wasabi and ginger to be brought out and we had to ask for our second rolls to be brought out, I don't know why there was such a delay (15-20 minutes) between the rolls being brought out. The nigiri sushi was food-court quality, when we asked 2 waitresses what type of white fish was on top the response we got was *shoulder shrug*, "maybe squid, maybe kingfish".

The salmon roll tasted nice, the soft shell crab roll did not taste fresh. The crab was cold and soggy and obviously pre-prepared. So disappointed with this experience, I'd been to Juju before about a year ago and the ambience, food and service used to be so great which was we purchased the Groupon voucher in the first place.

Never, ever again will we return to this restaurant especially not with so many other fantastic Japanese eateries nearby. Never.

Aug 28, 2012

Used a Groupon voucher last night, all you can eat sushi. Amazing! Service was friendly, I commented on how good the Salmon roll was and he encouraged us to get more. Not stingey at all. Thank you for an awesome night! We had a maximum of 90 minutes, as one of the rules, but we were stuffed after an hour (ate over $100 worth!). I recommend the salmon roll and sushi main.

Aug 13, 2012

We went there with the $65 for 4 all-you-can-eat sushi through Groupon also. As noted by other diners, the service was extremely slow even when they weren't that busy. 1 plate of sushi for 5 people in 45 minutes was torture and they expected us to leave after 90 minutes. I said to them we haven't even gotten the rest of our food, you can't expect us to leave.

The wait staff shrugged to that and I had to keep asking them before they said not to worry. The sushi cooks, they aren't even chefs, calling them cooks is being polite, were constantly talking and took 15 minutes to make one order. We got there before some other group who arrived an hour after us but they got two of our dishes before we did (at this point we were served only 1 dish).

Also the food size and toppings were inconsistent. One soft-shell crab will come with mayo and another didn't. Won't be going back!

Jul 27, 2012

We went there on a Tuesday six people for a family dinner. The place was not busy and have a nice "relaxing" atmosphere.

Very disappointed with food. I never had Takoyaki (Fried octopus balls) that feels like noodle dumplings in my life. They only cooked the top half of the balls, but the bottom half are wet dumplings like and is still white. Very disgusting.

Ordered a fish head, only half head arrived and well over burnt. Black as rock and not much meat at all. Ordered a beer, arrived bottle of beer, no icy glass or glass of ice provided. I had to ask for it.

Large Sashimi (raw fishes) deluxe, its size is so small. Try compare it to other Japanese restaurant in the city and you know what I mean. No ice and decoration on the side of the dishes, plain sashimi on a square plate. Food court standard.

Large sushi deluxe, same as above. But this time they provided one piece less than shown on the menu. I'm not a fussy person, but with all the previous dishes plus missing my favourite eel, its too much for me. I asked for the missing piece, and yes, I got one piece back.

Services are slow, way too slow. We waved our hands for few occasions but still got no attention. Its not French dining.

I used to be a monthly customer of Juju's few years ago, but this place is now my worst Japanese restaurant dining experience that costed well over $250 for six people. Not sure if they have new boss and no management. I believe they just don't care about the business anymore. Being a regular diner in Sydney's Japanese restaurants, my advise is: Spend your money more wisely elsewhere!

Jul 07, 2012

We used to go there but as mentioned by other reviewers also, everything have gone downhill. The last time we went was on a Wednesday night where there were only a few tables of diners serviced by two waitresses who weren't very attentive.

Even it's quiet we still waited a long time for our meals including the shabu shabu, the whole dinner took us 3 hours and by the end of it, it became very uncomfortable sitting on the timber seats and we left as soon as we finished the last dish.

Food is very average and hugely overpriced for its quantity and quality. The beef and pork for the shabu shabu is chewy and tough, and the sauce tastes strange. It's sad that this used to be one of our favorite dining places but we will not be going back again.

Jul 04, 2012

An unenjoyable experience. We paid for $65 for 4 all-you-can-eat sushi through Groupon. The service was bad and we waited for at least 30 minutes for the first dish to come. The quality of food was inconsistent. The same sushi roll we ordered towards the end of the dinner was at least twice as big as the one we ordered at the beginning, the amount of rice was at least triple. It was awful and we felt like being insulted for ordering more dishes. The sashimi sushi plate never came. Will never go back again.

Jul 03, 2012

I am sad I missed out on the glory days of this restaurant. Meal consisted if a wide selection of sashimi, sushi rolls, edamame and miso soup. There is absolutely nothing special about the sushi: the rice is poorly prepared and it falls apart. It is neither particularly fresh or flavoursome. It is the sort of sushi you would expect from a shopping centre food court which occasionally sells yesterdays stock, just triple the price.

The service was mixed, some dishes came nearly immediately, while we were waiting on the salmon roll for 40 minutes on an empty Wednesday night. The positive is that the venue is a change from your regular restaurant. The location is convenient if you have something planned in the area and it's only a stone's throw from Kings Cross station.

Jun 16, 2012