Java

Bookings recommended; No cards

Add a Review for Java

User Reviews of Java, Randwick

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

We visited this great eatery after reviewing the comments by people online. We tried the Soto Ayam, Pecek and Nasi Udok complete. They were delicious and the service was warm, attentive, prompt and friendly. We'd visit again!

Jun 22, 2013

Very nice Indonesian.

Small cramped venue with friendly service.

Been a few times and never disappointing.

Average approx $25.00 per head.

Would recommend, booking essential Fri and Sat.

Jan 17, 2013

Booked a table on a Saturday night at 7:30pm. The restaurant was smallish but almost full. We noticed soon after sitting down that about half the tables were still waiting for their food. It was an accurate indicator as it took half an hour for our entree to arrive and another 15 minutes for our mains to come.

The food was decent but definitely nothing special. The room was stuffy and extremely hot but when I asked for the a/c to be turned on, I was told that it was broken. Fix it if it's broken! We ended up surviving by leaving the sliding door open half a metre which allowed everyone some fresh air.

Prices were affordable but the beef rendang, and the peanut potato, beansprout fried tofu dishes would not be enough for us to go there again.

Nov 28, 2012

Very friendly staff and yummy food.

Oct 06, 2012

As the advertising on the front door says, Java makes excellent Indonesian food. Nothing to fault with any of the dishes. Very nice fried tempeh for entree and several well made dishes for the mains.

But it is let down by poor service during our last meal there. It should not take 45 minutes to get all four main dishes particularly with the last one being the Kangkung (which is very easy to cook). Please consider bringing all the food out in one go or let us know if things will be a little slow or you are very busy. Serving staff were helpful though.

Jul 10, 2012

I absolutely love the food at the Java. I have never had better Indonesian food in Sydney - including in Kingsford. I have been to Indonesia many times and and can vouch for the fact that the food is very authentic (just like excellent home cooking.
    If you don't like spicy food, the menu is very clear and the staff will advise if a dish is hot in case you can't take it.

It is a small, family run place and the staff are lovely, remembering me and my favourite dishes even when I haven't been in a while. When I take Indonesian natives they always love the food. It is extremely reasonably priced. If something is expensive and listed as "market price" it is very likely because it is out of season.
    I only wish the Kang Kung was a little cheaper. It seems strange to pay the same for a green vegetable dish as for chicken satay etc. It is usually very fast but I do believe the staff deserve a bit of patience from people when they are run off their feet and doing their best to please everyone. They always please me :) lol

Jan 06, 2012

This restaurant is family run, and it is one of the best Indonesian places in Sydney. The food is just amazing, I have been going there for over 10 yrs and I have seen it get busier and busier over the years as Sydney siders discover their best Javanese restaurant by word of mouth. Yes it is always busy at night so the service suffers, but it's the restaurant's fault because the food it so good too many people want to squeeze in!

Oct 17, 2011

We love Java! The food is delicious. It is authentic home cooking, a rare thing these days. The satay is the best we've ever tasted and we would definitely recommend the chicken with sweet spices. The martabak is amazing! The waiters always remember both us and our order even though we don't go as often as we would like to.

Sep 16, 2011

Terrible experience from beginning to end! We were ignored for the first 15 minutes, had to show ourselves to a table, and then were unable to rouse the waiter's attention. Tried to make eye contact with them as they walked past but we were completely ignored! Couldn't even get a wine glass despite sitting there with a bottle of wine on our table staring at the passing waiter.

Food was ordinary. Some overly spicy, most with the same predicable gluggy sauce. The dessert, I may as well scraped some ice out of my freezer wall. Bad!

Aug 13, 2011

The 'Ikan Bakar Bumbu Bali' was a total rip-off costing $55 for 'market price'. The skin of the fish was entirely burnt to the extent that the flesh tasted like ash, nothing but bitter. Never had such expensive 'market price' fish not forgetting the disappointing taste. The vege stir-fry was tasteless, most suitable for hospitalised patients. Our clothes stink from the badly smelled restaurant.

It's definitely not a value-for-money place as compared to other Indo restaurants in Kingsford. Dishes cost slightly higher than moderate and anything 'market price' in the menu might turn out to be a rip-off.

Feb 22, 2011