Holy Basil

Prices $$

Available

Has Bar

Overview of Holy Basil

Holy Basil is a posh restaurant on Canley Valley Road that specializes in Thai and Laos cuisine. The restaurant's interiors is a breathtaking creativity that captures modern touches in inculcating traditional Asian accents and designs to walls and furnishings.

Bronze buddha statuettes and marble mortar and pester sets decorate divider-cabinets and large two-dimensional buddha portraits mounted on the walls are catchy décor lighted by chandeleirs and red orange lamps on the ceiling. While the large dining hall is divided into areas for intimate and for communal dining by red curtains.

Holy Basil is therefore one dining venue to keep in mind for special occasions for lunch and dinner. Their lavish furnishings are very cosy for group dining or for romantic moments. On top of that, of course, is the delish food awarded for being one of the best Asian offerings not only in Canley Heights but in Sydney as well.

Add a Review for Holy Basil

User Reviews of Holy Basil, Canley Heights

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

In Sydney, authentic Lao food is hard to come by, so when I discovered Holy Basil two years ago I was pretty sure I'd be hooked to it and since then it has been my family's favourite restaurant in South West of Sydney. It's always a pleasure to dine here and no matter what you order is exceptional, everything just looked so delicious and mouthwatering. I found the food and ambience above many other restaurants around the area. It is also perhaps the most popular of all restaurants in Canley Heights so I suggest to get in early or prepare to wait for a table and stand in long queue but that's what you should expect when the food is so delicious! The food is fantastic, authentic and reasonably priced. I've already lost count of the number of times I've been here.

Red Duck Curry

blogRead more on my blog

Feb 28, 2014

My wife, son and I watched Food Lovers Guide and became very interested in trying Lao Food. We travelled to Canley Heights, from Drummoyne and certainly do not regret it. Although a walk in service, we did not need to wait long before one of many warm and friendly staff sat us down.

The owner mixed with customers and made sure everyone in the busy restaurant was comfortable taking the time to speak and make recommendations, in between jumping into the kitchen to help move dishes out in a timely fashion. We sat on wooden benches, snuggly in amongst people from all nationalities, including Lao, admiring the traditional works of art, which included a gold statue of Budda, relaxing in the soft lighting, admiring the hard working staff working in the open bustling kitchen, and took in the sounds, sights and smells of the bustling restaurant while we waited for our order of four Lao dishes which we had seen on TV, including OX tongue, which our 7 and a half year old son, ate three quarters of without one word of complaint, knowing full well what it was. It was sublime.

The paw paw salad was a fresh, vibrant tasting, perfectly balanced healthy salad, which is addictive, as described by one of our waitresses. She also told us of a Lao saying, the hotter the better! We had to agree. Balanced by a lovely lighter beef rice salad, the best pork sausage I've ever tasted, and some refreshing crushed ice fresh fruit drinks, we sat and moaned and groaned with delight all the way through the meal. Once we had recovered, we just had to try the deep fried ice cream, which kept coming out to almost every table around us, and all I can say is, thank goodness it wasn't twice as big, or I would have exploded trying to eat it.

Whilst this restaurant is unashamedly not fine dining, thank goodness, the food is five star, as is the service, lighting and ambiance. With a wonderful choice of wines and beers, you could enjoy the best of all worlds. Combing with an energetic family friendly atmosphere, warm and attentive staff, and owner, this is by fare the best value and enjoyable new dining experience these keen foodies have had in a long, long time. We look forward to going back again and again to try everything this wonderful restaurant has to offer...

Nov 10, 2013

Food was tasty. Service was attentive. I went to the one in the city but still recommend it!

Sep 01, 2013

Love this place! Food is fantastic and well priced. Don't visit without having the deep fried ice cream!

Mobile Review May 25, 2013

Wow! What a treat this place is...

A group of mates and I made a booking on a Monday during a public holiday/long weekend.

We turned up in the evening and the place was packed full with people including a cluster of 10+ people hanging around outside on a waiting list for a table. Even though we were told our booking couldn't be found when we arrived, it didn't them very long to have a table ready for us.

We ordered close to 10 different dishes between the 6 of us and it was difficult to even manage to make room for all of them when they arrived.

Some of the dishes we ordered included grilled quails, salt & pepper squid, raw beef larb salad, battered soft shell crab, green thai curry, seafood rolls etc.

The food was very well made and authentic. Fresh, perfectly spiced, not too greasy and generous portions.

Despite our food belly bulges, we still went ahead and ordered some desert. Deep fried ice cream... Wow. I've had deep fried ice cream in the past and neither loved it or hated it. In fact I'd chose regular ice cream over deep fried variety... But the kind at Holy Basil was truly something different! Light batter coating that just melted in your mouth...

As for the service,it was average. The place was at full capacity and busy and the waiters managed to do their job and were polite. No complaints...

This place is highly recommended. I have tried many thai restaurants (mostly in/near CBD) however this place beats them all; city and outer suburbs.

Apr 28, 2013

'I'm a serial opinionist'

Really disappointed. Had some good recommendations about this restaurant. Ordered the whole deep fried fish but when arrived at the table the 'whole' fish I thought I was getting had been filletted and the fish was served battered and deep fried - essentially I got fish cocktails with sweet and sour sauce! And at market price - was very expensive! Not to mention I am gluten intolerant so had to pick the fish out of the batter. The smokers next to us didn't help either.

Feb 06, 2013

It's a nice place. However, parking is a pain most of the time, you have to wait to e seated most times and food isn't always bought out at the same time. Good menu, lots to choose from. Overall, good place to go when your not In a hurry and starving.

Jan 29, 2013

Have been to Holy Basil before at Shark hotel for their infamous fried ice cream and cannot fault it. Decided to try their dinner menu this week at Canley Heights with hubby and was disappointed overall.

First of all I'm not really a fan of "communal dining". The only way you will have your own table is if you arrive in a group of four or more. Because we were only two we were seated with another couple which makes private conversation slightly awkward.

Secondly, hubby got his mains fifteen minutes before mine and we later found out that they had forgotten about my order. The food was tasty though. Highly recommend the soft shell crab.

Thirdly, we had a fried ice cream each and towards the end we discovered a hair in mine which my husband actually put in his mouth before he realised what it was. We pointed it out to the waiter and we all had a bit of a laugh, with the waiter saying that we would probably have one dessert taken off our bill. But when we went to pay we were told by the manager that because it was discovered towards the end of dessert, we had to pay the whole bill, which hubby wasn't happy about to say the least.

However, we will be back given the quality of the food and the icecream. Let's hope that we were just unlucky that day.

Jan 04, 2013

Thankyou Holy Basil for another fantastic dining experience. We love all your food especially the soft shell crab, Laos green papaya salad, crispy fish with beautiful mango salad, crab meat fried rice and all the fruit shakes. Excellent service and beautiful decor.

Oct 17, 2012

This was the talk of the town, well I saw it mentioned on social networks for a while. I thought why not try it out. Went there and fell in love with their fruit shakes! love the pineapple drink! The food was average and not what I expected especially after all the social hype around it.

Crab fried rice didn't have much crab meat at all. The salt and pepper squid had a nice texture and flavour even without the sweet chilli sauce. My partner enjoyed the padsew.

Bad.. Very pricey for just another Thai place. Not enough room for people. They leave the window open right next to the smoking seats outside.

Good.. Good shakes! Service.. Friendly staff and at times food can take long.

Oct 15, 2012