Golden Coronet Chinese Restaurant

Chinese, Seafood

Add a Review for Golden Coronet Chinese Restaurant

User Reviews of Golden Coronet Chinese Restaurant, Strathfield

Page: 1 2 3 Next

This place reminds me of several episodes of Seinfeld, in that I want their food, however, dealing with the people behind the food is almost always a labourious, head-thumping, irritating experience. Plenty of face-palms here. They need to improve their English-speaking capability, as well.

1. I have only dined in the restaurant once (with my young-son), and I detested the experience. Sticky tables, sticky menus, 1970s-style cheap-seating.

2. The small bar-area which abuts the main entrance looks quite nice, this is where you collect your take-away food.

3. Why do I collect my own food, rather than avail myself of their shockingly inadequate home-delivery service? Yep, you guessed it, because they have a shockingly inadequate home-delivery service.

Regarding their home-delivery service:

4. I've been ordering home-delivery from Golden Coronet for many years. But I have now stopped ordering home-delivery from this restaurant. Seriously, they need to employ delivery personnel who speak at least a few words of English. They communicate with grunts, not words. Also, on several occasions they failed to deliver my complete order, leaving out an entree of spring-rolls, or soup, for example.

5. Furthermore, whenever they left out an item which I ordered, I telephoned them to notify them of their error. Their response? They offer you a "rain-check" for the next-time you order with them. Not even an apology, let alone a freebie of any sort. Seriously, you are basically dealing with robots here. So if you expected to enjoy spring-rolls or a soup with your meal, you must wait until the next-time you order. This is totally unsatisfactory. In America, if a restaurant forgot to deliver you a can-of-soft-drink, they would apologise immediately and probably deliver you several cans, as compensation. At Golden Coronet? No, you must wait until next-time, what a total joke! I get the impression that they don't really care about you.

6. Their delivery-drivers are also hopeless at finding our premises, which is located at the rear of a larger property, but we have our own clear access to a major road. On numerous occasions, their driver has taken my order to the other residents, in spite of my clear, vehement, strenuous instructions that those other people were not the people who ordered the food. They seem to like taking our food to these other residents. Learn English! This is very embarrassing. *face-palm*

7. I don't like their telephone-manner either. Invariably, a female speaking broken-English takes your order in a very rushed, disrespectful fashion. They don't even repeat your order, unless you ask them to, to ensure you get what you ordered. The way she rushes through the order is very annoying. Relax! Calm down! Please confirm my order! She also doesn't actually listen to special requests, for extra-chilli, etc... see below.

8. My "go to" dish here is the King-Prawn Laksa ($16.80). This is by no means the best laksa in Sydney, but the closest decent laksa for me. The problem? They are extremely stingy with the chopped-chilli. Every time I order King-Prawn Laksa, I stress that I am a lover of chilli and I want extra-extra-extra chilli on my laksa. Their response is normally - "We don't put much chilli on the laksa because most people don't like too much chilli" *face-palm* Excuse me, I hereby give you permission and express instuctions to blow my brains out with chilli, so please stack my laksa with chilli. Do you think they would understand those instuctions, after my many attempts to convey them? No, they don't *face-palm*

9. Thankfully, after speaking to the robot in-charge (manager/owner), we came to a resolution whereby I purchase a separate small container of chopped red-chillis ($1.00), which I would have been more than happy to do from the outset, if only they could have told me why they are so stingy with the chilli. Seriously, you would think that they were giving away the last few shreds of chilli on Planet Earth, that's how stingy and frugal they are.

10. Their Sweet and Sour Pork ($13.80) is quite good, I often order that. Unfortunately, on several occasions my Honey Chicken ($13.80) has been over-cooked. I also avoid their scallop dishes these days, as they appear to now purchase their scallops from a new, cheaper supplier. I have discussed this with them, and they dispute that the new scallops are inferior, but both my wife and I don't like their scallop dishes of late. Recently, I was also very disappointed with their Salt and Pepper Squid ($15.80), which consisted of very large, very chewy, tasteless pieces of something which I assume to be squid.

I'm on the lookout for a better Asian experience. This place really reminds me of those Seinfeld episodes.

Dec 13, 2013

I have only ever had take away from this restaurant so cannot attest to the dining in experience.

The take away service is fast and efficient, always quicker than the estimate of 45 minutes. Payment by credit card over the phone is accepted, which is convenient. My house is difficult to find but, unusually, the delivery drivers are experienced and have always found it with ease.

The quality of the food might not be on par with that to be found in Haymarket, but if you stick to the old favourites like Mongolian Lamb, I doubt you will be disappointed. It is certainly not the worst Chinese food I have sampled in the Strathfield/Homebush area.

Aug 17, 2013

Yuk! Bean Curd and mixed Veges... Yuk! Old-style 1990's Chinese (westernised) rubbish food. It looks 'half' decent for the strathfield south area... somehow built a 'reputation' in this nook. OMG... get with it. No wonder word has spread to the Bankstown area, and all the Lebanese hover over there... and no one from this area dares go near your food any more.

Jun 08, 2013

Really like this place. Reminds me of the club-type chinese restaurants I used to do to as a kid and those more westernized chinese restaurants my grandma used to take me to. Not authentic chinese, but a cute little place where you can get a good couple of meals. the price is higher than your average chinese place in the area but I find most other chinese places are really dinky or the waitresses are rude. Overall good experience. not authentic but if you can deal with that give it a whirl.

Apr 06, 2013

Tried this place for lunch one Friday and were pleasantly surprised. Particularly impressed by the updated decor (obviously done since the 2009 reviews I've just read about), attentive and friendly service and the veges were fresh, the meat tender and evrything was tasty. Enjoyed it so much that we went for dinner the next night (Sat) with a group of 7 and we're going again next week with another couple to celebrate our birthdays.

Jan 08, 2012

Quick takeaway Chinese and Malaysian meals. Just the right amount of spice in the Singapore noodles.

Dec 31, 2011

Food is always fresh, well seasoned and tasty. Service has always been fast and efficient. The décor is a little dated but who notices that with take-away?

Oct 21, 2009

If you like 80’s RSL type Chinese food this is the place for you. We were in a group of 12 and ordered many dishes they all tasted the same, bland and tasteless. Prices were above average for a suburban Chinese restaurant.

Jun 08, 2009

Well after dining here on sat night, I now know why I don't go there anymore. The food was tastless, and out of the 4 mains we ordered only the Pork w/ black pepper and honey was decent. The special fried rice had minimal ingredients and just so bland that I had to add soy sauce to it.

Dec 10, 2008

Just ordered some take aways and we were totally disappointed with the food. Only the Chilli Chicken was up to scratch with the rest either too oily or pretty bland and everything looked as just been reheated. Wouldn't recommend and would never re-order again as there are better places in this area.

May 30, 2008