German Club Concordia

German

Has Bar

Add a Review for German Club Concordia

User Reviews of German Club Concordia, Tempe

I attended a function booked at the Concordia Club in Sept 2013.

From the first second of interaction with the staff I felt alienated, as if they were "putting up" with us just for the money. The staff treated all the guests as if they were interlopers to their domain. They were surly, unfriendly and demanding. I thought the client was supposed to be demanding... not at the Concordia Club... the staff act as if you are intruding into their personal space when you ask them a question, or order a drink, or a meal.

A fellow guest summed it up when she said "if my mum and dad opened a club they would treat everybody as if they are dam lucky to be there... that is the Concordia.

I am at a loss to understand why these unhospitable and openly passive agressive people accept bookings from groups that are not "Germanic" given they treat them like something you scrape of the bottom of your shoe. I might add I am from a Deutsch heritage.The food is ok, but so is the local McDonalds.

This diatribe sounds fierce, but I have never felt as unwelcomed in a venue that I was paid to attend in my life... and I have been around.

Sep 08, 2013

Very friendly, very enjoyable place to spend a sunday afternoon. Four servings are generous with plenty of variety for a theme. Beer and setting are superb, I will be back for sure!

Jul 21, 2013

This place is open for dinner from Fridays to Sundays only. It is located opposite Tempe station, hidden behind the fence and shrubs. It is very quaint and yes, you sit on white plastic chairs. Not glamorous but you come here for food. Don't bother calling unless you have a party of 10. We ordered the jaeger schnitzel and pork hock. The schnitzel is ok though the Japanese crumbs make it different. The gravy for the schnitzel was bland... I think I will come back with a bottle of chilli sauce next time.

I would certainly come back for the pork hock. I am not an afficianado but this is the best pork hock I have ever had braised and then deep fried. Belly full of pork fa, we made a move towards the desserts which is $7 for cake and coffee. The black forest cake was dry and the strudel was soggy. I asked madame to put whipped cream in the coffee and I went to bar, and got them to add schnapps on it. That was the best. Definitely coming back.

Apr 13, 2013

I'm not a lover of pork so I was a bit hesitant at eating there but they have a new chef and the veal schnitzel and salt and pepper calamari were finger licking. I was there for my sons 20th birthday celebration where he had reserved the outside area for the evening. What a great night I wish we could do it again. I'll be there for my birthday. Can't wait.

Dec 22, 2012

The food is good enough and though on the expensive side (especially as you are not paying for table service or ambience), the food isn't always all that authentic, but I always enjoy it.

They serve pork knuckle, red cabbage, sauerkraut, Spaetzle, Schnitzel, Kassler and more. It may have Lowenbrau-esque prices, and portions, but somehow it still leaves a little to be desired. It's just that anyone who has been to Germany will have sampled better versions of the food on offer, but, again, halfway across the world, I can't really complain. The beer is great, though.

It can also be hard to find seating on a weekend and sometimes there is no way around sharing a table, but I will keep going back on a monthly basis, if for no other reason than to be vaguely reminded of the home cooking I grew up with.

Nov 08, 2011

We come to the Concordia Club for one reason only - the pork knuckle. No word of a lie, it is huge! Guaranteed to give you a meat coma afterwards. The pork meat is tender, juicy and comes off the bone easily. It is served with an accompaniment of red cabbage, mash potato and a touch of gravy.

I haven't tried any of the other menu items because they are mostly rather dull in comparison. Standard snitzels, sausages, and some surprisingly non- authentic items such as spring rolls. The menu lacks many German favourites. There are no crumbed mushrooms or wheels of cheese for entree, and hot chips served with snitzel is a pub meal, not German fare. The Hot Love dessert is worth trying (if you still have room after that pork knuckle!) Service can be a bit on the grumpy side, however meals come out quickly.

Apr 30, 2011

Came here for a function but felt like a huge inconvenience to the incredibly rude staff who acted like their stuff ups were our fault. Schnitzel was bland, thankfully they have some masterfood mustard to liven it up. Would it kill them to have some wholegrain German mustard? Average pub style food. Spring rolls? Ice-cream and cherries from a tin? Wow, totally authentic German food.

Feb 01, 2011

I've been to this place once, and we're waiting for a nice day to go back. Its so hard to find a good place to take a kid for dinner and drinks. No matter what they always seem to get board or tick someone off. Staff was nice, not exceptional, sorta short but nice enough. We came here on a sunday late avo and had dinner, theres a sandbox for the kids and we brought a ball and bubble,. he played in the grass/sandbox with like 7 other kids for maybe 2-3 hours.

We had to make him sit down and eat. I just love going and drinking good heavy beers from time to time with food to match. Its not a place I would go on a diet, we took a vegetarian and there is 1 maybe to veg opts. but they didn't mind as we were there for the atmosphere and beer really. A place to unwind without the little one sending you home after a meal thats been scarfed down in 20 minutes.
    One thing I noticed was the menu was much smaller there then the one we checked out online. Oh well, we'd go again and again.

Nov 10, 2010

My partner loves this place because of the authentic food and great beer. I love this place because it's a little bit kitsch, is full of an interesting mix of locals and young and old people of german heritage, and has a great outdoor area. Every time I have been the staff have always been friendly.

Jan 31, 2010

This place is a time warp and I so hope they don't decide to renovate. It is 70's Bavarian hits inner west Sydney. We love it here, we bring our young kids. They can run around and have fun or play in the sand pit. Food and beer is great. The decor is definitely worth the visit if you are into retro restauranting.

Jan 30, 2010