Fook Yuen Seafood

No weekends booking for Yum Cha; $2pp surcharge on public holidays

Add a Review for Fook Yuen Seafood

User Reviews of Fook Yuen Seafood, Chatswood

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Dinner has gone downhill over the years and we stopped having dinner there after being overcharged a couple of times in 2010 (e.g. charging us the price of 7 oysters when we only ordered half a dozen- did not realize this until we got home and read the tax invoice. Another time they overcharged us on my Peking duck).

However we have gone back to have their yum cha which, despite being limited in choices, offers better value for $ than Kam Fook and other Chinese restaurants around the area. Their steamed dumplings are quite good.

On a few occasions though, the rice dumplings wrapped in lotus leaves were not freshly made. You could tell that they have not been re-heated properly because the rice in the centre of the dumpling is still cold and dry. Very hit and miss. At other times they are delicious when freshly cooked.

Having said that, their teas are much better than what you'd get at other yum cha restaurants (eg Kam Fook) and their service is good. Overall, we would still support Fook Yuen for yum cha over the other more popular yum cha restaurants, but probably won't ever go back for their dinners.

Decor and Ambience:

I know they have replaced the curtains and carpet a few years back, but they have not bothered to replace the crockery and seats which are more important.

The cups, plates and chopsticks sometimes have not been washed properly and you can still find old scraps of food stuck onto them, but the waiters are more than happy to change them when you request so.

The chairs have been around for the last 20 years and they really should get new chairs or at least replace the red fabric which is all stained. Some of them have black smudges on them just like the ones you see on pavements, probably from little kids stepping over them.

Nov 27, 2014

This restaurant used to be our favourite restaurant. However in recent years, the quality of yum cha food seem to have gone down. Quality of dinner dishes are still great and I would recommend going there as this restaurant does serve one of the nicest chinese food at Chatswood. Unfortunately, after the birth of my first child, I have been avoiding this place as the waiters and waitresses seem to have a huge fascination with babies and toddlers to the point that I feel that my whole meal is disturbed. I appreciate that the staff welcome children, however it gets annoying when free soft drink is put in front of my 2 years old without the parents permission when she isn't allowed to drink anything beside milk and water. Then one time the waitress attempted to take my toddler away from me without asking for my permission, when I questioned her she told me she wanted to give her biscuits, luckily I asked as my child has egg allergy and cannot eat any baked good with eggs. After I told the waitress not to take her away, she decided to dump 3-4 cookies in front of my child while she was still having her dinner. At that point I was furious, as my child decided to throw a tantrum. Taking out a toddler out to eat is stressful already, I don't need the added stress of keeping an eye out on the staff.

Mobile Review Nov 05, 2014

An old family favourite, have been ther for yum cha at least 100 times past 20 years, not much has changed, same level and it will probably stay the same
    Its a very typical Chinese restaurant and very popular for yum cha.

Jul 25, 2014

Not as good as they use to be back in those glorious days, but nonetheless better than Kam Fook for both yum cha and dinner. Dim sims are ok. It's their BBQ pork that stands out the most, otherwise quite average. Dinner is unextroardinary, lack quality and quantity. For that price tag, don't think I'll be revisiting, definitely not for dinner anyway.

Aug 16, 2013

The sad thing about Fook Yuen is that, you can see traces of its former glory. It wasn’t always this way: that’s why reviews peg it close to Kam Fook (because they were written eons ago)...

blogRead more on my blog

Aug 14, 2013

'pigging out'

Very disappointed! The restaurant use to be very good but now it's pretty crap! The service was poor, waited 45 mins before the food arrived and the restaurant was not even busy. The crab was on special, but it was the worst crab I've ever had. The price was ridiculous, charged $12.50 for tea and another $10 for the peanuts! Will never return!

Feb 06, 2013

Excellent food and service although it is like most Chinese restaurant it was a bit too noisy!

Jan 21, 2013

Terrible... 45 minutes and got 3 dishes only for yum cha... we requested prawn dumplings 7 times... turned up as we aid $34.10 for our 3 dishes... if that's good value... shoot me. Never again - and did not even try and compensate us. Fook Yuen, Fook me...

Aug 04, 2012

Good place for yum cha. Love the atmosphere, the choices of yum cha dim sums. Parking can be a tad difficult in that part of Chatswood. Dinner is average but you can park at the restaurant car park if you're early. Parking for dinner fills up very quickly. All in all, a pretty good restaurant for both yum cha and dinner.

Jul 06, 2012

My husband I enjoyed yum cha here last Friday. Food was delicious and fresh although there were a lack of trolleys to be seen at times. The calamari was the best I've had in a long time and the dumplings were piping hot and delicious. We'll be back!

Jul 02, 2012