Fix St James

SMH Good Food Guide 2012 - Sommelier Of The Year: Stuart Knox

Add a Review for Fix St James

User Reviews of Fix St James, Sydney CBD

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

I have been a regular for 7 years- great service, awesome variety of wines, regularly changing menu of well chosen dishes. Get the staff to pick a matching wine - and you will experience some amazing taste sensations.

Last week I booked the whole restaurant for a function for my father's 80th. I have had letters, emails and phone calls from all of the guests raving about the night. Guests had come from Africa, Victoria, QLD etc and they all had a great night.

The service was seamless, friendly and incredibly efficient, wines perfect and menu sublime. Thanks Stu and Brooke for making it such a special evening. Highly recommended.

Mar 05, 2014

I remember eating here a few years ago, perfectly nice, but not amazing like last night. A quick pre-show meal, but the school prawns were perfect, the cheese soufflé is awesome, and the whole trout was pretty much perfection. I liked the duck fat potatoes, but my better half thought they were too salty. Match this with some great rieslings (including a rather nice orange wine) and being taking care of my Tristan, and this is a high recommendation. We'll be back.

Jan 15, 2014

Fix St James for lunch in the city was a good convenient location for myself and friend. I think the atmosphere would be better at night, but a seat in the front window watching the passing parade is good for lunch. The service was very good, without being intrusive. The specialty is their wines and the glass of French champagne we each had was excellent - Thienot (I think). I had the tagliatelli with pork and fennel ragout and it was excellent. Beautiful flavours, not too heavy for lunch, just yummy. My friend had the mussel and saffron risotto and said it was delicious. I would definitely go back.

Aug 09, 2013

We were well looked after on our recent visit. We always go for the 'Fix Me Up' and 'Vinous Journey' wine match. Sit back and let them do the driving!!! Very reasonable for the high standard of food and service in the city.

Feb 24, 2013

A very extensive wine selection available at this charming restaurant just next to David Jones on Elizabeth Street. Their Pork Belly dish is to die for even though it doesn't have any crunchy crackling. Their Sausage and Mushroom Ragu Orecchiette wasn't as flavoursome as hoped, but otherwise the restaurant had a great atmosphere and decent service!

blogRead more on my blog

Dec 09, 2012

'www.excusemewaiter.com'

I have been to this restaurant a few times, once to try the Quick Fix menu with some gfs and thought the dishes were nice and we weren't stuffed after the 5 course which was good and then a group dinner where we all ordered stuffed zucchini to star then I had a steak which was cooked well and then ended with a nice dessert. The whole time we were well looked after by Stuart and the prices are reasonable for the standard of food and service in the city,

Nov 09, 2012

Not sure if my expectation was too high, the food was ok but nothing to rave about. I had the mulloway with broth which was quite salty. Decent service maybe will try come back for dinner.

Oct 06, 2012

Food was okay. So much effort had gone into the food, but it just didn't work. We had a party of 5, and I'd say everyone was just maybe a 7/10 on food. The prawn school was simply horrible and the bits of crispy prawn head were so sharp they gave my gums stab wounds! It was a good setting in terms of table layout, and ambience and the drinks were great.

Awesome wine list and we enjoyed nice wines. Then dessert, it was again, like they tried really hard in effort but the flavours just weren't there. Pretty expensive for the final product.

Sep 20, 2012

We opted for the Fix Me Up, let them pick 6 courses for you for $59, Veg Salad with goats cheese was magic. Cod Croquettes, average. Pork with apple sauce type terrine, magic. Smoked eel souffle, the winner. Finished with an affogato which was rubbish which was a shame. We will go back and now know which ones to and not choose.

Aug 23, 2012

I was really looking forward to our meal here after reading the reviews but was quite disappointed with the quality of the food. We shared the game terrine which was tasty but our mains didn't meet the mark. My Partner's orecchiette was undercooked, it needed atleast another two minutes so quite chewy, the sauce was also too salty.

My main, the Blue Eye Cod was better, a tad overdone and also salty, and the portion was as small as the entree. Still more enjoyable then my partner's meal. We both ate the pasta but couldn't bring ourselves to finish it. We also had a half carafe of wine which was selected for us, this went done very well.

Service was friendly and prompt, next time I will only be back for drinks. All up if I didn't have the entertainment card, the meal would have costed $110, not happy to pay what we did for food as it was just not up to the mark.

Apr 20, 2012