Fatima's Lebanese Restaurant

Available

Add a Review for Fatima's Lebanese Restaurant

User Reviews of Fatima's Lebanese Restaurant, Surry Hills

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

People need to be warned. This is not a restaurant but rather a sit in take-away place. I was mislead by the last few reviews that scored this place highly and I suspect they have an interest in giving this place good reviews. Tricking people is not the way to get repeat business and a poor substitute for dedication and hard work. I suggest anyone going here to dine should enter the right hand take away section rather than the restaurant entrance and look at the food in the warming trays because this is your meal. They simply take it out of there, zap it in a microwave and place it on a basic white plate with a paper napkin. Cauliflower was limp and tasteless; spinach triangles were very large but with soggy pastry (microwaved) with lemon flavour overpowering; lamb lady fingers fair and garlic chicken skewer was basic chicken with a blob of extremely strong flavoured garlic paste smeared on the side.

The establishment is unlicensed but was told there is a hotel nearby. Price was cheap for a restaurant but expensive for a take away. Staff were efficient, non engaging and did their job however one staff person in the take away kitchen section was friendly when we entered and left. The décor is out dated in dark colours with old dusty carpet murals on the walls and the place is generally grubby and needs a spring clean and professional repaint. At the pay desk there is paperwork going back years and clutter everywhere that can be viewed by the public. My guess this restaurant has been here a long time and living on past successes where the owners and chef have lost their passion for cooking and presenting good food. I would not eat here again.

Oct 03, 2014

Food, layout and feel are all good. Service last night was appalling. If someone loathes his job as a waiter, he should find a new job instead of acting so disinterested and rude. It's a shame considering the last time I ate here, the service was fantastic. That said, the food here is fresh and delicious and prices are very reasonable.

Apr 26, 2014

I had a great experience eating at Fatima's Restaurant. The service was quick and the food was delicious. A great place to dine when eating healthy, especially the garlic chicken.

Mar 21, 2013

You know, I can't fault the meal we had here. It was cosy, down-to-earth and the food was uniformly delicious and fresh. Hey, after prices in other parts of Surry Hills, this seemed very inexpensive to me (especially for all the food we ordered). Deep-fried cauliflower, lady fingers, tabouleh, all good...

Mar 12, 2013

We have been buying Fatima's Lebanese Food for many, many years and I would honestly say that it's the best in Sydney. We always get takeaway falafels, spinach pies, meat ladies fingers, hummus, garlic, tabbouleh, fresh home made bread, baklava It's Fantastic. It has helped us out on many occasions for birthday and festive situations everyone loves it great addition to a barbecue.

Dec 18, 2012

Our group of friends had been coming here on and off for years but last night was the last time we'll ever step into this place. We were offered the choice of 3 banquets and all chose the $30 a head banquette. The food itself was fine although mostly garlic, however when the bill came we were charged for a more expensive banquette. When this was told to our waitress she was rude and accused us of trying to get get out of paying. We were happy to pay, but pay for what we'd ordered (we even left a tip).

We were told the owner would have to come speak with us, which we were happy with. We waited for a about 20 minutes, after no one came we went down to find him. He was incredibly rude and aggressive and accused us of lying because we couldnt' remember exactly which waiter had served us originally and were told we "couldn't get our stories straight". Accusing your paying customers of lying, who've been coming here for years, is a bad move. At this point I had to step away as i was starting to feel punchy, and that wouldn't have ended well (the owner's bigger than me). We paid 30 each and left and will never be back.

Jul 29, 2012

Was disappointed with my experience here.

Booked a birthday dinner for 20 and was told I would have to come in and put down a $100 deposit before the night. Bit of a pain to not be able to do it over the phone, but fair enough. I did this and a note was marked down on the reservation that I had paid. When I put the deposit down (5 days prior to the actual booking) I told them there would probably be only 19 people and was told this was not a problem.

On the night we arrived (on time) and were greeted in quite a hostile manner, with a lady asking straight away how many people were coming because they were “expecting a busy night”. As I paused to count how many people were definitely coming I was cut off with an impatient “Who is the organiser here?”. I told the waitress/senior staff(?) that there were 19 people coming, as I had previously stated 5 days prior. She then told me, rudely, that I was incorrect and that I had booked for 20.

When I told her that I had let them know when I put down the deposit that it was in fact only going to be 19 she said “listen, I’m not going to fight over one person” as if I was being unreasonable! I was very embarrassed in from of my guests and it was a horrible start to my birthday dinner. For the record, exactly 19 people attended the dinner.

The food was good but not overwhelming. The falafel was amazing and definitely a highlight, although overall, I didn’t really feel like it was $35pp worth.
    (The bellydancer was amazing too, loved her!)

When the bill came the $100 deposit had not been taken off, a fact that we didn’t realise until after we had left and so had to call the restaurant again to sort out settling the bill the next day, another annoyance.

Wouldn’t go back and would avoid particularly with a big group.

Apr 27, 2012

Food  6      Service  5      Value  1

Prices are higher than on their website and totally bad value for money now. We got meat plate supposedly for 2 people. It was tiny with couple of small pieces of lamb amd chicken, one small bit of kofta and 1! piece of bread. It was $20 which I thought was terrible. Maybe when it was $12-15 I would have been more happy but $20 for takeaway is way too much for the small amount of food not even enough for 1.

Apr 20, 2012

Yum! One of the best Kafta Rolls in Sydney. Kafta Fresh off the grill! Hommos, Tabouli, remember to add the Cauliflower, Egg Plant and Garlic. You now have the perfect roll. Service is quick and efficient not rude. I'm here for the food not the conversation. Please can I have some more!

Apr 01, 2012

This was the worst Lebanese restaurant I have ever eaten at. I ordered the garlic chicken, tabouli, and lemon drink, and spent~$30 which is alot for a student. The bread was incredibly hard and not fresh, the tabouli ~okay~ but not the best, the lemon drink was very small, and when my chicken came out, which I had been waiting on for quite a while, it was burnt.

Now, I like my food well done, but every piece was burnt to a crisp in at least one corner, and I struggled to finish it all (which I never have issues with!). To top it off, the single person working there spent a good 10 minutes talking to me while I tried to eat about how he used to be a boxer, and then asked how the meal was...as if I would complain to a former boxer! He also ranted about his engineering degree in high performance vehicles....Also, for people who enjoy nice decor, the cutlery and plates etc here are awful.

I would strongly urge anyone considering Fatima's to go to any one of the many lebanese restaurants around. I particularly favour Hannibals, which for the exact same meal costs the exact same, but with far superior quality of food and service. Don't make the same mistake I did: this is definitely a "take-away" shop failing to deliver as a restaurant.

Jan 29, 2012