Devonshire, The

Prices $$$

Average Meal Price $53 - based on one entree & main course only

Fri Noon - 2:30pm
Tue to Sat 6pm - 10pm

Wine Tuesday-Thursday . No corkage on Tuesday.
Corkage per bottle $10.00

SMH Good Food Guide 2014 - One Chef's Hat

2013

SMH Good Food Guide 2013 - One Chef's Hat

Overview of The Devonshire

The Devonshire in Surry Hills is the kind of restaurant that doesn't strive to follow culinary fads. Instead, it is quite comfortable in is own classic and straightforward fine dining skin. The menu is a mix of Modern British, French and European. The dishes are as creative and flavoursome as described in the menu and in your plate. The wine list is short and sharp with a couple of heavy-hitters.

Like the food offered, The Devonshire's ambience is neutral and elegant. Service is impeccable. The Devonshire treats diners with style and grace like old-school dining out was.

Add a Review for The Devonshire

User Reviews of The Devonshire, Surry Hills

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

My partner and I had dinner here, a matched wines degustation, in December 2013 and loved it.

The food was excellent, and for a degustation the serving sizes were very generous (so much so that my partner couldn't finish the second dessert - which never happens!). Catering to my partner's vegetarian needs was no problem, and none of the dishes were disappointing.

The ambience was perfect for what we were after, although I think it would get quite loud when full (we went on a Wednesday night when it was only half full). The service was always prompt, with the description of the food and wine ranging from good to excellent.

We will be returning for sure - highly recommended.

Jan 02, 2014

We got the full degustation menu with matching wines so it was quite expensive, but good for a special occasion, the atmosphere is good but can get a bit loud when full, the food is spectacular though serves were a little small, the sommelier was fantastic.

Dec 22, 2013

We had the prix fixe lunch, and all three courses were excellent. My favourite was the desert, the orange jelly had a delicate but clear flavour which went beautifully with the ice cream and the chocolate. At the prix fixe of 35 dollars, it was great value. By the time we added a bottle of wine, a couple of side dishes and some coffee, it added to a bit over 60 dollars each. This was still good value given the quality of the food. My only real caveat is the acoustics. The place was only two-thirds full for lunch, but the noise level was apparent. The floor is tiled and the wall surfaces are hard, if the restaurant was full conversation might become a shouting match.

Nov 10, 2013

Dined here last Saturday night and had the degustation with matching wines. Fantastic food, wine and service and good value as well. The sommelier was a great guy and added a good bit of theatre to the night. Would not hesitate to go back.

Oct 16, 2013

Last night my husband and I ended up at The Devonshire. We literally "ended up here" after our original plans fell through for our 4th anniversary degustation dinner. We wanted a reasonably priced degustation to celebrate and fate (google) pointed us in the right direction. With extremely late notice for a booking, staff at The Devonshire were friendly, flexible and able to squeeze us in for an 8:30 booking.

We really didn't know what to expect at all! However, from the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, all staff were lovely, relaxed, humoured, knowledgable and highly professional. The restaurant itself has a beautiful vibe. Most importantly-all of the food included in the degustation was cooked perfectly and delicious... Not to mentioned filling! We could barely finish our last course/dessert, and this was definitely not for want of trying. We chose to have the matching wines because, let's be honest, what is a degustation without matching wines? The wines were great and generous in serving, while the knowledgeable sommelier added to the entire experience. All courses and matched wines were explained and times perfectly.

We will be recommending The Devonshire to friends and family, and absolutely plan to return. Thank you for making our anniversary fabulous, when it was about to go pear-shaped! And the best part of all was that they didn't even know it was our anniversary-so no special treatment-this is obviously simply their usual wonderful way.

Mobile Review Oct 06, 2013

I am so impressed with this place I don't even know where to start; My Partner and I had the 8-course degustation, and every single course was a flavour feast, who would have thought pea-foam could be delicious!

Higlights:
    -The fresh baked bread with Honey Butter (croissant heaven)
    -The delicious Beef Croquetts - deliciously silky shredded beef , delicately encased in a crispy crumb.
    -Roast pork loin, crisp pearl barley and chorizo ‘risotto’, celeriac, sage and apple jelllies (need I say more)
    -The Carrot cake, vanilla bean ice-cream and carrot foam. Absolutely delicious.

We were lucky enough to catch a voucher for this place, but I ended up leaving a large tip as it was just so good. Normal prices ($85 Per Person / $125 with matching wines) - so worth it! I would happily pay full price. They also they have a very reasonable wine list.

The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable and not overly intrusive. Its a gorgeous little space with modern/french styling and I will definitely return.

Sep 12, 2013

So impressed with this restaurant. The interior design is really stylish and makes the space so relaxing. Chef Jeremy and his crew manage to make every dish so intricate and full of flavour and the table settings are gorgeous to eat with. Had the degustation menu with some gorgeous wines and couldn't fault it. The staff are attentive, knowledgeable and friendly and made me want to come back again and again. Thanks!

Sep 07, 2013

We went there for the degustation menu, and opted for the matching wines. Based on the reviews on this site, I had high expectations, but ended up severely disappointed. The restaurant was full (on Tuesday night), but the level of service was an issue from first arrival and throughout the evening. The courses were incredibly slow to arrive - it took an hour to get through the first of 8 courses. I asked the waitress to pick up the pace between courses, but I may as well have asked the wall.

The food was overall pretty good. The seafood ravioli was excellent, but the salmon with orange just didn't work. The wine matches were hit & miss. The wine server didn't know too much about the wines he was serving, telling us that Gruner Veltliner was always a thin body light wine - he clearly has never tried some of the better full flavoured wines made from this grape! Coupling the insipid Gruner served here with crumbed beef rib was just awful.

Overall, a disappointing experience that could be vastly improved by better management of the flow of courses, and better matching of wines to the courses on offer.

Sep 04, 2013

We had the degustation and it was absolutely excellent. Service was outstanding and overall it was a very pleasant and memorable evening. We are definitely planning to be back.

Jul 27, 2013

Good service. Food presented nicely though none were spectacular. Dessert was nice and a good way to end the meal. I felt the place when it got full was so loud it was difficult to speak and maybe service got a little bit slower. Overall I think it was an enjoyable night but don't think I'll go back just because I didn't get the wow factor.

Jul 14, 2013

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The Devonshire, The « 1 of 13 photos »

Related Editorial Content for The Devonshire