Bambusia Chinese Restaurant

Add a Review for Bambusia Chinese Restaurant

User Reviews of Bambusia Chinese Restaurant, Bondi Junction

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Booking

This is one of the most popular restaurants in Bondi Junction, so booking is recommended any night of the week. We dined on a Sat night and there wasn’t an empty table in the place.

The fare here is mainly Chinese with a few token Indonesian and Malaysian choices added in. We stuck to the Chinese dishes and were not disappointed. Everything we ordered was of the highest quality in terms of ingredients, preparation and presentation.

For starters we had dim sums, spring rolls and curry puffs. Each item had been delicately prepared to be the perfect entree: not too rich and heavy or too big: just the right size and texture to whet your appetite for what was to follow. And in a practical touch, the most popular entrees can be ordered in singles, so you can simply choose how many you want in a serve. If there are only two of you, you can order two spring rolls etc, so that prevents over-ordering and wastage.

For my main course, I ordered the braised steak in plum sauce. The meat was finely cut up into small, thin pieces. It was tender, full of flavour and perfectly complemented by the sweet plum sauce. The lashing of cooked onions - my favourite vegetable - was the cherry on top for me. My partner also chose a meat dish: the sizzling fillet which was served with fresh, crunchy vegetables. And to round it all off, a generous bowl of boiled rice. What a delicious meal that was.

This is a lively and busy restaurant, so you’ll never have to worry about being stuck here as the only diners. But the decor however leaves one feeling as if one’s in a time warp. The non-descript plastic chairs, wooden tables and ugly dark carpet takes us back to the 1980s. Not a great period for interior design. So I reckon it’s time for a bit of a makeover, guys!

All wait staff were friendly, helpful and polite. It was just a pleasure being served by them. And this was, despite the fact that the place was full. When we arrived, our booked table was ready and waiting. The owner/manager greeted us warmly and made us feel welcome. Orders were quickly taken and our waiter was extremely patient as we took awhile to make up our minds. Drinks were brought out first, just the way I like it and the food was on the table within minutes.

Here we revisit the past again, because these are 1980s prices. With our 25% Ent Book voucher (up to max $20), we paid an unheard of $50 for two of us and that included three different entrees (two per serve), two mains, rice, two beers and a Irish coffee to finish off with.

Comfort

My only complaint was that, as there were only two of us dining, we were placed in the back section where it’s rather cramped. We would have preferred a table near the middle, but then given the crowds, this clearly wasn’t possible as the mid section is taken up with the larger tables. Apart from that, we were comfortable enough. The thick carpets keep the noise levels down to an acceptable level. Lighting is strong, making it easy to read the well-laid out menu. Toilets are a pleasure. They’re sparkling clean and well provisioned. It would be helpful though to have some signage visible from the restaurant to indicate where they are.

Location and Parking

You’ll find Bambusia near the corner of Newland and Ebley Streets. Now Bondi Junction is a bit of a dead zone at night, and the local council have made things worse by imposing metered parking until 9.00pm. And this despite the fact that hardly any spaces are taken, even on a Sat night. So, if driving, be prepared to pay up to $10 for parking on top of your restaurant bill. That’s bound to act as a discouragement to anyone from dining in this area. Thanks to the council for this bit of perverse logic and mumbo jumbo economics.

Summary

These guys have been here a long time and their experience and professionalism just shines through, especially when you consider how busy they were. They’ve created a first rate restaurant that works well on every level, from food to service, ambience and value for money. We’ll certainly be back.

Apr 14, 2014

Service  1      Value  2

This restaurant does not honour its entertainment book vouchers on delivery. Don't bother, there are plenty of other great options in the area.

Sep 23, 2012

I have been going there for over 20 years and still love the place and the food. The family that run the place have been there forever and make everyone feel at home. What more could you want.

May 23, 2012

I always go to Bambusia, the food is always tasty and priced good too! Service is good and a good sized restaurant too! Would definitely recommend checking it out!

Mar 11, 2012

The staff here are really friendly. We turned up without a booking, a week before Xmas, when they had a large function group in. The group was very noisy which made it difficult to chat, so the ambience that night was definitely affected by that. Its a small restaurant too, so you may feel a little claustrophobic.

The food is really good though, and despite the other large group, came quickly. I sometimes get take away from here, and its always good. Friendly staff and reasonable prices, a good place to dine for your fix of chinese food.

Jan 03, 2012

The service was shocking! the delivery was slow and the water served in an old glass v8 juice bottle was not by any mean acceptable. The food was average at best. The cramped layout and average seating made the experience even worse. I was not happy with the overdone newly renovated bathrooms considering the lack of care or consideration for fixtures in the dining area. Mirrors falling of walls and plastic chairs. I think mcdonalds is a better option. Seriously.

Jun 05, 2011

I must admit to not being a huge fan of Chinese cuisine, but my experience at Bambusia has changed this. Excellent, attentive, affable service. Good menu choice and overall selected well. The inebriated prawns comes with a high recommendation from me! Tables a little on the cramped size and the meal was rather rushed with particularly speedy delivery of the various courses! BYO is always a bonus. The restaurant lacks ambience and tables are quite close together! Still this place is to be recommended and we will be back to try other meal options!

May 25, 2011

The restaurant is like something from the 80's. The food is pretty good and the service is very good. You get the prawn crackers on arrival and all the usual classics. It is not the most authentic chinese going around but the restaurant is well kept and everything looks very clean.

Aug 31, 2010

I must have been going here for almost 15 years and never been disappointed. The food is good, probably not quite the best Chinese I've ever had buts its clean, the staff are always very helpful and the service is great, the food is very reasonably priced and the owner is such a good host. Try their duck in plum sauce, its amazing.

May 17, 2010

I have always had difficulty finding good chineses in Sydney since arriving in Sydney almost 25 years ago Ok, so its not fine dining but its decent chinese. It really is like stepping back in time but its like I said not fine dining. Great family restaurant! So again, please let me know where is better for the price. I only go here at the moment as I haven't found better!

May 03, 2010