Lord Dudley, The

Add a Review for The Lord Dudley

User Reviews of The Lord Dudley, Woollahra

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Food  8      Drinks  7      Ambience  7      Service  6      Value  6

The old place has not changed. A group of us enjoyed a mid week dinner here recently and we all found our meals to be of a high standard compared to many other hotels in the east. The table service was attentive, the ambience warming but with costs a tad on the high side. Overall value above average. Will return.

Jun 02, 2013

Food  3      Drinks  4      Ambience  6      Service  5      Value  2

We'd been meaning to go to the Lord Dudley for dinner for a long time as friends had mentioned that it was quite good. The inside-outside dining room has a nice airy feel to it which is quite amazing given the fact that you feel as though you're walking down into a basement when you leave the bar and go downstairs.

Unfortunately, that's as good as it got. We both had the fish, the snapper with a chickpea and choriza ragu and my partner had a slightly offbeat take on fish and chips. The Snapper itself was fine, but it was coupled with an overpoweringly smokey sauce that meant that the fish was there more for texture than for flavour.

The fish and chips was okay, but you had to wade through so many bones that it was much more work than it should have been. We ordered a bottle of the malbec, which I assumed was going to be a safe bet, but even an Argentinan Alpaca would have turned up its nose at it, which at $42 a bottle felt like it was over the top for such a mediocre wine.

The service was pleasant but slow. All in all, we were disappointed with it and for a little bit more you could get an amazing meal at the other end of Jersey Road in Buzo.

Jul 24, 2012

Food  2      Drinks  5      Ambience  5      Service  3      Value  1

Great old pub in Paddington/Woollahra, go for a drink, but not to eat.

Food was terribly sub-standard. The tasteless beef and mushroom pie came in a dish which was only less than half full of food, topped with filo pastry over the top of the dish to give the illusion of a pie, but was a joke. The menu has been reduced, the roast scotch fillet was overdone on the outside and inedible, whilst the middle was raw, obviously slow cooked on a really low temperature, so it was mostly raw. Soup looked and tasted like its straight out of a can.

At $28 for an inedible botched scotch fillet and $20 for a pie with about $2 worth of food, sums up the kitchen's efforts.

Go for a drink, but avoid if you are hungry, expensive bad food.

Jun 11, 2012

Food  1      Drinks  5      Ambience  3      Service  2      Value  1

I ordered a tiger prawn pasta dish which took over an hour to be delivered and had a mere 3 undersized prawns. The dish was $27.50 - what a joke. The place needs an urgent renovation as the carpets were threadbare in the non-main area. Drinks $10 per glass for wine. The bangers and mash with peas was ok but overpriced again. Very overrated considering comparable pubs in the area.

May 22, 2012

Food  5      Drinks  5      Ambience  9      Service  8      Value  6

Have been a few times for a drink, which we have always enjoyed. Decided to have lunch here yesterday for the first time. The food was nothing special to be honest. The service was good, but what we do love about the pub is the atmosphere, so going for a drink here in the future is definitely on the cards, but for a meal probably not.

Apr 06, 2010

Food  8      Drinks  8      Ambience  8      Service  8      Value  8

I wasn't sure what to expect given the poor reviews from last year. As it turned out the food was excellent and the service was also of a very high standard. The Rib Eye was perfectly cooked and my other friends also enjoyed the lamb cutlets and duck. The only disappointments were the Tiramisu which was a little too sweet and the wine menu is pretty dire.

Jan 19, 2010

Food  10      Drinks  10      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  8

We visited on a Monday night and the restaurant was surprisingly full. This is a great old pub oozing in character and ambience. Fabulous. Enjoyed a pint of Speckled Hen, brilliant my new favourite beer. When we arrived at the restaurant we were warmly greeted. The menu was presented on large blackboards which the wait staff spent all night moving around.

The menu was expansive, something for every body, good wholesome simple fare ranging from Guiness Pie, to susages and marsh, to ribeye steak, to ribs or fish. Pricing from about $19 to $38. Portion sizes were large. I chose the ribs and chips with heaps of sauce. Excellent. My wife chose the Lambs fry and bacon and the others the ribeye and another ribs. Before mains we shared a salmon salad dish and some spring rolls.

The food was all just great. It was also refreshing to have some great wait staff (not young girls) with some maturity who could only be described as good sorts who worked well as a team and looked after us very well. I was impressed. Thanks for a great night out. I highly recommend The Lord Dudley.

Sep 22, 2009

Food  7      Drinks  7      Ambience  8      Service  1      Value  4

We waited almost 1.5 hours for our mains to arrive and when the waitress was questioned about the delay she advised "there is another large table here tonight" (no apology). We did receive a small "complimentary" bowl of vegetables for our troubles.

Jul 30, 2009

Food  4      Drinks  4      Ambience  7      Service  6      Value  3

I normally spend a bit of time writing reviews except when the experience is bad. This wasn't bad as such, more disappointing. A great pub, great atmosphere let down by less than average food which is poor value for money.

The menu does not represent traditional fare which in the middle of winter should have at least some hearty examples like a steak and ale pie or a chicken casserole. In short, about 12 of us ate there to celebrate a friends birthday and I ordered the Rib Eye and chips at $35.00. For a good cut of steak, I'll always have it rare. Number one, it was very average in quality and secondly, it was cooked more medium rare than rare. The McDonalds fries weren't particularly appealing and there was no sauce except for a pathetic attempt at a cafe de paris or garlic and herb butter.

I really can't write this review with any enthusiasm except to say that no-one was blown away by the food and no-one was 'send it back' disappointed with it either. Bland is probably the best word to describe it and its ridiculously overpriced for what it is. The service gets an extra point for trying and the ambience on the whole is good as it is a nice pub.

Will I eat there again? Yes probably but not out of personal choice. It'll be another birthday or something but next time, it has to be much better. Stop trying to be some bistro and instead, can we have more traditional dishes that is inline with the pub's image on the menu please.

Jun 24, 2009

Food  1      Drinks  1      Ambience  7      Service  2      Value  1

I must have reviewed The Dudley at some time because I've been coming here for years, mainly in winter because of one of the best open fires in town.
    But alas, the food has gone to the dogs. Last time I had a hamburger that was inedible. The waitress took my plate and said nothing about the three-quarters uneaten meat, didn't care I'm sure. At a couple of minutes past three while we were still eating the waitress started clearing our table. Flowers, condiments etc. without asking if we were finished. I wish she'd taken my burger away because I felt awful after, even though I only ate a quarter of it. My wife had the lamb's fry which was paper-thin, rubbery and tasteless.
    Sorry Dudley, I love your fire and old english feel but we can't come back until the eatability reviews tell me things have improved.

May 04, 2009

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Featured Offers

Jah Bar » Manly
    50% Off Food Bill (Dinner). Book online now!

Get news, specials and deals

Related Editorial Content for The Lord Dudley