Rose of Australia Hotel

Pubs

Add a Review for Rose of Australia Hotel

User Reviews of Rose of Australia Hotel, Erskineville

Food  6      Drinks  7      Ambience  7      Service  7

The steak specials in the upstairs restaurant used to be delicious and excellent value. We went back this week and tried the ten dollar Tbone special from the main bar and it was great! Nice mushroom sauce, chips and salad too! one of the best $10 steak deal around (I hunt them).

Mobile Review Feb 07, 2014

Food  2      Service  2

I ordered the Guiness pie with mash and gravy tonight. I've had it before and enjoyed it. But tonight the mash and gravy were barely luke warm. I spoke to the staff and they took it back to the kitchen. I was given a fresh pie only this time the mash and gravy were cold. So, I spoke to the manager and even invited him to try it, which he did.

The Manager said they couldn't get the food any hotter because it was served on a cold plate and had to come all the way from the kitchen. We were actually sitting inside below the stairs to the kitchen upstairs.. so I suppose everyone outside on the footpath who were eating also had cold food because it is so much further away from the kitchen?

In the end I said I wouldn't eat a pie served on cold mash with cold gravy. I wasn't offered anything else, nor was I offered a refund. But I was given the distinct impression that the real problem was that I was fussy and expected too much.

Won't be back here to eat again. This place has been going downhill for at least 18 months. Time for a management and staff change.

Apr 29, 2013

Food  6      Drinks  8      Ambience  7      Service  9      Value  7

Service is great here, there are a couple of girls that do great floor service on saturdays. Good atmosphere with a nice bunch of locals, and a nice range of drinks.

Apr 15, 2013

Food  7      Drinks  7      Ambience  6      Service  7      Value  7

Good pub food, the pizza is especially good.

Feb 07, 2013

Food  4      Drinks  6      Ambience  3      Service  2      Value  1

We went to the Rose of Australia Hotel as we had heard the food was good. The menu is mainly pork and needs more variety. We ordered bruschetta, the bread was like eating 3 day old bread that you had to cut with your steak knife! My partner ordered the pork belly and he was served up pork spare ribs sliced. Extremely disappointed with the overall experience.

Jan 16, 2013

Food  8      Drinks  4      Ambience  7      Service  2      Value  4

Have dined here in the restaurant upstairs a couple of times in the last twelve months and have to say the service is getting worse. Had a friends 40th there and the hotel won't allow you to order drinks and pay for them at the restaurant bar. All drinks are by table service. It's ok to have such a policy but when there's no one to serve you it makes it very difficult to get a drink.

We ended up going downstairs to the bar and purchasing wine and taking it back to the table. The place also charges a surcharge of $3.00 a bottle of wine for the entertainment at the public bar. I was still charged this even though I explained to the barman that I was only buying the wine there as the restaurant service was pathetic.

It's a pity the place is going downhill so fast as the food is great.

Aug 06, 2012

Food  2      Drinks  6      Ambience  4      Service  1      Value  3

I was once a regular at this pub but no longer. The last 2 meals that I have had at The Rose of Australia were both extremely disappointing. The first was snapper which was so over cooked it was hard to chew and even harder to swallow. I left my plate 80% uneaten.

The second, tonight, was not even what I had ordered. After a 40 minute wait, I decided to simply eat what I was given. The meal got even worse when I was still charged for their mistake. Terrible service, terrible! Such a disappointment considering this was a great restaurant 6 months ago.

May 08, 2012

Food  6      Drinks  7      Ambience  6      Service  1      Value  4

The senior staff was not at all apologetic when we complained about waiting over an hour for our meals, she said our meals didn't come out for over an hour because we still had garlic bread on the table, actually it's just that no-one noticed we still didn't have our mains until we complained about the wait, when other people were being served around us. The senior staff needs to pick up her customer service training and do your job to supervise the floor.

Apr 19, 2012

Food  6      Drinks  8      Ambience  8      Service  8      Value  6

We had dinner here on Saturday night, downstairs in the bar. The overall feel of the interior is a bit tired. The staff are excellent and fast. They have a large variety of good wines and beers available.

We both ordered the 400gram sirloin for $24 each but unfortunately it was a little disappointing, at least 40grams of the steak was inedible gristle but otherwise the meal was ok. The rose is one of the better quality hotels in the area, I will eat here again.

Jan 09, 2012

Food  2      Drinks  6      Ambience  6      Service  6      Value  2

I have been to the restaurant in the Rose of Australia twice. I was quite impressed on my first visit (in 2009), but very disappointed on my second (last week).

The food was worse than average. I took my parents and my partner, based on the good experience a couple of years ago. My mother's entrée of risotto cakes was barely edible - the cakes had been deep fried (which seemed unnecessary in the first place) but were falling apart, soggy with oil and weirdly flavourless.

My main of pumpkin ravioli was revolting - the cream sauce tasted overcooked. I could not finish the entree-sized dish I ordered. The fish in the fish and chips was more batter than fish and the fish pie was mainly potato mash and not tasty mash at that.

The service was good and the wine we ordered was delicious, but this place needs to fire its chef and find someone who can cook. The current chef seems to be struggling with the basics, to say the least.

Oct 11, 2011