Maroubra Junction Hotel

Pubs

Add a Review for Maroubra Junction Hotel

User Reviews of Maroubra Junction Hotel

Food  10      Drinks  9      Ambience  8      Service  10      Value  10

To say that I was pleasantly surprised by our meal last night at the good old MJH, would be a serious understatement!

This is probably the oldest pub in Maroubra and most of us locals remember it fondly as the place were our grandfathers used to go for a beer in the old days.

I ate there a couple of years ago when it was 'no names'. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but it was certainly nothing special. The new restaurant, however, would have to be one of Sydney’s best kept secrets. Fortunately for me it is just down the road.

The 750 gram, grain feed T-bone, was beautifully marbled, juicy and flavoursome. Most importantly it was cooked to perfection. I medium 'rarely' order a steak and have it arrive at the table exactly how I ordered it. Last night I ordered medium rare and that is precisely how it came. Not only was it cooked perfectly, it was a 750gram T-bone with a deliciously fresh salad and chips for 22 dollars? I kid you not.

I am 6 foot 3 and I had to fight to finish it. The only thing that got me over the line was its unbeatable flavour and unparalleled quality.

I have eaten at Hurricanes where a 650gm, so called 'Mammoth' T-bone costs 44 dollars and you have to line up for an hour to get it. At Ribs and Rumps their 450gm T-bone costs 36.95 and it is never cooked how you ordered it. At Bistro Moncur the prime fillet costs 45 dollars and it is so small you feel like going for a cheeseburger half an hour after you leave.

At Rockpool a 400 gm T-bone is 45 dollars and it is not even as good in my opinion. I was so excited by what I experienced last night my girlfriend told me to stop going on about it this morning.

I would recommend going there for dinner and pub trivia on Wednesday nights. But any night of the week is fine because there is a huge amount of space out back. You will never struggle to find a table at the MJH. My friend had the pork loin chop (pork T-bone) with apple sauce and veg, he said that was delicious as well. That was only 9 dollars on Special.

Value for money is actually 15 out of 10. But for me, quality is most important aspect and the quality of the meat/meal was world class. The service was outstanding and the pub has a friendly, local feel to it. I should also mention that it is staffed by some very attractive Brazilian girls.

I will go as far as saying that, in my opinion, this is the best Steak in Sydney and I have eaten steaks all over the world. They have clearly put a great deal of effort into this new restaurant and it shows. All carnivores should get down there Asap, you will not be disappointed.

10/10 MJH, keep up the good work.

Dec 18, 2012

Food  10      Drinks  9      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  10

The first impression when I walked in MJH’s restaurant was totally different than I came in last time: new decoration, new name as ” MJ’s “ which suits this restaurant and the hotel. New menu with all varieties of dishes which more than only normal pub food (PS, the waitress mentioned few more new dishes are coming up soon).

I ordered a rib eye (served with mushroom sauce) side dish with veggies, the rib eye cooked exactly what I ordered as med - rare, I can say it’s better than I expected, sauce taste nice and fresh with new set of veggies which made it looks gorgeous. Really friendly staff with perfect service provided. Great value, Great food! I definitely will come back again with my friends and family.

May 30, 2012

Food  1      Drinks  8      Ambience  2      Service  5      Value  4

The bar is what you'd expect from a local, not flash, and some of the clientele are a bit feral, but if you don't mind that, it's not too bad... but I'd leave the kids at home. Staff are all pleasant and chirpy which helps with the atmosphere. The restaurant, No Names, suggests the chef doesn't have much imagination... And neither does his cuisine. If whacking some Heinz tomato sauce between some cheddar and a chewy bit of schnitzel is your idea of a perfect parmigiana, and a small side of over-cooked frozen veggies is your cuppa-tea - and all for an inflated price - then No Names won't let you down. It's just a shame because this pub has so much potential!

Oct 20, 2011

Food  1      Drinks  1      Ambience  1      Service  1      Value  4

This establishment has definitely gone down hill since the change of owners. Was once a fantastic place to enjoy a meal but will definitely not be returning after the disappointing food and service.

Jan 18, 2009

Food  2      Drinks  2      Ambience  3      Service  1      Value  3

Have been there a couple of times, and I always walk out thinking I won't go back. The only reason I go back is because I live locally. The last time i was there with my boyfriend, we were the only ones dining, it took almost an hour to get our meals! And it was just plain steak and vegies! Don't know what happened, maybe they ran out of frozen vegies and had to run to coles to buy some? In the end it didn't taste very nice and I left more than half of it! Very disappointing.

Dec 03, 2008

Food  3      Drinks  3      Ambience  1      Service  3      Value  3

This place has to be the lowest form of scum I could possibly describe. The food is over priced with a waitress that has no social skills, I'm un-impressed at the level of professionalism the staff has. I live locally and never thought to go to the hotel as this doesn't look like the environment that I wanted to bring my children. However I was referred by a friend and I am disappointed. I will never take my children there again, it doesn't even appear to take the steps required to have children in the venue, I’m not sure they should be aloud their license.

Apr 22, 2008

Food  2      Drinks  2      Ambience  2      Service  4      Value  4

No Names, more like No Frills. Went yesterday, different owners, food was awful, service was ok, value average, ambience was terrible, we were even lucky to make it into the bistro as we had to walk past a herd of drunk people and the little ones were scared. Not somewhere to write home about.

Feb 03, 2008

Food  10      Drinks  10      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  10

Went to MJH No Names last week with the family and we had a terrific meal and it was all very relaxed and friendly. The meals where huge, the little ones and the misses couldn't finish them. We'll be back.

Oct 04, 2007

Food  1      Drinks  1      Ambience  2      Service  5      Value  7

What youd expect from dining in a pub environment. Food was cheap and the place had a beer smell about it. Food was very ordinary.

Jan 22, 2007

Food  9      Drinks  9      Ambience  8      Service  9      Value  9

No Names at Maroubra Junction Hotel was very impressive. The food was fresh and delicious, just like mamma used to make. The price was excellent. The ambience was relaxed and the service outstanding. Highly recommended to anyone.

Nov 18, 2006

Featured Offers

Jah Bar » Manly
    50% Off Food Bill (Dinner). Book online now!

Get news, specials and deals