Sotto On West

Ground Level, 67 West St
North Sydney NSW 2060

Sotto On West Contact Info

Prices $

Average Meal Price 12 - based on one main course only (entree could not be calculated)

Breakfast

Sun 8am - 2pm
Mon to Sat Noon - 4:30pm

Corkage Per Person $2.50

Specialties

• Traditional Eggs Benedict served in tomato cups topped with crisp pancetta and chives
  • Omelette with ocean trout, spinach and chives topped with creme fraiche
  • Eye fillet of beef, caramelised onion, beetroot, truss tomato, baby spinach and relish served on French country bread with shoestring chips
  • Prawns with spaghetti, sweet cherry truss tomato, garlic, parsley and a little chilli

Cafes

Child Friendly Highchairs
Outdoor Dining

EFTPos

Overview of Sotto On West

Sotto On West (Sotto meaning underneath in Italian) is situated on the corner of West and Carlow streets and occupies the bottom level of a 3-storey terrace. Incorporating an Eastern Suburbs style edge with a casual village style culture, the cafe aims to create a unique, relaxed and inviting atmosphere for all to enjoy.

We strive to provide good food, good coffee and inviting service. With our own tea cup lighting featured in the internal seating area and an outdoor courtyard with a vertical herb garden the venue is designed to create a comfortable, relaxed and inviting space.

Serving breakfast and lunch seven days a week with future plans to open evenings as well.

Add a Review for Sotto On West

Coffee

Coffee

User Reviews of Sotto On West, North Sydney

First time as Sotto on West was good... enough for us to visit today but we won't be coming back. Cold, impersonal service, tiny portions for scrambled eggs, hair in my bacon and eggs and kitchen took forever (even worse when after waiting 30 mins the surly staff came out to say they had run out of corn fritters). Finally when going up to pay the bill they were going to charge for the corn fritters and then charge the babycinnos as coffees... I don't think so (and I won't be back). :-(

Apr 14, 2013

Whoever created the breakfast menu was clearly high. It took 40 minutes to be seated and served (with a booking), a further 25 for half our coffees and another 15 for the remainders. Food arrived individually in 10 and 20 minute intervals with the more "difficult" dishes coming out last. As I sat persishing and salivating over my friends meals I wished I just got the bloody egg & bacon roll. Overall it was a $120 breakfast that took 4 hours. Only go there of you've got time, and patience.

Feb 03, 2013

Sotto is housed in a vintage building on a quiet tree-lined street, the perfect setting for a street café. The place has personality and the menu strives to be creative and international. The service is friendly and swift. However, the breakfast we had was not the tastiest in the area, although the coffee is superb. Check out my blog entry about the place at:

blogRead more on my blog

Jul 03, 2012

The place is quite cramped, the staff kept bumping into the back of the chair, had to move chair for people getting in and out, which wasn't relaxing at all.

We had salad, 2 kinds of pasta, fruit for dessert and coffee. Pasta and coffee were pleasant, but the bowl of fruit was not fresh and had the tangy sour taste to it. It tasted like the fruit has been cut a week ago. Although the pasta and coffee were nice, we left with the sour, off fruit taste in our mouth, so, unfortunately, we will not go back.

Feb 02, 2012

I love coming here the food is always changing and first rate and the coffee is always very good. I think the team here are friendly and always willing to please. The service can be a little on the slow side but, (the cafe is always very busy) seems to be a lot better lately (maybe more staff or a change in staff?). Recommended for a great weekend breakie with friends..

Jan 23, 2012

We love the food at Sotto. Regrettably we have had to walk out on breakfast three times in three months (before ordering!) as we have been unable to get a waiter's attention. Who am I kidding, they are completely oblivious to their clients. A couple of times we have stuck it out, but they remain so haphazard (juice After we've completed our meals?). It is such as we kept on perservering as the food was worth it. No more, just cross the road to somewhere else where they care about their customers.

Nov 29, 2011

Wonderful flavour combinations (for example, the sandwich of slow-cooked pulled pork and cucumber with a hint of Vietnam) and serious attention to food quality are the centerpiece of this cafe. But the place is quirky. The service is a bit improvised, and while that keeps the cafe feeling cozy it can also become the focal point rather than the food.

Aug 27, 2011

We visited Sotto on West based on reviews. While the food created by the busy kitchen were delicious, the service was really, really slow. I suppose some like to take 45 minutes between sitting and eating, but...

The main waiter was efficient, but she was let down by the others who were acting more like they were helping out a friend who couldn't show for work rather than actually being engaged in their job. Good food, let down by disorganisation. Oh - and no music?

Jul 17, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekday lunch at this place. Really enjoyable meal with a very down to earth waiter who made us feel welcome. Their juices were pretty special too. I had a carrot, orange and ginger juice. If you had any illness, I think that would've got rid of it. We also ordered a watermelon, pear and apple juice. The juices were $6 each so it is comparable to the franchise places you buy from if you're a juice person.

I ordered their orecchiette with bacon and basil and my girlfriend had a lamb ragu tagliatelle. Pastas were reasonably priced ($14) and just superbly put together in flavours. Looking around the cafe, I'd say their sandwiches are the biggest hit.

We also finished off with an apricot tart, what you'd expect from any cafe that actually bakes them and doesn't just microwave (you can see them bake it), delicious! There is a contemporary and bright feel about the place. Just check out photos online of the dangling teacups and cushion bench. If you're in the area, then definitely give this place a go.

Jul 06, 2011

Fabulous place. I work near this place and it has become my regular place to go for lunch. Every meal I have had, has been great. Love the chicken sandwich and the chicken burger. The bread they use is top quality, and they have some yummy sweets ie. freshly baked delicious muffins and caramel slice. yum! Love the decor too, especially the tea cup lampshades. It feels very homely, and is a lovely place to eat at. Highly recommended!

Jun 28, 2011