Cornersmith

SMH Good Cafe Guide 2014 - EFTPOS Best Cafe

2012

SMH Good Cafe Guide 2012 - Local Hero Award

Overview of Cornersmith

Cornersmith is very hard to miss by the intersection of Illawarra Road and Central Avenue. There's something about it's shiny facade of reddish-brown brick-like tiles that seem to draw one's attention to the bustling life behind its see-through glass walls. The fitout's interiors actually look like a laboratory due to the white brick tiles that dominate the cafe.

Beyond this somewhat plainness, Cornersmith's offerings for breakfast and lunch are actually more than what meets the eyes. The cafe's unique menu of gourmet food was formulated to give locals in Marrickville a nutritious yet worthwhile dining experience. They serve healthy finds made from nitrate-free, free-range meat, fresh veggies, and natural ingredients. No wonder their breakfast plate is the talk of the town. That's on top of their signature offerings for cakes and sweets partnered with robust coffee. With a cool vibe that warms up on anyone walking through their door, it's a wonderful place to sit down with friends and family to enjoy food at its best.

Add a Review for Cornersmith

User Reviews of Cornersmith, Marrickville

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Food  9      Coffee  8      Ambience  6      Service  9      Value  9

One of the most delicious and fresh breakfasts I have had in a long time. The avocados had arrived that day from a local garden and the pouched eggs were done to perfection. Loved every mouthful. The food is so fresh and the selection of chutneys that they make themselves are wonderful. Only downside is the size of the place as it is hard to get a table and were had a couple of very noisy people sitting next to us. Would still go back for their delicious food.

Aug 31, 2014

Food  7      Coffee  7      Ambience  7      Service  7      Value  7

Keeping it simple I found it to be nice, and I enjoyed my brekky and coffee.

May 09, 2014

Food  7      Coffee  9      Ambience  7      Service  7      Value  5

Great food, but menu is not extensive - especially if you're after something more than toast or eggs. The coffee makes up for the limited food choices!

Mobile Review Mar 14, 2014

Food  10      Coffee  10      Ambience  9      Service  9      Value  9

Seriously one of the tastiest cafes I have been lucky enough to visit. The coffee is spectacular, the latte is luxuriously creamy. I had a poached egg roll with pasture raised ham, cabbage and mint slaw with a honey mustard dressing and aioli. So delicious I am craving it right now. The mulberry, peach and nectarine muffin is out of this world. The menu focuses on seasonality and local ingredients. Cornersmith is well known for their incredible pickles and preserves. Did someone say fig and earl grey jam? Yes please! A must visit if you are in the neighbourhood.

Sugar spice and all things nice I heart Cornersmith lattes

Mar 07, 2014

I live locally and had heard lots of hype, so thought this would be a perfect spot to meet my old boss for an early weekday breakfast. The staff were super nice, but I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed by the breakfast menu. There was a great selection of jams and marmalades etc., but nothing really for someone like me who prefers savoury to sweet. A nice piece of sourdough with some eggplant pickle and avocado or ricotta would have been a real treat - instead I opted for the poached eggs, which were perfectly poached, but just not what I really felt like eating. It was nice but not spectacular.

Nov 12, 2013

Food  7      Coffee  5      Ambience  9      Service  6      Value  7

A quaint little café in busy Marrickville serving interesting food. Friendly and cheerful staff were able to make recommendations as I found many items on the menu required some explanation. I would score service higher if they provided menus and took orders at tables. The pumpkin and cinnamon loaf with ricotta and walnuts was a lovely alternative to the typical banana bread, however I would have liked more than a teaspoon of ricotta with mine. The coffee was disappointing. It was weak and very milky. A nice enough café but nothing ultimately worth the car trip.

Oct 13, 2013

Food  9      Coffee  9      Ambience  8      Service  8      Value  7

Wow - this is a great cafe right in the middle of busy Marrickville. We ordered eggs with the toast and it was very enjoyable. Their range of food was impressive but with an interesting mix of ingredients. Coffee was just excellent and hot chocolate pretty good. Well worth the visit.

Aug 13, 2013

Food  9      Coffee  9      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  9

I've been to Cornersmith twice and my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The coffee is good and hot with a good freshly roasted flavour. The food is great, I love the fact that they source local ingredients and the milkshakes are unique and a must try on each visit. The staff are very pleasant, friendly, relaxed and helpful. I couldn't really ask for much more so we will keep coming back :)

Aug 04, 2013

'Give me ALL the breakfast!'

Food  6      Coffee  5      Ambience  6      Service  7      Value  6

I was really disappointed with this place after great reviews from my sister and this site.

It is really important that everyone's word of the moment - organic - doesn't actually translate to 'bland, taste-less food'.

The oats were truthfully horrible. They were overcooked and sludgy, the poached apples and slither of honey not offering the required sweetener to make them edible. They were supposed to be earthy, I get it, but two spoons is all my partner could muster.

The toast with quince was supposed to be a safe choice, but despite the large pieces of sourdough, the coarse, boring spread barely covered one piece.

The pumpkin loaf (with several other 'fashionable' ingredients) was actually great for a snack. No complaints here.

The coffee - a short Machiatto - had way too much milk sadly but still got the heart pumping briefly. The hot chocolate was terribly weak.

Looking at the other tables, some food looked great but with small portions and sides of sliced meats at $5 for a few slithers, it's just not worth the trouble of squeezing into the tiny space to eat.

The staff perfectly fit the Marrickville crowd, with their unwashed hair and second hand (vintage of course) clothes and were nice enough, but the food was one big unexpected letdown. So much so, we had a second breakfast in a nearby cafe.

I'm all for saving the children, world peace, happy animals and holding hands but here's an idea - make it edible.

Mobile Review Aug 01, 2013

Food  9      Coffee  10      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  8

Came here last weekend. Very cute café, sets off a great vibe.

It was packed with people so had to go on a waiting list. However we only waited about 5 mins until we were called in.

I had the Mandarin, cinnamon and wattle seed shake which I have pictured below.
    That was very refreshing. Very unusual flavor but it worked.

I then got the poached egg over brussel and radish slaw with toasted hazelnuts.
    This however was nice, but lacked in flavor. A little too bland.

My partner got the poached eggs on toast with a side of salami.

blogRead more on my blog

Jul 19, 2013

'http://greataustralianbite.blogspot.com.au/?view=s'

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Cornersmith Cornersmith Cornersmith Cornersmith Cornersmith Sugar spice and all things nice I heart Cornersmith lattes

Related Editorial Content for Cornersmith