Reviews

Wagyu House, Croydon

Restaurants, Korean, BYO, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7.8  8

Best Korean BBQ in Sydney.

The meat selection is fantastic - of the highest quality, extensive breadth of choice and all tastes catered for, including vegetarian. On our night out we enjoyed pork belly, chilli seafood (calamari), vegetable platter and wagyu beef. Once the meat is purchased from the 'butcher', all side dishes are complimentary with an enormous range of delicacies, that are attentively replenished throughout dining.

Service is very friendly and keen, and the restaurant manager really went out of his way to make himself known and available to all diners.

The parking, whilst convenient given it's Parramatta Road location, can become difficult to navigate when at capacity. Perhaps enabling the parking attendants to valet would be a better option than packing cars in like sardines and then not being willing or able to assist the odd blocked in driver when service is done. This alone explains the discrepancy between my scores for food and service versus ambience.

Jan 31, 2013

Restaurants, Barbeque, Korean, BYO, Licensed

Overall 6.9  20

Great Kimchi pancake and their Bibimbap is good, all other dishes were very disappointing. The Combination vegetable and seafood hot pot was a stand-out, for all the wrong reasons. Flavour wise it was bland, with the odd foul taste tainting it throughout. We ate very little of it. And at $40 for this dish alone, it won't be an event that I'll be giving them a second go on.

Service was slow and disjointed, the prices exorbitant but the ambience was ok for a suburban Korean BBQ.

If you want to avoid a trip to Campsie or Strathfield and must visit, I'd recommend sticking to a quick lunch of pancake and bibimbap, and giving all else a wide berth.

Oct 21, 2012

Century, The, Pyrmont

Restaurants, Chinese, Seafood

Overall 5.8  6

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Good food, but nothing special, to the extent that I was surprised that this is born of the same owners of Golden Century in Chinatown. Whilst all dishes were fresh and predictably presented, none were what I'd consider to be particularly flavourful or authentic. It strikes me as a Chinese restaurant designed for well-healed (and somewhat ignorant) Westeners, who are more interested in flash than flavour.

Service was efficient as one would expect, but I did find it off-putting that all floor staff paid greater attention to their earpieces than their customers. Understandable when you're dealing with thousands at yum-cha, not so when the staff outnumber the punters in an a la carte setting.

On a more positive note, the ambience, decor and atmosphere are great for a Chinese restaurant, with well designed spaces, high quality tableware and some inviting looking private dining spaces.

Prices were expensive - the highest I've ever paid for Chinese. I'd estimate dishes to be 25-75% higher than comparable dishes in Chinatown. Given my indifference to the food, value is therefore pretty poor.

I probably won't be back. If I want Chinese I'll go to Chinatown, if I want fine dining I'll go to a highly reputed fine dining restaurant. The Century strives but fails to achieve both of these things, but charges as if it does.

Oct 11, 2012

Overall 4.9  12

I had the Classic Fish and Chips for lunch today, and declare myself unfriended from the Flying Fish franchise. I love their fine dining restaurant and eat there regularly, but their venture into the food court at the Star is not a successful one.

Value and service were both fine. $14.90 for fish and chips anywhere outside of an I&J box in Sydney is to be expected. What failed for me was the battered fish. Terribly oily, and the flesh itself, soft and fatty. I'm not sure what fish it was, but when the flathead version of their fish and chips is $10 more a serve, I should have reset my expectations to below acceptable.

Needless to say, I didn't eat much of the fish, and won't be returning to give it another try.

Restaurants, Italian, Pizza, BYO, Has Bar

Overall 7.6  53

Dined here with the family on a quiet Sunday night. We felt very special having the restaurant to ourselves, but a little confused as to where all the other punters were.

The food is great, the selection is broad and caters well to those keen on fresh seafood. Their calamari entree was the best I've ever eaten, and was only one of many great dishes shared on the night.

Service was friendly, accommodating and genuine. We felt very much at home and look forward to returning soon.

More Reviews...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Wagyu House, Croydon

Restaurants, Korean, BYO, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7.8  8

Best Korean BBQ in Sydney.

Jan 31, 2013

Overall 7.6  53

Fujiyama, Leichhardt

Restaurants, Japanese

Overall 7.1  36

As a semi-frequent diner at Fujiyama, I'm surprised by the negative reviews found here. Norton Street is crammed full of over-hyped and ultimately disappointing restaurants, but Fujiyama is not one of them.

Offering a handsome selection of generously proportioned, innovative and fresh dishes, there is always something tantalising and new to try out. Their Agedashi Tofu is one of the richest and tastiest I've ever tried, and their Udons come packed full of tastes and textures. There's no skimping on fresh, high quality ingredients here. The presentation of dishes is artful and precise, and the condiments perfectly proportioned.

Service is polite, approachable and efficient, although you do sometimes have to explain yourself clearly to the Japanese waiters to be understood. But that, in my opinion, goes hand in hand with eating at an authentic ethnic restaurant.

The decor is warm and genuine, with good spacing between tables and the option to dine inside or out. Great for groups and families, and a welcome, refreshing option to most of what Norton Street has to offer.

Aug 04, 2012

Balla, Pyrmont

Restaurants, Italian, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 5.9  43

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful

Had lunch with work colleagues today, and wasn't overly impressed. The space from the outside looks refined, hip and highly styled. Once inside, the feeling is more of a 4-star hotel buffet.

The food, and the menu itself was fairly uninspiring. I expected more from a Manfredi restaurant. Service was quite confused, as if all staff were in training. We were approached by three different people to order wine, but none could help us order food, or direct us to someone who could. Hence, what was intended as a work lunch took almost two hours, and I had to leave for a meeting 10 minutes after finally receiving my meal.

Servings were small, and prices were high. Strangely, prices for the pasta dishes listed on the menu are for entree size. If you want a main size you can get one, but costs for them aren't listed. Expect to pay close to $40 for a meagre bowl of pasta.

With so many superior fine dining options nearby, I won't be back.

Aug 01, 2012

Kampung, Pyrmont

Takeaways, Thai, Ample or Convenient Parking

Overall 6.8  6

Situated in the food court area of Star Casino, this little Thai outlet reminds me of the saying involving lipstick and a pig.

I recently 'dined' there and ordered a Pad Thai. The bleeper thing went off after a few minutes wait, and up I went to the counter and collected my dish. Yep, a Pad Thai, or was it an attempt at a deconstructed Pad Thai? With the peanuts, bean sprouts and chilli in garnish dishes to the side of a pile of noodles I wasn't too sure. Taste wise, it was an unappealing combination of sweet and bland. No amount of zealous garnishing appeared to help.

Essentially, it's below average Thai, at exorbitant prices. All style, no substance, best to be avoided.

Jul 26, 2012

Fleur Depot de Pain, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, French, Hip and Trendy, Has Cafe, Licensed

Overall 6.4  2

Good space, delivers well on the French Patisserie theme. Food and coffee is good, albeit expensive. Can be difficult to get a table in the morning, service in general, and the take-away coffee queue can be a drag if you're in a hurry.

Jul 18, 2012

Classico, South Yarra

Restaurants, Italian

Overall 6.5  2

What do you get when you dine at an Italian restaurant in a popular 5-star hotel? A restaurant catering to everyone, offending no-one, consistently 'good' food, and prices slightly ahead of the relative norm.

Caprese salad good and fresh, but small and expensive. Likewise for the pasta and pizza dishes.

A notable downside would be the cramped table arrangements, and their 'shop front' vibe.

Highlights were the special dishes, that were considerably more expensive, and their impressive beverage list, including local and international wines, and some divine unique cocktails.

Not bad, not great, just good.

Jul 18, 2012

St James Trust Building, 185 Elizabeth St, Sydney CBD, Sydney

218 Photo of Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay, The

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Seafood, Family Dining, Fine Dining
    Ferry Rd, Glebe, Sydney
    The Boathouse is globally known to dish out the finest in Australian seafood. It serves Sydney’s bes… more

» Sydney CBD 8.3 est.
    240 Photo of est.

Restaurants, European, Modern Australian, Fine Dining, Romantic and Intimate
    Establishment Hotel, 252 George St, Sydney CBD, Sydney
    Est. Head Chef, Peter Doyle, is widely regarded as a founding father of modern Australian cuisine. W… more

» Pyrmont 7.1 Flying Fish
    333 Photo of Flying Fish

$$$

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Seafood, Vegetarian, Family Dining
    Pier 21, Jones Bay Wharf, 19-21 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont, Sydney
    Flying Fish Restaurant & Bar is a Modern Australian restaurant in Pyrmont. Encircled by spectacu… more

» Sydney CBD 7.9 Guillaume At Bennelong
    205 Photo of Guillaume At Bennelong

Restaurants, French, Modern Australian, Family Dining, Fine Dining
    Sydney Opera House, Bennelong Point, Sydney CBD, Sydney

» Main Beach 9.1 Il Barocco
    8 Photo of Il Barocco

Restaurants, Italian, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch
    Palazzo Versace, 94 Seaworld Dr, Main Beach, Gold Coast
    Breakfast, lunch or dinner, Il Barocco has something suitable for everyone. Enjoy contemporary and c… more

» Melbourne CBD 6.7 Melbourne Supper Club
    11 Photo of Melbourne Supper Club

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Has Bar, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining
    161 Spring St, Melbourne CBD, Melbourne
    The Melbourne Supper Club is right up there in the list of the city's fantastic bars. The ambience i… more

» Newtown 7.3 Sushi Train

» Melbourne CBD 8.7 Vue de Monde
    87 Photo of Vue de Monde

Restaurants, European, French, Fine Dining, Bistro/Brasserie
    Rialto, 525 Collins St, Melbourne CBD, Melbourne
    Vue de Monde is evidence enough that classical fine dining in an elegant yet modern context is thriv… more