Reviews

Farmhouse Kings Cross, Rushcutters Bay

Restaurants, European, Cater to Special Diets, American Express, Mastercard

Overall 10  1

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Read about Farmhouse in Vogue Living and booked after some friends raved about it - I wasn't disappointed! It's like a private dinner party hosted by friends who can really, really cook.

Food: The food is a set menu of 4 courses (+1 surprise course) that changes every 3 weeks. It's seasonal, uncomplicated and definitely filling. It was refreshing to be served complete meals with sides and there wasn't any tiny plates with foam or smears that represent a course that you need a teaspoon to eat. You're generally served a large plate to share (except for the desserts).

#1: We started with a plate of fresh bread (Pane di Lariano), prosciutto, garlic aioli and pickles. I pretty much could've been done just eating this.

#2: Chicken, corn, spinach, blackened onion - The boys have one dish each (#2 was Tristan's and #4 was Mike's) and the rest are done together. This was just beautiful. The skin was seasoned to perfection and the pureed spinach and blackened onion complemented it well. Some diners remarked on the amount of salt and garlic, but to me, this is seasoning. Definitely a highlight!

#3 - Roast pork, mash, apple, fennel, crackling - I was pretty much full by #2 but this dish arrived and it was a huge. A plate full of roast pork, carrots and mash and sides of fennel and dill (?!?) and an incredible chunky apple sauce. One of the best roasts I've ever had, especially the potatoes.

#4 - Salted caramel popcorn with Strawberries, vanilla & Champagne granita - This was Mike's dish and it was incredible. The salted caramel helped add texture and contrast the flavours. A very sophisticated dish.

#5 (not on the menu, and no photo as I ate it too quickly, but it does exist!) - Coconut cake with cream, macadamias and lime syrup (not too sure on the wording of this as it's not on the menu). Most people had this as take away but my friend and I found room. The cake was very moist and the cream went well. My only wish is that this came with tea/coffee (I didn't ask, but I didn't see it on the menu).

Atmosphere: The restaurant is petite, but well designed. I wasn't sure how we'd get in/out of the communal table, but the table tops come off for easy access. They make great use of space and I didn't feel crowded. Communal dining wasn't a problem either and we had a great neighbours either side. They have great attention to detail and the cutlery and glassware were beautiful.

Service: Our host Sophy was lovely, the service is very polished and seamless, glasses are filled and plates are taken away without even noticing. She was amazing! Tristan and Mike were also helpful in explaining the dishes.

Value: Surprisingly good. $55 for 4 courses is great value for food this good, let alone the surprise cake. The wines start from $11 a glass, the list is small but well thought out. We spent $125 for 2 + tip and left absolutely stuffed and with take away.

Overall: Delicious food and crazy good value ($55 for 4 courses + surprise extra cake), great music and polished service. Would definitely go back here regularly.

Tip: Dine on a Sunday if you want to take your time. They do double sittings except for Sundays and if you dine for Sunday lunch or Sunday dinner you can take your time as there is no one booked after (website says they do two sittings for Sunday dinners but we stayed until 9pm so best to check this).

Leftovers - My friend and I weren't able to finish everything and they happily offered take away for the left overs so we didn't waste the food and could share with our friends who missed out.

Sep 24, 2013

Bocados Spanish Kitchen, Newcastle CBD

Restaurants, Spanish, BYO, Licensed, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.9  9

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Visited Bocados for lunch and was surprised how busy it was for a Wednesday lunch and the crowd was a real mix - Business men and tourists, young and old. It was really difficult to choose out of the menu and the specials, but we settled on breads, chorizo, fried potato, empanadas and Portuguese tarts.

The portion size seemed a little on the small side, but by the end we were stuffed. Everything was good, but the empanadas were a real highlight, the lamb melted in your mouth and the pastry was soft and sweet. My only regret is not saving room for the paella or the pork belly!

The service was fast and friendly and not too intrusive. They were there when we needed and the water was constantly topped up (always a good sign!).

At $50 for two I found Bocados great value and can't wait to return!

Pros - Authentic Spanish food, fresh and friendly service
Cons - I wish I ordered more dishes

Dec 13, 2012

Restaurants, International, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Ample or Convenient Parking

Overall 8.6  3

What a pleasant surprise! I come to the Hunter regularly for work and decided to venture out of Pokolbin for once. 221 is great value, Fresh and gourmet without the price tag. The dips tasting plate was divine,k House made baba ghanoush, hummus and olive/tomato with toasted garlic/olivey ciabatta and Turkish bread. The serving was enormous and I barely finished my main of crumbed fish fillet with hand cut chips with rock salt (Amazing), house-made tomato sauce and green beans.

I had a looooooong lunch and the staff were very accommodating, nothing was too much trouble and the service was friendly and polished.

Will definitely return!

Pros - Affordable, quality produce, good service and plenty of parking
Cons - Not in Pokolbin (this can be a plus as it's cheaper!) and a little quiet.

Nov 08, 2012

Restaurants, Chinese

Overall 6.9  36

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Just moved to the area and every time I drive past this place it is busy. Had a family lunch here today and discovered why it's so busy - The food is fast, fresh, authentic and very affordable. My sister brought her newborn baby and pram and the staff were very accommodating. Will definitely return!

Nov 04, 2012

Restaurant Mason, Newcastle CBD

Restaurants, European, French, Modern Australian, Hip and Trendy

Overall 8.3  12

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Cafe Mason - Popped into Cafe Mason and what a pleasant surprise! The food is made fresh and very affordable ($8 for gourmet sandwich from a hatted restaurant!). Tasted so nice I got a few pastries take away, it was hard to choose but the chocolate raspberry tart was incredible and the bacon/egg sausage roll was the best sausage roll I have ever had. Restaurant menu looks good, I recommended it to friends and hope to be back soon.

Nov 01, 2012

Bocados Spanish Kitchen, Newcastle CBD

Restaurants, Spanish, BYO, Licensed, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.9  9

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

At $50 for two I found Bocados great value and can't wait to return!

Pros - Authentic Spanish food, fresh and friendly service

Nov 01, 2012

Ashley’s Restaurant, North Gosford

Restaurants, Italian, Modern Australian, BYO, Licensed

Overall 8  5

Popped in for lunch and was surprised at the value - $12 for a large chicken burger with avocado and pesto, chips and garden salad is a bargain. Reserved parking is another reason to make Ashley's a winner. The owners are very nice and I will definitely return!

Oct 17, 2012

Yume Sushi, North Strathfield

Restaurants, Japanese, Sushi, Serves Takeaway, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 8.1  9

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful

Super fresh food. Authentic Japanese food and very affordable. Will definitely return!

Response from Management:
Thank you - it is heartening to receive such a positive response to our new restaurant. We have only been open for about a month but are already overwhelmed by the kindness of our North Strathfield customers. For a different atmosphere with the same delicious food why not try our 'mother-restaurant' in drummoyne?!

Oct 12, 2012

Gigi's Restaurant & Bar, Wollongong CBD

Restaurants, Italian, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 7.4  15

This is my go to place for lunch when in Wollongong. The service is prompt and the food is fresh. Wollongong has an abundance of seafood restaurants, but home-made pasta is a little trickier to find. After a few visits here I just stick to the specials and they haven't failed me yet.

The staff are very friendly and prompt, they are pretty good at reading people and know when to chat and know when to give you space. The restaurant gets busy but their service doesn't falter. I normally come for business or as a solo diner but Gigi's seems popular for groups.

Pros: Well priced - Many mains under $25 and affordable breakfast, outdoor seating.

Cons: Parking is very difficult in Wollongong, might have to walk a couple of blocks, can get loud on a Saturday night with groups.

Risotto of the day

Oct 11, 2012

Iyara Thai Restaurant, Gladesville

Restaurants, Asian, Thai, Family Dining, BYO

Overall 7.3  26

Popped in for take away, the food is fast, fresh and authentic. The duck salad was a pleasant surprise, the salad was more like a gourmet salad with fresh herbs rather than the usual garnish. The prawn pad thai was also delicious and had huge king prawns. Restaurant looked nice so will try dining in next time.

Plenty of parking is another plus!

Sep 28, 2012

Restaurants, American Express

Overall 7.5  19

Great quality food, especially the Wagyu. Service was very friendly will definitely return to try the buffet!

Jul 09, 2012