Reviews

Kedai Satay, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Asian, Indonesian, Hip and Trendy, Romantic and Intimate

Overall 6.5  5

Went here on business trip last month. Tried the Nasi Uduk Komplit (Coconut Rice Complete package) and Soto Jakarta.

The Nasi Uduk need a bit more flavour and aroma, the combination is a bit strange, which comes with Grilled chicken, plain boiled egg, fried potato and peanut and... Mee Goreng! The soto jakarta taste similar to one of the one you can made using pre-made seasoning powder, but still taste good.

Anyway, the ambience is nice (but a bit confusing cause you have to order on the counter even if you seat on the 2nd floor), but the waitress are nice though. She's friendly and helpful with the menu.

May 07, 2012

Mamak, Haymarket

Restaurants, Malaysian, BYO, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining

Overall 7.2  292

Waiting in line for 30 minutes, check. Seated and asked to order within the first 5 minutes, check. Food comes out after 2-3 minutes, check.

Ok, it seems that my first two sentences are reporting Mamak's negative marks and the third is for their positive mark. But No! All three above are their negative marks.

Queuing for a while and then got asked to order quickly has never left me a good feeling. And then we order some dishes (kangkung, fried chicken, satay chicken) and they all came out after just 2-3 minutes. Even the grilled satay! This actually makes me wonder. Are all the food pre-made and just need to reheat? There are 3-4 tables that got seated 10-15 minutes before us (we've chat with this other table on the queue), order just when we sat down and got their food around the same time after they ordered (2-3 minutes).

Well, for the price they listed, pre-made or frozen food is not good enough! Taste, it was ok for pre-made food, but you can taste that the meat was frozen (especially the satay chicken). Service is really quick (from "asking" our order to "cleaning" our table after we just finish eating) until you try to call the waiter to get some water.

Overall, we are impressed by how this restaurant manage to get the long queue every day. But no, we will not come back to this one. Maybe try the Chatswood branch one day, but certainly not to this one.

Apr 17, 2012

Cake Shops and Patisseries, French, Family Dining, Good For Groups, Hip and Trendy

Overall 6.4  26

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

We bought a decorated chocolate fondant cake for my bday and some macaroons... The cake was basically just chocolate... not liquid chocolate like on normal fondant, it just big block of chocolate that too rich for anyone... Even for a chocolate lover like me!
The macaroons was terrible! Out of a dozen that we bought, only 2 that I like. The rest is too goey, too swet or too oily! And when we asked the staff member which one is a good one, the replied was "All of them is good, just pick some because we are busy." What kind of attitude is that?

I fell in love with Zumbo's patisseries since watching his magic on Masterchef, but never realise that his store and quality is at this low level.

Mar 05, 2012

Pancakes On The Rocks, Sydney CBD

Restaurants, American, Child Friendly Menus, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.4  48

Always come here if we want some great pork ribs! Not really a fans of other food (even their pancakes) since I always order a whole ribs for myself.

The ambience in their shop at DH is good, but service is a let down. At one time I tried their Pizza but it never came. Called the waiter that took our order and he said we didn't order it. Called another waitress, she said it will come soon. Then 2 minutes later, the senior staff come and said that they burnt the pizza so they have to make another one and will come out in 15 minutes. So which one is lying?

Anyway, this experience will never stop me from coming back, just for the ribs!

It's Time for Thai, Kingsford

Restaurants, Thai, Serves Takeaway, Menulog Delivery and Pickup, No Cards Accepted

Overall 6.5  12

Food was ok, a bit tasteless. Pad thai is a big let down, very tasteless, but curry is ok. The place is 100% halal, you can't even BYO here (a big let down after we purchase an expensive bottle of wine to celebrate my mate's bday).

The service is a bit slow, they give the other table (who came after our table) eventhough the order is the same. Decoration is on the good side, but if you can only go there for casual eating, why bothered with a good decorations (you can't do fine dining here because you can't even drink alcohol).

All in all, its an ok place to eat Thai food (not 100% Thai, a bit mix of Thai and Malay for us) but I would recommend this restaurant only for casual dining and students.

More Reviews...

Mar 05, 2012

Pancakes On The Rocks, Sydney CBD

Restaurants, American, Child Friendly Menus, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.4  48

Anyway, this experience will never stop me from coming back, just for the ribs!

It's Time for Thai, Kingsford

Overall 6.5  12

Restaurants, Japanese, Serves Takeaway, Restaurant Bookings, Gluten Free

Overall 7  2

Food was ok, nothing special. It's on the expensive side though, since I've ordered a Tempura "lunch special" (one prawn, then 4 other veggie pieces) for $15.

The ambience is nice, but they only have 1 waiter. So when he has to serve 3 tables at the same time, one of them (luckily not my table) will get ignored.
Overall, its a nice little restaurant, but I'm not planning to eat there again anytime soon.

Sep 27, 2011

Restaurants, Japanese, Korean

Overall 6.5  19

Eat here with friends after work and order some usual Korean food (yes, this is a Korean restaurant NOT Japanese - as the owner, chef, waiters are all Korean).
I order bibimbab which is a bit plain and tasteless for me compare to other bibimbab I've eat. My friend order the bulgogi with rice, but somehow they serve her the bulgogi bento (which is more expensive). Same goes for another friend who asked if they have the Chili chicken with rice but not the bento one, and they say they do have but still give him the bento one. So we end up paying more than what we want/asked. On the good side, the place is nice and the food was not that bad. But it just didn't match the price.

Dec 21, 2010

Restaurants, Mexican / Latin American, Vegetarian, Family Dining, Hip and Trendy

Overall 6.9  19

Great food, price is not too bad as well. Good place to get takeaway and eat somewhere else. Not really liking the ambience there coz it could be too noisy at a time.

Oct 22, 2010

Indo Rasa, Kingsford

Restaurants, Indonesian, Family Dining, Child Friendly, Halal

Overall 7  36

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful

Just went there few weekend back with a couple of friends. The experience we have is great. The food was great and the price was not bad. $11 for yellow rice + 4 dishes sure can make me full. Service was good and doesn't need to wait long for the food.

The drawback? Might need some lunch menu or today special to attract more people to come. But overall, we love this place and will recommend it to everyone. We will also come back in the future.

Oct 18, 2010