Reviews

GoodTime Burgers, Bondi Junction

Restaurants, Burger, Good for Brunch, Serves Lunch, Serves Takeaway

Overall 7.6  3

We had a pleasant, casual meal here on a Thursday eve ahead of a movie at the Event Cinemas upstairs. We ordered two burgers, a salad, and a portion of chips. That cost us a modest $27 with our Ent Book voucher, which offers one free burger with every one bought. We were also lucky enough to arrive during happy hour, so all drinks were $4. I treated myself to a schooner of Carlton Draught and my wife had a glass of sparkling white wine. So that added $8 to the bill, all up $35 for the meals and the drinks. Can’t complain about that in Bondi Junction.

I ordered the “Good Ol’ Time” burger, which was solid value at $10, although that’s all you get: a beef pattie with tomato, chutney, lettuce, onion and aioli. Fairly basic and served on a simple plastic plate, but neatly constructed on a fresh, crispy bun and a perfect size for me. My wife ordered an interesting take on the traditional burger: one with no bun. The meat was tender and flavoursome and accompanied by all the usual burger add-ons except that they’re on the plate beside the meat rather than in a bun. To complement the meat we ordered a couscous salad ($12) and a serve of chips ($5). The salad was generous and the plate filled with nutritious ingredients including couscous and roasted pumpkins. The chips were crunchy and delicious. All up, we enjoyed our meals.

Ambience reminds me of an American-style diner, with a bar counter in the middle. There are no carpets or other noise absorbers, and with TV screens blaring and music being played at high volume it can be a hellishly noisy on a busy night. Luckily for us, on a quiet Thursday eve, the place was only about half full so we had no trouble in conversing.

The drill is that you front up to the bar counter (same place where you get your drinks), and a pretty waitress in a skimpy outfit will take your order and your money and give you a number to plonk on your table. Shortly thereafter, the meals will be delivered by another friendly young waitress in a skimpy uniform. Uniforms aside, we found all the staff to be friendly, polite and efficient.

Toilets are conveniently located in the middle of the restaurant. They’re well stocked but in need of more regular cleaning. The menu is large and easy to read, but the online one only has some of the choices, but not all.

You’ll find Goodtime Burgers on Oxford Street, Bondi Junction with direct access from the Westfield Shopping Centre via the ground level near the Woolworths.

Overall, we found this a convenient place to have a quick bite before the movies and were satisfied with the meals and the service. Prices are modest, especially with an Ent Book voucher and $4 a drink during happy hour is a steal. I’m sure we’ll be back even without a voucher.

Nov 17, 2014

Bazaar Beer Cafe, St Leonards

Restaurants, Belgian, European, Modern Australian, Family Dining

Overall 7.4  95

Booking

We took the precaution of booking ahead for a Sunday night, but it wasn’t necessary. In fact, when we arrived, there were few drinkers outside but no-one inside dining, so we were the first. Fortunately though, it did fill up as the evening went on but was never more than half full at its peak. We asked the waitress about this, she told us it was hard to predict, but that Saturday night is usually quite full.

The fare is traditional Eastern European, with a strong emphasis on schnitzels and other meaty offerings. Plus, as the name suggests a varied selection of European craft beers. I started off with a half-litre of a classical dark Czech brew called “Cernovar Dark Lager” ($9). It had a delicious, fruity caramel flavour and, helped by my dining companions, we downed that in double quick time. For starters, we shared a serve of mushroom arancini ($12) with saffron aioli sauce. What a perfect way to start the meal, with a soft, tantalising treat. For my main, I played it safe and choose the Vienna schnitzel ($24), with parsley, mash and steamed vegetables. The schnitzel was carefully prepared with the batter held firmly in place and no loose bits, which I hate. The meat was tender and flavoursome and the creamy mash and soft vegetables were just the right accompaniment to an outstanding dish. My friends had the pork belly ($24) and the salmon fillet ($25) and both were suitably impressed with their meals. For desserts, we choose the strudel ($10). Served with a dollop of fresh vanilla ice cream and with one half of the concoction smothered in chocolate, it was sweet, soft and delightful. Serving sizes were just right, we didn’t overeat and neither did we leave hungry.

When we first arrived, our hearts dropped because the place looked like a beer hall from the 1980s; Spartan and a bit soulless with wooden benches or tables, tiled floors and little in the way of decoration or interior design to brighten it up. But I must confess that it grew on us as the evening went on and I ended up quite liking the unpretentious and homely atmosphere that this kind of interior engenders. Sure, it’s nothing flash, but it’s inviting and relaxing in its own way. And once a few more diners arrived to liven things up a bit, we couldn’t have been happier!

Our smiling, cheery waitress was polite, efficient and helpful. I hope that everyone who goes to the Beer Cafe gets served by this lady because she really made our experience a pleasant and happy one. Dishes came out promptly and in the correct order, there was no long wait for the meals and she helped us choose the best beer on the menu.

Prices here are at the lower end of the range, and our Ent Book voucher (one free main meal up to $35 in value) kept the bill to a modest $85. That got us one small and one large Cernovar lager, three main meals, a starter and a dessert.

Comfort

Being a fairly quiet night, we had no trouble conversing. I imagine though, that with no sound absorbers, this could be a noisy venue if it got full with a few beer swilling rowdies. Toilets are clean and easy to find and the menu is clearly well laid out and simple to follow. Tables are a little cramped though, and given the amount of space that they have, there is room for larger ones. Overall though we were quite comfy and warm inside even though it was a chilly spring evening.

Location and Parking

You’ll find the Beer Cafe on Albany Street, not far from the corner of Pacific Highway. There’s plenty of parking on the other side of Willoughby Road, and, having lost our bearings anyway, we ended up parking underneath the little Crows Nest Shopping Plaza on the corner of Willoughby Rd and Atchison Street, where, it seems, no-one can be bothered charging for parking in the evenings. There’s also the council car park in Holterman Street where you can get a few free hrs but it’s totally free on Sun.

Summary

What a pleasant surprise this place turned out to be, so don’t be put off by the rather bland exterior. The guys who run the show here know what they’re doing. The food is fresh and tasty and there’s an extensive selection of Euro ales. Service is the best and the prices are moderate. We had an enjoyable evening and wouldn’t hesitate to go back – even without our Ent Bk voucher.

Memo

The dual pricing system on some main courses is with or without beer accompaniment. But you can do as we did, and simply choose your own.

Waiting for customers Quiet Sun night View from the table Fruity Czech dark ale Mushroom arancini View from the table Beautiful schnitzel
Tasty salmon Pork Delicious strudel Exterior Interior

Nov 11, 2014

Restaurants, Asian Fusion, Thai, Family Dining, Fine Dining

Overall 7.2  28

Booking

Six of us dined on a Saturday night. We had made a reservation, which was just as well, as there aren’t too many restaurants in his part of the world and this place was about 80% full. I can’t say what the drill is on a weeknight here, but certainly, for Saturday night dining, booking ahead would be the prudent thing to do.

As one would expect from a popular eatery that seems to have a loyal following, everything we ordered was fresh, tasty and prepared with the best quality ingredients. For starters, we chose two serves of fish cakes ($8 for a serve of four pieces), a plate of salt and pepper chilli squid ($12) and two serves of curry puffs ($8 for two large ones). My fish cakes were firm and flavoursome. The curry puffs were larger than the ones one usually gets at Thai restaurants. The pastry outer was warm and crispy with a soft and appetising vegetarian filling. The perfect way to start the meal. For my main I choose the wagyu beef, Crying Tiger-style ($19). The meat was finely sliced in thin strips. It was perfectly cooked just the way I like it, but the meat remained tender. An excellent dish that would have been even better with a sprinkling of vegetables. My friend’s Massaman curry ($19) was a winner, the warm, succulent lamb drenched in a tangy curry sauce. Serving sizes were adequate and everything was presented to the table in stylish white crockery. The only disappointment was my wife’s mixed seafood platter at a rather hefty $25. The seafood was a tad dry and tasteless and the serving size was too small for that price.

As mentioned, on the night we dined, the place was pretty packed with quite a few parties and family gatherings. So while it was humming with activity, it never got overly rowdy or loud, as so often happens when one is unlucky to encounter a bunch of large groups dining. The décor is fairly Spartan with concrete floors and wooden chairs and tables. Hard to see it all anyway in the dim lighting. Still, we all enjoyed the ambience which was lively and energetic.

When we arrived, our booked table was ready and waiting, in an ideal spot in the centre of the restaurant. Despite the crowds, the staff seemed well trained to be able to deal with the situation and they were all helpful, patient and polite. And best of all, there was no long wait for the meals. Everything came out promptly and in the correct order. And when my wife expressed dissatisfaction to the maître d’ about her seafood platter, he handled the situation diplomatically by offering to reduce the price by half. That was a generous touch I thought.

After the 50% discount on the seafood platter, we ended up paying $220 for the three shared starters, six mains, jasmine rice all round, a single crown lager, a bottle of Crowded House Sauvignon Blanc ($32) and corkage for the first bottle, which we brought ourselves. So with the tip that took it up to $40 a head. Fair value we all thought.

Comfort

While it does get noisy, we were still able to converse, because the tables are well spaced out and everyone seemed well behaved. Most of the diners in any event were the quieter suburban types. The furniture was a bit rickety but the chairs had soft cushions which made them rather comfy, but being semi-circular at the back, our jackets and coats, kept slipping off and onto the floor. There didn’t seem anywhere else to put them. Toilets are signposted, and being right in the middle of the restaurant, easy to find. They were clean and tidy except lacked hand towels. Menu is clearly laid out and simple to read, except I did struggle a bit in the dim lighting.

Location and Parking

The restaurant is located in a small complex on New Line Rd which includes a function centre, so there’s plenty of free parking.

Summary

Overall, we enjoyed our evening here and everything went off smoothly. Service was professional and efficient and the food was of the best quality. The ambience was pleasant, fun and lively, and parking was easy.

Memo

Book for Saturday night dining and drive right into the parking area, after turning off New Line Road.

Happy diners Interior Chilli squid Curry puffs Veg plate Massaman lamb curry Chicken and veg
Crying Tiger wagyu beef

Nov 02, 2014

Restaurants, Steak House, Has Bar, Licensed, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.9  253

Booking

This must be one of the busiest restaurants in Bondi, so booking any night of the week is essential, especially on a weekend. We dined on a Sunday night and unfortunately, left our booking till the last minute so were only able to get a table for 8.30pm. Arriving about 30 min early we sat at the bar and whiled away the time drinking beer and snacking on calamari.

As one would expect from a restaurant that’s been this popular for so long, the food is fresh, tasty and prepared with the best quality ingredients. The fare is traditional steakhouse style with a few vegetarian and seafood choices thrown in, but its meat that’s the main staple here. Four of us dined, and for starters we shared a rocket and Parmigiano salad. It was neatly presented with loads of nutritious ingredients, but at $20, quite pricey. For our mains, we played it safe by going for the basic sirloin steaks, at $30 a pop, (that’s with the 10% Sundays and pub hol surcharge.) These steaks are described as being for the “not-so-hungry” and they fit that description perfectly. They’re pretty small and with a meagre helping of chips, so in terms of value for money, you could do better at the local pub. But my steak was well cooked just the way I like it and the chips were crisp and crunchy, the perfect accompaniment to the meat. We ended up with what was supposed to be a sticky date pud ($16), but it looked and tasted more like mousse. Overall though, no-one can quibble about the quality of the offerings, although servings are too small to make for a satisfying and filling meal. Why people queue up to eat here at those prices is a mystery to me.

As it’s always full, the ambience is busy, lively and energetic. Décor is fairly Spartan with plain furniture and concrete floors but as every square metre is filled with human bodies you’ll hardly notice that. There’s a bar counter at the entrance where you can buy a drink and nibbles while you wait for your table. The kitchen is glassed off on the far side but visible from inside the restaurant and the whole place is a blur of movement, action and activity! There’s outdoor seating too for those warm summer evenings.

Clearly, staff have been adequately trained to deal with the crowds, because they all do their jobs in a calm, professional and efficient manner. They’re neatly turned out in smart black uniforms and they also know the menu well, so they are easily able to field any questions about the food. Our table waiter was particularly friendly, helpful and patient. And there’s no long wait for the meals either. We didn’t even have a chance to finish the starter before the mains were on the table and all that within less than 15 minutes of ordering.

Fortunately we had our Ent Book card, which gives you a 25% discount up to $55 (that must be one of the most generous offers in the book). So, excluding drinks and a plate of calamari (which we purchased separately at the bar while waiting for our table), we paid $122 for the single salad, four mains including one veg platter and a dessert. Just remember to show your card at the bar counter if you order anything there before your meal. We forgot to, so we missed out on a $7 discount. Also bear in mind that the hated – and unnecessary – 10% surcharge is imposed on Sundays and pub hols, although you’d be hard pressed to find that in tiny print on the online menu.

Comfort

Despite the fact that the place is busy and the tables packed closely together, the noise absorbers on the walls work effectively to enable you to converse without too much problem. Toilets are well signposted and adequately supplied although no attempt is made to clean them during the evening so by about 9.30pm they’re in a pretty dirty state. The lighting is strong so it’s easy to read the clearly designed menu.

Location and Parking

This is another negative to prevent us from rushing back in a hurry. Parking is a nightmare at this location at the bottom of Roscoe Street, near the intersection with Campbell Parade. We eventually found a metered spot on Gould Street but had to pay for the privilege, even on a Sunday night.

Summary

A solid restaurant that runs like a well-oiled machine. However it’s too expensive without your Ent Book card and definitely to be avoided on a Sunday night or a pub hol unless you’re prepared to pay the surcharge. Probably best to come here on a weeknight anyway as Fri or Sat night would be too busy.

Book well in advance.

Oct 23, 2014

Willoughby Hotel, Willoughby North

Pubs, Modern Australian, Family Dining, Air Conditioning, Bistro/Brasserie

Overall 6.3  12

Food  6      Drinks  8      Ambience  5      Service  5      Value  5

We had a less than satisfactory dinner at the Willoughby Hotel on Penshurst on Father’s Day Sept 2014. I guess because it was Father’s Day or, by this time, Father’s Day Night, the place was packed. Plenty of large family groups which made it noisy and chaotic, never something I enjoy.

The venue itself is pub-style, but it’s quite bland and with nothing to separate the bistro part from the drinking part. So, for those unfamiliar with it, that just added to the sense of confusion: where do you order? Where do you collect the meals? Eventually we figured it all out and ordered three main meals and a starter at the bar counter. Our Ent Bk voucher offers one free main meal with every one bought, but the lady who took our order insisted that we should only get the cheapest part of the order for free. That would have meant the dips plate starter at $16 as the freebie, rather than the steak at $34, and would have added $18 to the bill. The docket clearly states that you are entitled to one free main meal. After some to-ing and fro-ing the ordering lady relented. So that didn’t exactly get things off to a flying start.

So to the food. For our mains we choose three eye fillets which at $34 was too expensive for a smallish piece of meat accompanied by chips and salad or mash and veg. It all tasted fine though and my steak was well cooked just the way I like it. A solid dish but nothing extraordinary to warrant the steep price tag. The dips plate starter was fairly generous with plenty of bread and a few dips but having to eat that with the mains spoiled the experience.

Service, such as it is, (you order and pay at the bar and collect your meals from the food hatch) was slow and I found it quite tedious sitting and waiting about 20 minutes for our little buzzer to go off. Then of course, everything is ready at the same time: mains and starters, something else I don’t particularly like.

Being a hotel at least the toilets were easy to find, clean and well stocked and the carpeted interior kept us warm on a chilly night. But noise levels were way too high and the whole atmosphere was too hectic to allow us to enjoy our meals in a calm unhurried and relaxed ambience which is what we always yearn for.

On the positive side, we managed to find easy parking right outside the venue and once inside, our booked table was ready for us with a neat little sign with my name on it! I don’t think we’ll be rushing back here, certainly not without next year’s voucher.

Busy bar counter Welcome sign Happy diner Busy bar counter Steak and mash Dips plate Steak and chips

Sep 16, 2014

My birthday is on 4th Nov 1956

My home town is Syd

They say I'm Fussy

Apart from eating, I read

You'll often catch me at home

I crave peanuts

My favourite cuisine is Indian

My favourite drink is Foaming amber ale

Last updated on 25th Sep 2011

Bay Hong, Darlinghurst

Restaurants, Vietnamese, Hip and Trendy, Romantic and Intimate, Has Bar

Overall 7.4  80

Booking

We took the precaution of booking ahead for a Sat night but it wasn’t necessary. Perhaps it was because of the rainy weather, but when we arrived at 7.30pm, the place was only about half full. It did fill up though as the evening went on but it seemed by mostly off-the-street diners. I can’t imagine this place getting too full during the week, but as it only holds about 50 diners, I guess booking for a weekend may be the prudent thing to do to make sure you get a table.

Four of dined and all agreed that the fare was outstanding without exception, although serving sizes, especially entrees and desserts, were on the small side. The food is Vietnamese, everything home cooked, fresh and tasty and clearly prepared with love and attention to detail. We started with four entrees, two serves of fish cakes, one each of rice cakes and dumplings. The fish cakes were button-sized, yes, delicious but really just one mouthful each. In fact, I’ve never seen such small fish cakes. For mains I choose the lemongrass chicken with chilli and what a winner that was. The chicken was tender and succulent and I just loved that spicy lemongrass flavour and the crunchy vegetables that accompanied it. Two of our dining companions had vegetarian dishes and the fourth member of our party had a beef osso buco. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We finished off with a shared dessert medley of ice cream, crème caramel and black sticky rice pud. And here again, although it was a deliciously sweet and creamy offering, the whole concoction meant for four people was really only a single serve size.

The décor is fairly bland and old fashioned with white walls and plain wooden furniture. The high ceilings create a slightly clinical atmosphere and it did lack warmth and cosiness. Perhaps the fact that it was only about half full and a wet and windy midwinter night to boot, exacerbated that feeling of dreariness. Still, I did find the ambience to be quiet, unhurried and relaxing.

It's a long time since we've enjoyed such friendly, helpful and polite service. We were looked after by Clayton and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he took care of our every need. My only complaint was that after the entrees, the main courses arrived one at a time. First the beef dish which our friend promptly finished before the other dishes had even made their appearance. We did mention this to Clayton who explained the delay by telling us that we thought we were sharing each dish. Not sure about that, it was a bit disappointing to be let down in that department but I guess next time we should just ask them to bring all mains out at once! He was very apologetic and brought out the dessert quick smart.

Comfort

Toilets are clean, well-marked and easy to find. We were quite comfortable in our large table which was easily able to fit all the dishes. The paucity of other diners meant that sound quality was acceptable but I guess it could get noisy on a busy night. My main complaint though was the rather tatty state of the menu, with pages stuck together and the poor lighting which made it hard to read.

We paid $146 for four of us and that included corkage, a single beer, four entrees, four mains, rice all round and a single shared dessert. Given the small helpings I was slightly surprised by that higher than expected price tag.

Location and Parking

You’ll find B.H. on busy Crown Street not far from the corner of Oxford Street. Parking in this part of the world is problematic, so we always take the bus and get off at Taylor Square from where it’s a short but interesting walk into Crown Street.

Summary

We had an enjoyable evening here, marred only by the fact that main courses came out one at a time! Still I think we’ll be back to enjoy that delicious, authentic and home-cooked food.

Aug 23, 2014

Bistro Avoca, Randwick

Restaurants, Modern Australian, BYO, Licensed, Serves Dinner

Overall 7.5  29

Booking

This is one popular joint, so booking ahead is essential. Twice we tried to book a table for a Saturday night and both times we were unsuccessful. This time we phoned in on the Mon and managed to secure a table for 8.30pm.

As one would expect from a place that’s so popular, the food is carefully prepared with only the best quality ingredients. For want of a better description, I’d label the cuisine here as “modern Australian”. The menu is small with only a handful of choices but at least it makes ordering easy. You can check it out online and make your selection before you arrive. Four of us dined and we started with two serves of vegetable samosas with dahl puree and mint yoghurt. They had a soft, slightly doughy shell and a warm, flavoursome filling, but at $8 per samosa ($16 for a serve), a tad on the expensive side. For my main course, I went for the beef fillet at $30, which comes with pumpkin puree, dauphinois potato, brocollini and something called “onion jam”. Nothing to complain about here. The meat was presented in two round pieces, well cooked but tender, just the way I like it without being dry or tasteless. The limp brocollini and crunchy potato were the perfect accompaniments while the “onion jam” was an interesting one, slightly sweetish but the ideal way to round off this outstanding dish. My wife had the snapper fillets off the specials board which was a fresh and tasty dish but a stingy serving at $34. Our friends had the lamb and barramundi and were more than happy with their choices. We finished off with a selection of liqueur coffees and hot choc. No-one was game to go for the dessert which was a pity since, judging by the overall quality of everything else, I’m sure they would have been scrumptious!

Congrats to these guys for making the most of the rather small, cramped space to create a stylish yet homely and relaxing ambience. The décor is fairly minimalist with white-washed walls, wooden floors and low hanging lamps. Tables are laid with crisp white napery and shining silver cutlery.

Despite it being a full house, our booked table was ready and waiting when we arrived. And I've never met a friendlier maître d’ than the charming lady who welcomed us to her restaurant as if she was welcoming us into her home. She made sure that we were settled and comfortable before another pretty lady came to take our order. This is an all-female cast and they’re helpful, polite and neatly attired in smart black outfits. The entrees came out quickly enough, but there was a rather long wait of about 25-30 minutes for the main courses.

Comfort

Unfortunately, my chair was constantly being bumped by wait staff as they moved back and forth inside that confined space. I guess part of the problem is having the tables packed so closely together. That makes it a tad noisy too but that’s unavoidable. However, there were no loud diners so we were able to easily converse without too much trouble. The lighting is so weak that we had to use our friend’s torchlight built into his smartphone to be able to read the menu. Luckily for me, I’d read it beforehand on the web, so I pretty much knew what to expect. There’s also a specials board behind the cash register although no-one pointed that out to us. The toilets are unmarked but not hard to find in the small restaurant. There are two of them assumed to be unisex. But full marks to the management because these toilets are so clean, that they sparkle. Even though it was midwinter the place was warm inside though I didn’t spot any heaters.

We came armed with our Ent Book card which offers 25% discount up to a generous max of $40. I’m sorry to say, but this just isn’t the kind of place to come to without a discount deal of some sort. Without it, we would have paid a hefty $180 for a small entrée of four pieces of samosa, four average-sized mains, one liqueur coffee and one hot choc. That’s just too expensive for what we had. Luckily our discount brought that back to $140 or $35 a head which is about the most I would be prepared to pay.

Location and Parking

You'll find B.A. in the heart of the Avoca Street dining strip not far from the intersection with busy Alison Rd. Living locally, we walked, but free parking is available in nearby Frances Street, across the road from the Randwick Town Hall and council chambers

Summary

We had a pleasant eve and everything went smoothly. We'll be back with next year’s discount deal, but not before.

Memo

For weekend dining, be sure to book well ahead of time.

Aug 16, 2014

Patitat Thai, Randwick

Restaurants, Thai, Fine Dining, Good For Groups, Hip and Trendy

Overall 8  15

Booking

This is a small place with seating for maybe 40 guests at the most, so booking on a Fri or Sat night is advisable if you want to secure a table. Other nights of the week, you could probably stroll in and get something without too much trouble.

We were impressed with the food. We started with a dish of mixed entrees (fish cake, spring roll, money bags and curry puff). A smallish serve for $9; just one modest piece of each item but they were tasty and went down well, whetting our appetite for what was to follow; which was the yellow chicken curry (off the specials board) and a vegetarian selection. The chicken was tender and drenched in a spicy coconut sauce. The vegetables were fresh and crunchy, a suitable complement to the chicken. For dessert we went for a black sticky rice pud with ice cream. That was a generous serve and the perfect way to end the meal.

Surprisingly for a small place that doesn’t look like much from the outside, we found the atmosphere inside quite lively. It was pretty much a full house which kept it warm on a chilly eve in mid-winter with not a heater in sight. The tables are neatly arranged down one side of the restaurant with the open-plan kitchen and cash register down the other. The furnishings are fairly minimalist with plain wooden chairs and tables, wooden floor and black charcoal walls. But it all works well to create a casual and relaxing ambience.

Our booked table was ready for us when we arrived. Order were quickly taken and the dishes came out promptly and in the right order. The maître d' was friendly enough although I found the sole waitress a little unsmiling.

Comfort

Two of us dined and I found our table cramped and not easily able to fit all the dishes. Lighting is too dim to allow you to read the menu without squinting. There are no carpets or sound absorbers and the tables are packed close together, so it can get a tad noisy but then it seems that most diners just come for a quick meal. So it isn’t such a problem. The single unisex toilet is at the back, but the sign is visible from inside the restaurant. It’s clean, well-stocked and I loved the panoramic pic of a Thai river market.

We paid $52 for a serve of entrees, two mains, rice, a single shared dessert and corkage. That's outstanding value in these austere times.

Location and Parking

Patitat Thai is on Frenchmans Rd, near the corner of Clovelly Rd, (across the road from Bunnings), amid a cluster of little eateries in an area that never gets too busy. So we found parking right outside on Frenchman’s Rd, where there are no night time restrictions.

Summary

The term “Neighbourhood Gem” aptly describes this cute little place. We had an enjoyable meal here in pleasant surrounds. Parking is easy and the prices are reasonable. We won’t hesitate to come back.

Memo

Don't be put off by its modest exterior. Some may even think it’s just a takeaway joint. Once inside you’ll find it homely and comfortable.

Aug 09, 2014

Al-Madina Restaurant, Castle Hill

Restaurants, Lebanese

Overall 7.4  37

Booking
We dined on a quiet Friday eve in midwinter at Al-Madina Restaurant. And although we had made a booking, it wasn’t necessary. There is an inside and an outside section, but due to the icy weather, there was no one brave enough to dine outdoors even though it’s under cover. Even inside was fairly quiet, with only a handful of other diners. We were told though, that on Sat (when they have belly dancing) it gets busy, so maybe booking on that night might be the prudent thing to do to secure a table.

As there were four of us, we decided to choose the “complete banquets”, at $45 a head, which includes dessert, coffees and corkage. While that might seem a bit expensive–there are other cheaper banquet options at $35 and $40 a head–at least it’s an all-inclusive price with nothing else to pay. (We’ve all had so-called “banquets”, where you still pay extra for things like drinks, desserts, coffees, etc.)
This banquet had all the delicious Lebanese dishes that we love so much including first, pickles, olives, carrots, nuts, hummus and baba ghanouj dips, then fattoush salad and falafel, and finally a variety of marinated meats; shish tawouk (chicken skewers), shish kebab (tender lamb skewers), kafta (fine minced lamb with onion & parsley) with the prawn kebabs carefully placed on type of the pile.
Everything was freshly-prepared and delicious although if I had to choose one standout dish, it would be the shish kebab. The lamb was tender and flavoursome--it was like butter melting in your mouth. The fattoush salad had an original and interesting lemon flavour. Food was brought to the table in stylish white crockery and there was plenty of everything including lashings of our favourite Leb bread--both fried and fresh.
We ended up with a tray of Turkish delights and baklava and washed it all down with bittersweet Lebanese coffee. It was made to perfection in a little silver pot which was left on our table, allowing us to finish it to the last drop.

Ambiance
The décor is fairly simple, but clean-looking with crisp white napery and dark brownish colour tones on the walls. The carpets help to give it a warm and homely atmosphere. Although it was quiet, it was the ideal venue for an intimate birthday celebration.

The maître d’ and his friendly assistant were helpful, efficient and polite. In a nice touch, they shifted us to a larger table in the centre, from our booked table in the corner. On departing, there were handshakes and friendly thank-yous all round. These guys know how to make you feel welcome.

Comfort
Our large table was comfortable and easily able to fit all the dishes. The paucity of other diners meant that noise levels were at the low end of the scale and we were able to enjoy our conversation without any trouble. Toilets are in the courtyard, just outside the restaurant so you’ll need to grab the keys first. They’re clean and well stocked, although having to step outside in that freezing weather was a tad unpleasant. Inside the restaurant though, it was fairly warm even without heating due to the carpets and dark colour tones. No trouble with reading the menu, as we didn’t have to! Another advantage of ordering banquets.

As mentioned, we paid $45 per head, so with a little tip thrown in, we came out at $50 a head. Now that is pretty expensive for a fairly dull place like outer-suburban Castle Hill, with a just few rather empty restaurants in the locale. Not exactly a dining and entertainment hotspot like say King Street, Newtown, Glebe Point Road or Bondi Beach! Still, it was a pleasant eve and everything went smoothly, so no-one complained.

Location and Parking
You’ll find Al-Madina in the little Garden Piazza in Terminus Street. There are ample, free parking in the basement car park. You’ll need to drive slowly into Terminus Street as you come around the corner from Old Northern Road, or you’ll miss the entrance, as we did and then had to drive around again.

Summary
We wouldn’t hesitate to come again, even if the prices are a little steep.

Jul 28, 2014

Banana Palm, Coogee

Overall 7.1  54

Unfortunately, our Saturday evening here was marred by excessive noise, inefficient service and poor lighting. Which was a pity since, Banana Palm works well on other levels, especially the food and everything we ordered was fresh, tasty and prepared with the highest quality ingredients.

The venue itself is elegantly decked out in dark colour tones and it’s conveniently situated across the road from Coogee Beach and around the corner from the Crowne Plaza Hotel. It’s a large, comfortable and airy place and the tables are easily able to fit all the dishes. Even the prices are reasonable at around $22 for a main meal and $15 for a generous serve of entrees. So we ended up paying $150 for five of us and that included two shared entrees, five mains, rice, a single beer, a single dessert and corkage.

The fare here is Vietnamese, similar in style to Thai but without the overly rich and creamy sauces. We started off with two entrées which we shared: vegetarian spring rolls and rice paper rolls. The spring rolls were piping hot with a crispy exterior and a tasty warm veg filling. The cold rice paper rolls were a suitable complement to the hot spring rolls. The beef dishes were beautifully prepared with the meat succulent and tender and accompanied by nutritious and crunchy vegetables. The apple and cinnamon crepe desert was a delight. Meals are brought to the table in stylish white crockery. Portion sizes are average, although they proved to be a bit stingy with the rice: only one small bowl for five people.

So overall, everyone was happy with the food but unfortunately, it’s a hellishly noisy place especially on a Saturday night when it’s likely to be full. The wooden floors with no carpets or other noise absorbers are a sound engineer’s nightmare. And service was a bit of a disaster. We ended up waiting almost three quarters of an hour for the first entrees. After that, things sped up a bit but by that time, most of us had lost patience and tempers were starting to fray.

It was all made worse by the fact that they mixed up some of the dishes and one of us had to wait an extra 15 minutes for her meal to finally be brought out – after everyone else had finished. I found the wait staff on the whole to be not only inefficient, but unhelpful and rather dour. And the poor lighting and small font size made the menu almost impossible to read. Toilets are unmarked but when you do locate them, you will find them clean and well stocked

Parking can be a bit of a headache but we were lucky to find something on nearby Waltham Street. I can’t see ourselves returning here in a hurry, despite the high quality of the food and the pleasant location. My suggestion to these guys is to carpet the place, upgrade the waitering skills, improve the lighting and increase the size of the menu. If they did all that, this place would be a winner.

Jul 15, 2014

Created 29 Nov 2014

North Shore
Created 03 Nov 2008
6 listings

» Crows Nest 9.1 At Restaurant (@! Restaurant)
    8 Photo of At Restaurant (@! Restaurant)

$$$

Restaurants, Japanese, Family Dining, Good for Business Dining, Good For Groups
    417 Pacific Hwy, Crows Nest, Sydney
    At Restaurant's head chef was chosen to take part in the opening of NOBU-Bahanmas, and also has expe… more

» McMahons Point 7.2 Blu Ginger

» Coogee 6.7 Cucinella
    15 Photo of Cucinella

Restaurants, Italian, Mediterranean, Modern Australian, Vegetarian
    Shop 209B, Coogee Bay Road, Coogee, Sydney
    On a bustling strip of cafes in a buzzing beachside suburb, it's hard to stand out. But Cucinella, I… more

71 Photo of La Spiaggia Italian Restaurant