Reviews

Kookaburra River Queens, Brisbane CBD

Restaurants, Family Dining, Good For Groups, Romantic and Intimate, Buffet

Overall 6.8  19

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Ok, booked at the last minute and surprised we even managed to get a table. In hindsight we should have gone to a restaurant.

Problem 1: There is no table service for drinks and only two bar staff.

Problem 2: The meal is buffet style and you are called by table number to get your meals 1st helping so being on table 20 it took a while for us to get food.

Problem 3: The food selection was pretty basic, prawns, baby lobsters, crabs three curries and odd lasagne, pork and beef and something laughingly called a salad.

Problem 4: The entertainment, basically a guy who could barely sing Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley and when he wasn't 'singing' he just played music from his laptop. Oh and when he was singing he kept forgetting the words and made them up. I would class him as Karaoke at best and bad Karaoke at that.

Problem 5: The buffet stopped 40 minutes after we started so they could change over to the mediocre dessert. So, it is most definitely not an all you can eat buffet.

Problem 6: The rude wait staff or in particular one female wait person who decided to take all the bread plates even though we had just started dinner despite the fact that I had a bread roll in my hand.

At one point I asked a wait person what time we got back to shore and when she said in 90 minutes my guest asked what a shame he could not jump over board. When I told her why she went and got the supervisor and I explained it all again. The supervisor offered to get us a plate more of food but by that point we were disinterested. We did accept the offer of a free drink.

We returned to my hotel and had dessert in the restaurant and when our waitress asked what we had done this evening all I said was we went on the Kookaburra River Cruise and she replied "Enough said".

Suffice it to say if you want to do something in Brisbane my recommendation is to Never go on the Kookaburra River Cruise as it is over priced and the food is rubbish. Oh and did I happen to mention the drinks were not cold especially the soft drinks.

Update: Tuesday September 20th 2011

This afternoon I received a call from Jim of Kookaburra River Cruises.

Response 1: Table service is not offered on the website but you can request table service from management when booking. Not sure if there is a fee for that so best to ask.

Response 2: They will now trial allowing people to start their meals once they board rather than once they depart the pier thus giving approx 90 minutes for the buffet.

So, now that you have read the reviews you can make up your own minds.

Response from Management:
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry that your experience on board the Kookaburra River Queens did not meet with you expectations of what we offer.

The Kookaburra River Queens have always offered our buffet style menu for lunch and dinner. Whilst we do recognise that a buffet is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, it is what we have successfully offered to many happy customers (many of which are repeat) for over 20 years now.

We do provide a wide selection of hot, cold and fresh menu items on our buffet.

As you mention in your review, once you had alerted our staff of your feelings, they did attempt to compensate you.

As you have not made mention to the cruise itself, we do hope that you enjoyed this aspect of your dining experience, as this is the unique feature that the Kookaburra River Queens offers for diners and a point of difference from other dining experiences in Brisbane. The Brisbane river is spectacular at night!

Again we are sorry that your experience was not what you were expecting.

The Kookaburra River Queens team

Sep 17, 2011

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Family Dining, Child Friendly, Licensed

Overall 8.4  93

In our entire state in Leura for a planning weekend Silks Brasserie is by far the best restaurant we have eaten at.

Initially we tried to dine on Saturday but at short notice they were fully booked, good for us because we got in for the Sunday night at 7 pm.

Prior to our arrival we checked their site for a menu and noted that on a Saturday or Sunday night there is a minimum food charge of $50.00 per person. This did surprise us as did the reference to 10% surcharge on public holidays (they need to change that part because you can't charge a % surcharge) but I digress.

I arrived first and was seated in a prime window table. The staff were all attentive and pleasant. We each had an entree and main, and even with our quirks they followed or order exactly. All the meals were well-presented and certainly well worth the price. Total bill for three people including wine came to $240.00 which was not bad for a 'high class' restaurant in Leura.

We would highly recommend you dine at Silks on your next stay in Leura or even Katoomba but I suggest that if you want to dine on a Saturday you book well in advance.

Sep 04, 2011

Cafes, International

Overall 6.5  25

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Where do I start, we arrived and were seated fairly quickly, looked at the menu, prices were quite exorbitant and because of that we were quite shocked that we had to go to the counter to order and pay (there were 5 wait staff), at that price we were quite shocked to find no table service. There were three of us.

Ordered our food and drinks and the waitress seemed quite nice. Went back to our seats and about 10 minutes later a waitress with drinks came to our table only to find they were not ours and she had to go back to the kitchen. She came back out with one drink and the rest followed one at a time. One of the drinks was wrong because we ordered it with cream/ice cream but it was not evident.

Once the third drink was delivered and consumed we waited half an hour before asking a waitress what the ETA of our meals would be only to be told sternly that they only had one chef working (in hospitality why is that the customers problem).

In the mean time whilst waiting for lunch we watched an elderly women with limited mobility ordered two cakes for her and a friend. When the cake was delivered the elderly woman kindly suggested to the wait staff that she had asked for ice cream not cream was told in a stern voice "That is Ice Cream" we felt for the women.

Eventually our meal was served, we eat more quickly than we have ever done before and was quite glad that the experience was over. For the prices they charge they should be ashamed.

It is such a shame that a beautiful village of Leura because of the number of people it attracted and the limited food establishments that people think they can get away with such poor customer service. Avoid at all cost.

Sep 03, 2011

Embers Mezze Bar, Darlinghurst

Restaurants, Lebanese, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7.8  32

Ambience  8      Service  9      Value  9      Drinks  8

A group of us on a regular basis try different cuisines. In the Gay4Play Around the World in 80 Dinners we had a middle eastern theme for August.

I approached Embers about a group booking and met with Stuart who was very attentive. We customised the menu that would be served for us on the night and settled on a group price. On the night I arrived early and was seated, ordered the first bottle of Lebonese White Wine (different but enjoyable).

Whilst waiting for the rest of the group to arrive we were treated to a tasting of a new cocktail they were planning. We gave our feedback and they added what we had suggested. A perfect unnamed cocktail.

Everyone arrived and seated. Drinks ordered and consumed and the food started to arrive. Yes, the main may be small portions but that is the beauty. In all we shared 10 dishes which was plenty for us.

All of the meals were well presented and very tasty. The standout meals for me were the baked egg and sausage and the lamb dumplings. I would highly recommend Embers to anyone wanting to try something different.

Aug 13, 2011

Frangos & Frangos, Daylesford

Restaurants, European, Mediterranean, Modern Australian, Vegetarian

Overall 4.9  8

Why do we go to a restaurant? Well, in my case it was to have a meal with two friends whilst visiting Daylesford. The problem was that we chose Frangos and Frangos on a Sunday. We were seated almost immediately despite it being busy. We did end up having to share a table with four women who were seated and ordered after us.

We ordered basically within five minutes of arrival. The drinks arrived later than I would have thought and in two sets. The four women we shared the table with ordered three of the sharing plates to come one after the other. We ordered main meals only.

The four women had been served, dined and left before we even had a sniff of food. I ask the waitress how long our meals would be as we had been waiting for over 30 minutes and all the people who arrived after us had already had their entrees. I was told another five minutes.

The three meals arrived but without the sides order of chat potatoes. I was told that they would be another minute or two. When the potatoes finally arrived we had basically already finished our meal.

I complained about this and was told the side order of potatoes would be complimentary. Upon paying for the bill the waitress tried to justify the delay which was not relevant.

My recommendation is that if you want bad service a long wait for your meal then Frangos and Frangos is for you. However, if you want great serve and no delays that you really do need to find somewhere else to go in Daylesford.

To the owners of Frangos and Frangos you really do need to take a broom to the staff and get the service going because that is what is bringing you down for the tourists.

Apr 12, 2011

Kookaburra River Queens, Brisbane CBD

Restaurants, Family Dining, Good For Groups, Romantic and Intimate, Buffet

Overall 6.8  19

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Problem 1: There is no table service for drinks and only two bar staff.

Update: Tuesday September 20th 2011

This afternoon I received a call from Jim of Kookaburra River Cruises.

So, now that you have read the reviews you can make up your own minds.

Response from Management:
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your feedback.

We do provide a wide selection of hot, cold and fresh menu items on our buffet.

Again we are sorry that your experience was not what you were expecting.

The Kookaburra River Queens team