Reviews

Local Bar, The, Neutral Bay

Bars

Overall 5.6  4

Drinks  7      Ambience  7      Service  7      Value  7

Wow - accidentally stumbled upon this place walking to the Oaks one night. I seemed to have missed the star power ownership fan fare on this one but then I don't read the local rag too much. I am loving this small bar phenomenon, even more now that it seems to finally penetrating the Lower North Shore. Stopped in for a nibble and a few glasses of vino before heading to that stalwart of Japanese restaurants Kyushu, where there was a big crowd in.

The boys, however, managed to get us on a high table outside on what was a pleasant night where we secured some barstools, glasses of wine and the chorizo small plate to nibble on. Turns out the plate wasn't that small! Service was smooth, patrons were suitably 30+ something suave without being pretentious, it all felt quite right. One more reason to stay living on the LNS as the small bar revolution takes hold.

Restaurants, Bars, International, Modern Australian, Modern European

Overall 7.6  22

Food  7      Drinks  8      Ambience  8      Service  7      Value  7

Finally a classy joint to drink in on the Lower North Shore. With the small bar excitement that's been hitting the city and inner west us poor LNShore'ite's have been missing out, until now. The place has a cool laid back vibe, a good mixed crowd where everyone makes the effort to dress up a bit without going overboard. And when I say mixed you have the cooler hip 20'something crowd happily sharing space with the 50's plus who haven't lost the groove.

Some great signature cocktails, food is good, though there is a bit of difference in serve sizes for the prices, staff are polishing their act and the Maitre D' George keeps things humming with a kiss and a smile for all. Go if you want a more sophisticated experience on the LNS, stay away if you think Hotel Cremorne is a good place to drink.

La Pesa Trattoria, Darlinghurst

Overall 8  61

From the moment we walked through the doors into the charming, dark wood surrounds I knew we were on to a winner. With a warm greeting we were seated and from then on in we just placed ourselves in the capable hands of the husband and wife team who made food suggestions, selected complimentary wine and generously took care of us. It was fabulous.

I had out of town guests who were blown away. Go there if you want a cosy, relaxed, intimate experience that's as warm as home and as polished as the top end of town. I'll be back.

Jul 08, 2011

Takeaways, Mexican / Latin American, Licensed, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7.1  16

It's all about the burritos! And the fact that you can wash it down with a beer. Service is good, super fast and friendly. Burritos are tops! Ambience? well, it's really a takeaway joint so you don't go there for the atmosphere. Just chow down and enjoy.

Restaurants, Nepalese, BYO, Food Delivery, Licensed

Overall 7.9  115

Had a nice easy going meal there one Sunday night. Only my partner and I so just a few dishes. Go there if you like Indian food but are looking for a bit of a twist to it. Food was pleasant enough, I would have preferred some more punch myself. Can't rave about it but it was certainly pleasant enough.

More Reviews...

Overall 7.9  115

Grill'd, Crows Nest

Restaurants, Burger, International, BYO, Child Friendly Menus

Overall 7.2  36

It's a burger joint, not really expecting great service, hence, the 5/10 score. Come here for the great burgers and fries. I had the mustard and pickle'd, my partner the kung fu figher. Fresh, nicely cooked, incredible sauces, all spot on. Personally I loved the fries. Big home style with rosemary and sea salt, yum! Loved the decor, didn't so much love how packed it was but that speaks for how good locals find the food. Yes, it's pricey versus your local Macca's but at the end of the day there is no comparison and there's certainly no big red clowns.

Jun 02, 2011

Noir, Richmond

Restaurants, European, French, Romantic and Intimate, Serves Dinner

Overall 10  5

Blimey - I just had to give this place all 10's! Went with a group of 4 of us and we decided on their tasting plate option as the price was right at $70 a head plus the place is BYO so we were all set. Well, what a brilliant choice it turned out to be. Rather than labour through all 10 Courses suffice to say each one was beautifully prepared, delicately presented and graciously delivered.

The menu is built without pretension yet exciting enough to stretch the palate, duck, scallops, beetroot gnocchi, deconstructed waldorf salad, suckling pig, it had all, finishing with a Persimmon pie with vanilla bean ice-cream. Oh heaven's it was good! The staff were wonderful, we ended up talking to one of the owners who works the floor, whilst her partner the chef, works the kitchen. And they work it so well! Get in now whilst you can, this place is going to go off!

May 24, 2011

Restaurants, Mediterranean, Modern Australian, Tapas, Hip and Trendy

Overall 7.5  39

Rocked up here unannounced after doing the Spit to Manly walk one sunny day. Place was busy but as we were after 2 pm there was a table clearing that we could take.

Service was nice and relaxed, befitting a beach side place. I really liked the decor, even better that they had loos inside and not having to use the public ones like we had to back in the manly beach house (sommit like that) days. We shared the pate which was great, though Time To Vino's at Darlinghurst is waaay better. I ordered the fish and chips and my partner order the salmon. Mine came up a little fancy on a nice wooden board with the chips in a little metal bucket and a good supply of tartare sauce.

I was happy as a sand boy. My partners was very disappointing, having hair in your lunch doesn't help. The flavours were bland, presentation was average, the colours flacid. Just really blah all round. Wine list was alright. I did scan around and some of the other dishes looked great. The arancini looked awesome as did the burgers. However, the proof is in the tasting...I'd be up for another trip, might have to take a different partner though!

Apr 29, 2011

Restaurants, American, Licensed, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining

Overall 6.2  102

Oh Souths why have you foresaken me? Blue Plate used to run a baby-sister version on Military Road called Souths. Hole in the wall place with checked table cloths, byo, a big tabasco bottle painted on the wall and all of us happily crammed in enjoying the best ribs and wings in town. oh joy. Alas, Leo has seen it to close down South's and focus solely on Blue Plate. Now blue plate to a yank is a bargain feed in a dinner - something low key, down market, value i.e. Souths.

Blue Plate is over-priced, over decorated, and overly disappointing. Same items as on the Souths menu yet $$'s more?! what the? I suppose someone has to pay for the fancy re-fit but it won't be me. Bring back Souths I say!

Mar 29, 2011

Jugemu & Shimbashi, Neutral Bay

Restaurants, Japanese, American Express, Diners Club, Eftpos

Overall 7.3  62

Really enjoy my partner and I dining here but we always stake a claim at the teppanyaki bar to watch the action. It's not your egg flinging type but two chefs preparing an assortment of details for the patrons. We always order the Japanese pancakes which are sensational and a few other bits and pieces which never fail to please.

BYO? sadly not which pushes the price of dinner up. Definitely worth putting on your list of great Japanese places to eat at on the North side and do yourself a favour and order the pancakes.

Mar 29, 2011

» Circular Quay 7.1 Cafe Sydney
    452 Photo of Cafe Sydney

Restaurants, Cafes, Modern Australian, Seafood, Family Dining
    Custom House, 31 Alfred St, Circular Quay, Sydney
    Cafe Sydney captures the essence of Sydney from its amazing location on the rooftop of Customs House… more

36 Photo of go-zen Japanese Restaurant

$$

Restaurants, Japanese, Family Dining, Good For Groups, BYO
    Shop 5, 142 Spit Rd, Mosman, Sydney
    "go-zen Japanese Restaurant" is located in a peaceful location in Mosman quietly supported… more

» Neutral Bay 7.3 Jugemu & Shimbashi
    62 Photo of Jugemu & Shimbashi

$

Restaurants, Japanese, American Express, Diners Club, Eftpos
    246 Military Rd, Neutral Bay, Sydney
    Jugemu & Shimbashi stands out on Military Road with its two entrances coupled with contrasting e… more

» Darlinghurst 8 La Pesa Trattoria
    61 Photo of La Pesa Trattoria

172-174 Liverpool St, Darlinghurst, Sydney

» Richmond 10 Noir
    5 Photo of Noir

Restaurants, European, French, Romantic and Intimate, Serves Dinner
    175 Swan St, Richmond, Melbourne
    Nestled in Richmond's bustling Swan Street is Noir, a restaurant with old-fashioned virtues. And by … more

» Cremorne 6.2 Papaya
    97 Photo of Papaya

Restaurants, Thai, BYO
    Shop 7-9, 307-309 Military Rd (Crn Spofforth St), Cremorne, Sydney

» Cammeray 6.8 Papaya Thai (Cammeray)
    44 Photo of Papaya Thai (Cammeray)

Restaurants, Thai