Reviews

Restaurants, French, Italian, Modern Australian, BYO

Overall 7.7  151

We were a party of 8 celebrating a birthday. The restaurant was kind enough to do a set menu for us and on it was a great selection – we were really happy.

I had the pate to start with. It tasted like it was 50% butter and 50% pate – you’ll see from the picture on my blog how unusual the texture was. It also had a funny after taste – when the 3 of us (one of which is a chef) explained we weren’t happy with it there was no hesitation to take it back so either their customer service is exemplary or there had been other issues.

Main was Mulloway – it was wonderful and dessert was nougat – also terrific! It was a great restaurant to try – if someone suggested to go back there I’d happily tag along but I wouldn’t initiate to others that it’s a “must go to”.

Apr 21, 2014

Restaurants, Pizza, Outdoor Dining, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 8.2  4

Any restaurant that focuses on seasonal produce and ethics gets my vote any day!

Tucked away in one of the more quieter streets, this was a terrific find. The ingredients are truly the stars, which allows for decor to be understated with a bit of funk, and the open kitchen adds to the vibe.

If you don't feel like drinking... go another time as you simply must have a signature cocktail.

If you only want a slice of pizza as you're not so peckish... go another time as, if you order 2 pizzas, they bring them to you already half/half and you must must must try both.

And... you also must try a side salad - all of them perfectly compliment the pizzas and with the produce being so fresh you can't not experience what a salad tastes like when it is the freshest of the fresh.

Desserts didn't excite me so much but everything else makes that very easily forgivable.

Jan 05, 2014

Bar Brazilia, Brighton-Le-Sands

Restaurants, Brazilian, Family Dining, Hip and Trendy, Air Conditioning

Overall 5.6  68

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful

Look at any review forum and its all the same... service here is shocking. Key highlights: Ordered 2 cocktails on arrival... one never showed, ordered Sangria and it came but they forgot to give us glasses... asked for the glasses 4 times... 90 mins later they came, asked if we wanted any final serves of the meat... said yes to the beef... repeated this convo 3 times... no beef.

The owner loves to tell you he's the owner but has some serious blinkers on to the vague staff that roam around aimlessly failing to do simple things (like give people a glass so they can actually have their sangria)... he has his head down making it impossible to get his attention (we repeatedly tried)... but his head pops up the second one of his mates comes in.

The 3 tables near us (that actually got his attention) also had complaints - the owner insincerely schmoozed his way around them... then of course the talk led to no action. Such a shame as Bar Brazilia could be an awesome destination but it will fade fast with the shocker of a reputation they've given themselves.

PS they water the drinks down.

Mobile Review Jan 01, 2014

Overall 8.1  4

What a find! A charcuterie in the St George area! Whether you need gourmet meat, gourmet sausages, small goods, gourmet grocery or a bite for lunch... it is a one stop wonderland.

For lunch we chose the 3 sausages with salad option and the pasta with fresh tomatoes and cheese. It was simply produce at its best - the simplicity of the pasta showed off the fresh and fine ingredients, with the fresh pasta cooked to al dente perfection. The sausages were also amazing combining herbs with succulent mince.

Can't wait to go back and venture back here for my small goods purchases.

Nov 22, 2013

Duck Republic, The, Cronulla

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Vegetarian, Fine Dining, Good for Business Dining

Overall 8.3  18

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

We were party of 2 for a Sunday lunch. Despite the website forewarning that you’re only likely to get a booking if you book 2 weeks ahead, we got a booking easily and while there we were there only 3 other tables were occupied

For entrees, I had Roast duck betel leaves… the duck was overpowered by the very sweet caramelized onions. Mum had Sashimi of Tasmanian salmon. Again quite a nice dish – I had a taste and got an oyster. It definitely wasn’t freshly shucked so the texture wasn’t overly pleasant. But, that aside it was quite nice.

Mains
Mum had Char grilled Kilcoy eye fillet of beef and I had Pan fried salmon fillet. Both mains were quite good – mum and I both wanted medium to rare in its truest form but got thoroughly cooked through steak and salmon so if you like medium to rare maybe request rare if you do want to see pink.

I do want to make a special point of saying how excellent the service was though – outstanding, attentive and extremely genuine. Service was a 10.

We went on a rainy day so all windows were closed. There were only 3 other tables on the other side of the restaurant yet it was hard-to-hear noisy.

Nov 18, 2013

More Reviews...

Photos

Profile

Member since 2006

I'm Female and seriously taken

My birthday is on 4th Jan 1979

My home town is Sydney

They say I'm always on the quest for the perfect meal and/or recipe

My blog or website http://peckish-zrk.blogspot.com

Though I heart Eatability, I also surf my own lovely blog :)

Apart from eating, I love staying fit and double love cooking

You'll often catch me running the streets of Willoughby

I crave something different everyday

I can't stop listening to lounge tunes when I cook and club trax when I run and alternative when I drive

The kind of people I'd really like to meet Friendly, social food lovers

If I could have any job be a recipe detective

My favourite cuisine is French

Bar Brazilia, Brighton-Le-Sands

Restaurants, Brazilian, Family Dining, Hip and Trendy, Air Conditioning

Overall 5.6  68

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful

PS they water the drinks down.

Mobile Review Jan 01, 2014

Overall 8.1  4

Can't wait to go back and venture back here for my small goods purchases.

Nov 22, 2013

Duck Republic, The, Cronulla

Overall 8.3  18

Mains

Nov 18, 2013

Restaurants, Italian, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 6.7  18

What's great? The staff are friendly, cool and genuinely trying to get it right. Our pasta dish (daily special - a $33 truffle pasta) was a huge let down and this was rectified nicely. The 4 seasons pizza however was awesome and the best in the area at this point in time.

What's not?

See picture of how they're currently cooking pasta via my blog. The teething issues also include forgetting orders (one hour in between the pizza and pasta that was meant to come one after the other) and giving us someone else's bill. The dessert menu (or lack thereof) is also an opportunity for them.

In saying all this I do genuinely look forward to going back and seeing how they fine tune what they're setting out to achieve. What they do well, they've nailed. What they're not doing well, all the signs are there that they've got the right intentions to get it on track.

Jul 27, 2013

Restaurants, Cafes

Overall 1.8  2

Ambience  5      Service  1      Value  1

After 40 minutes of waiting for the food to come out we enquired about it, specifically explaining what time we needed to leave by. The owner said that the restaurant is busy and we have to remember we are a table of 6. He went to find out where the order was at. 10 minutes later came back, said it would come soon. I asked what that meant - 5 mins??? He got annoyed with me waving his hands around saying he didn’t know. Another 10 minutes passed, we paid the drinks bill and left. The owner then said the food was coming and if we left he'd call the police on us (for what???). We didn't get fed (or arrested)... it was an awful experience.

Jun 08, 2013

Gowings Bar & Grill, Sydney CBD

Restaurants, European, Has Bar, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner

Overall 6.8  43

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

We were a party of six for 2 friends birthdays. In true Merivale style the decor is funky, a little eclectic and full of vibe and you're always noticing something different when you scan the room.

I must say I received the best service in anywhere Ive been in the world, right from the start. The waitress was outstanding and other staff we interacted with were the same. I had a problem with my order (asked for the cream to not be added to the muscles broth and the kitchen didn't see this and added the cream) and the issue was resolved in a manner that surpassed expectations exponentially. The staff even overheard there were birthdays at our table and without prompting the desserts came with candles. Twenty out of Ten for service.

The menu has so much selection and big big big - whole fish, whole pigeon, half a duck so bring your appetite when you go - there's no such thing as morsels here!

May 04, 2013

Restaurants, Italian, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 8.2  33

In a word – wow. Don’t go once because between the a la carte menu, grazing on anti pastos and pizzas; and going back for whatever you didn’t eat on the previous occasions – Signorelli Gastronomia will give you reason to keep coming back and trying the different offerings will see a different experience each time. Hands down it’s now on my top 5.

On this occasion we went before going to the lyric theatre – the staff were more than accommodating having us arrive at 12:15, were out the door by 1:45 and never felt like we were going to miss the show. Nor did we feel rushed.

Apr 28, 2013

La Grande Bouffe, Rozelle

Restaurants, French, Family Dining, BYO, Child Friendly

Overall 7.6  129

We were a party of eleven, half of which were visiting from Paris. Everything was sensational with resulting comments saying it was like being in Paris in Australia. I was lucky enough to try a few things across our shared entrees and cheeky tastings of others dishes. See my blog http://peckish-zrk.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/blog-post.html for pics of these. We were a little surprised that, as the chefs appeared (towards the end), none that we saw were actually French but all in all a terrific restaurant and absolutely we’ll be back.

Mar 17, 2013

» Crows Nest 7.5 AYummy Yummy Chinese Cuisine
    38 Photo of AYummy Yummy Chinese Cuisine

Restaurants, Asian, Chinese, Seafood, Yum Cha
    11 Alexander St, Crows Nest, Sydney
    Sorry Guys, restaurant still under renovation. Coming Soon and watch this space. :) Thanks you - Ray… more

» Darlinghurst 7.4 Bar Reggio
    144 Photo of Bar Reggio

Restaurants, Italian, Pizza, BYO, Serves Dinner
    135 Crown St, Darlinghurst, Sydney
    Bar Reggio is a lovely dining place on Crown Street to bring one's favourite bottle of wine, sit dow… more

» Cronulla 8 Cafe La Bay

» Willoughby North 7.5 Top Speed Thai
    51 Photo of Top Speed Thai

Restaurants, Asian, Seafood, Thai, Vegetarian
    331 Penshurst St, Willoughby North, Sydney
    At Top Speed Thai we're all about offering our customers fresh, tantalising Thai cuisine fast. Stop … more

Wish List

116 Blues Point Road, McMahons Point, Sydney

» Artarmon 7 Freeway Hotel
    41 Photo of Freeway Hotel

$$

Pubs, Modern Australian, Bistro/Brasserie, Child Friendly Menus, Entertainment / Music
    115 Reserve Road (Cnr Gore Hill Freeway), Artarmon, Sydney

» Crows Nest 7.6 Mathew's Peacock Gardens
    93 Photo of Mathew's Peacock Gardens

Restaurants, Chinese, Seafood, Fine Dining, Food Delivery
    100 Alexander St, Crows Nest, Sydney

» Neutral Bay 6.3 Mrs. Top Restaurant (Closed)
    122 Photo of Mrs. Top Restaurant (Closed)

$$$

Restaurants, French, Romantic and Intimate, BYO, Citibank Dining Program
    242 Military Rd, Neutral Bay, Sydney
    The noise from the road left us at the door as we stepped into Mrs Top and were welcomed into a warm… more

» Crows Nest 7.9 Mustang Nepalese Restaurant
    115 Photo of Mustang Nepalese Restaurant

Restaurants, Nepalese, BYO, Food Delivery, Licensed
    330 Pacific Hwy, Crows Nest, Sydney
    Mustang (pronouched 'moo-stang') is beautifully furnished with a stylish interior reflecting a tradi… more

» Chatswood 7.2 Orchard Tavern

» Crows Nest 7.2 Raavi's Cumin
    178 Photo of Raavi's Cumin

Restaurants, Indian, Vegetarian, Family Dining, Hip and Trendy
    2 Burlington St, Crows Nest, Sydney
    Situated in the North Shore’s dining hub of Crow’s Nest, Raavi's Cumin offers authentic Indian cuisi… more

» Willoughby 6.8 Sakari Japanese Teppanyaki

325 Photo of WAQU

Special Offer

Restaurants, Japanese, Modern Australian, Fine Dining, Hip and Trendy
    308 Pacific Hwy, Crows Nest, Sydney
    Located in the heart of Crows Nest, WAQU offers a unique dining experience featuring contemporary cu… more

Japanese

Shop 39, 103 Willoughby Rd, Crows Nest, Sydney

36 Photo of go-zen Japanese Restaurant

Restaurants, Japanese, Family Dining, Good For Groups, BYO
    Shop 5, 142 Spit Rd, Mosman, Sydney
    "go-zen Japanese Restaurant" is located in a peaceful location in Mosman quietly supported… more

» Crows Nest 7.3 Sakana-Ya