Reviews

Restaurants, Pizza, Tapas, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 7.5  44

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

I live across the road from this place. The first time I saw this place open I was a bit sceptical. A Spanish Tapas Bar with Pizza too!? How good could the food really be?

Anyway, built up the courage and to tell you the truth I couldn't have been bothered to drive anywhere. We ordered some of the normal dishes like Patatas Bravas, Garlic Prawns, Crochets and some other dishes from the menu.

The food was not only one of the best Tapas I've ever eaten but it was made using very fresh ingredients. I'm in the food game, I know these things! My wife and I love eating out in nice restaurants. One recent being Portenio in Surry Hills, a Chefs hat Restaurant!

El Toro was not only on par but maybe even better than Portenios Chefs Hat Food.
Service was very good and I paid $131 for 4 people. Portenio cost me $350 approx! Highly Recommended!

Feb 05, 2012

Wolfies, The Rocks

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Restaurant Bookings, Water View, American Express

Overall 6.2  117

Came past the other night. Had some people from overseas and thought, what a better location than Wolfies to bring them. Boy was I wrong! Won't make the same mistake again.

Our Entrees were quite nice although, my wife had the Ravioli Pumpkin. They seemed to taste quite Raw inside. Not too nice at all. My stake was cooked fine, nothing special though.

All in all very disappointed. These guys were very good a while back, but it seems that they have changed chef's or something, hence the quality drop. Not too sure, but they need to change something before I go back.

Nov 21, 2011

Locantro Fine Foods, Leichhardt

Cafes, Bakeries, Cake Shops and Patisseries, Italian, Child Friendly Highchairs

Overall 8.5  11

This place is really dangerous! Cerrone Jeweler next door and great food inside! Guys be very careful.

Last week we were driving past and were surprised to see this little cafe hidden away in Catherine Street Leichhardt. Who would have known that one of the best Pasticcerie in Leichhardt would be on Catherine St and not Norton St!
We started off with a Osso Buco Pie. The meaty chunks were incredible. I've never eaten a pie with so much meat.

After the pie I ate the Vanilla Cannoli. Brilliant. The coffee was also good.
All in all one of the best cafe's I've ever eaten in.

Nov 13, 2011

Lucio Pizzeria, Darlinghurst

Restaurants, Pizza, Hip and Trendy, Licensed, Outdoor Dining

Overall 7.3  60

My fiancée and I ate here about 2 weeks ago and I still remember the dishes perfectly. I remember perfectly because the food was exceptional.
We started with the "Polpi Affoggati" and the "Figi con Spek".

The Octopus was cooked to perfection and the Napoletana Sauce it was in was to die for. The Figs were fresh and the Spek was cooked well.
We ordered two pizza's. When I try new Pizzeria's I always try the Margerita and compare them with places like La Disfida in Haberfield or Napoli in Bocca in Haberfield. Let me tell you something for nothing, I thought I'd never find a better pizza than La Disfida, but I have. It's this place.

Considering Lucio is Napoletano, I had high expectations, and he lived up to them. The crust is nice and fluffy like a real Napoletana Pizza should, though is not too filling. The topping is nice and fresh. Tomato and Mozzarella were brilliant.
Service was excellent with Lucio him self introducing himself at our table.
Price was reasonable too.
Highly recommended.

May 08, 2009

Uccello, Sydney CBD

Restaurants, Italian, Licensed, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 6.6  79

Went here for my fiancée birthday with another 7 people. 9 in total. All in all we paid $1155 for 9 people with wine. The menu was set out as $100 for 3 courses. I had the prosciutto for antipasto which was pretty hard to get wrong. My primo piatto was the Pappardelle with Coniglio (rabbit), which was very good. The secondo was the bistecca which I didn't like. It had a weird taste to it. It was ok though.

My fiancée had the Caprese for antipasto which again is pretty hard to get wrong. For primo piatto she had angel hair with Granchio (Crab). She said it was great, very delicious. For secondo piatto we shared the bistecca and we also shared the 3 sampler dessert which was ok.

I'm not really sure about entry for this place. We all walked straight in, our booking was for 8 pm. But what happens if you book for 4-5 guys for 9.30 pm? Will you get knocked back at the front door? I really hope not....

Also after our meal, we wanted to go for a drink at the new Pool Bar, 7 girls and 2 boys. The staff at the door wouldn't let us in! 7 girls! We are eating in front of the pool, and we can't go and get a drink there! Ivy management really needs to have a look at this!

The new excuse was that "You need to be invited"!! Recommended only because the food was just above average but the place lacks substance.

Mar 01, 2009

Nov 21, 2011

Locantro Fine Foods, Leichhardt

Cafes, Bakeries, Cake Shops and Patisseries, Italian, Child Friendly Highchairs

Overall 8.5  11

After the pie I ate the Vanilla Cannoli. Brilliant. The coffee was also good.
All in all one of the best cafe's I've ever eaten in.

Nov 13, 2011

Lucio Pizzeria, Darlinghurst

Restaurants, Pizza, Hip and Trendy, Licensed, Outdoor Dining

Overall 7.3  60

We started with the "Polpi Affoggati" and the "Figi con Spek".

Service was excellent with Lucio him self introducing himself at our table.
Price was reasonable too.
Highly recommended.

Mar 01, 2009

glass brasserie, Sydney CBD

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Family Dining, Fine Dining, Good for Brunch

Overall 7.7  257

I came here for Valentines Day. Set menu $110, total with a glass of red and glass of champagne was $280. I think all was ok though a bit pricey for what it is.

We started with Fig with Goats cheese. My fiancée words "Delicious"! The Prawn Chorizo also was brilliant! The best dish of the night. Very fresh and tasty. For main we had the Angus Beef and the Gnocchi. The Gnocchi as we all know is trial and error. This time the Gnocchi were "error". It tasted very floury and stuck to your mouth. The beef was cooked well.

We sat in front of the kitchen, which I didn't like, but put up with it. The young gentleman that served us was very professional and unobtrusive. There were 3 to 4 runners waiting at the kitchen to take food out at any one time, so food would come out quite swiftly. Very good service. All in all good food but just a tad too expensive.

Feb 17, 2009

Restaurants, Italian, Vegetarian, Fine Dining, Hip and Trendy

Overall 6.9  281

Had a birthday here today and I must say a brilliant location and view of Bondi Beach! Though the food was very average. Not what I expected, after all the rave reviews. The service was pretty professional. I'm really not sure about those awards above! The people handing out these awards really need to be replaced!

My entree was the Tortellini in Brodo. The Tortellini were quite disgusting, seemed like they used too much Rosemary when cooking the meat for the inside. Also the Tortellini were not actually Tortellini. They were little bundles of pasta rounded and joined! Also, the broth had an acidy taste to it. Not good at all. My Spaghetti with Pork belly was pretty average too. The Pork was way over cooked and the sauce, while edible, tasted awfully like Dolmios!

My missus had the Frittata with Cheese special, which was quite good, and for the main she had the risotto, which she said was average. The service by the young French waiter was excellent. Price was approx $100 a head with drinks, which isn't way over the top, though you can better for your money! Not Recommended.

Jan 18, 2009

Mezzapica, Leichhardt

Cafes, Italian, Outdoor Dining, Serves Breakfast, Serves Lunch

Overall 7.2  23

I have eaten at Mezzapica for a while now, and I'm still waiting for Bad service, Bad Food or Bad Value! I'm not really sure about those other reviews but the Pasta looks home made. The coffee is absolutely brilliant and the service is excellent. Regarding the negative reviews, they must be those people you just can not please. Any mistake made, they will crucify the staff. These bad reviewers are perfect them selves, so everyone else around them has to be too!

Last time I was there I had the gnocchi, I didn't want it in the sauce that was on the menu. The staff were quite nice and offered me a different sauce. Considering it was a last minute request, the "Gnocchi Amatriciana" was incredible, home made for sure. I heard through the grape vine that Frank the chef worked in a few high class restaurants in Sydney.

I don't believe I have ever had a bad coffee at Mezzapica! If you go to the Mezzapica Cake store next door, buy a small cake and they will let you eat it in the cafe! The Cannoli are incredible. This is a must at Mezzapica. The Ricotta ones are the best! Highly recommended!

Jan 07, 2009

Pool Cafe, The, Maroubra

Cafes, Modern Australian, BYO, Licensed, Outdoor Dining

Overall 6.1  55

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Ditto Below. Except this time there were many trainees. Hopefully the turnout to be half decent! My girlfriend and I dine here quite often. I would come more often if the service was any better. The problem with this place is the service, it's disappointing. They go from bad to worst! It's a shame, the food is very good. I wouldn't expect people to return to this place, after you wait 1 hour for food. I'm very patient or come on a Sunday afternoon after 2.30 pm, when I'm in no rush. I would recommend this place only because the food is brilliant. Come here only if you have time to spare....

Jan 03, 2009

Hugos Bar Pizza, Kings Cross

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Pizza, Has Bar, Licensed

Overall 7  70

Surprisingly, we ate quite well here. I have eaten here before and the food was average to say the least.

For entree my fiancée and I started with the garlic and chilli prawns, which were absolutely brilliant. Prawns were cooked well. Went on to our mains, fettuccine with strawberry clams and the gnocchi.

The gnocchi were the dehydrated potato gnocchi off the supermarket shelf, though the sauce was ok. The fettuccine was brilliant. The clams were quite large and no sand! That's a first, everywhere I go I get at least a little sand in either the vongole or the clams.

Price was $230 for 5 people which for what we got was very good. One little drawback was we had to wait a little as they were full. We were told the next availability was 1 hour. We were seated in 20 minutes. We were contemplating the Vietnamese Restaurant around the corner. The girl that served us was very professional. Recommended.

Dec 07, 2008