Woodstock Cafe

Add a Review for Woodstock Cafe

Coffee

Coffee

User Reviews of Woodstock Cafe, Fitzroy North

I don't know why there's so many negative reviews on here, my experience was good! Anyway, as others have said, it's a family run, authentic "homestyle" kind of place. Their only fixed menu is for the pizzas and drinks, their other meals are on a blackboard which changes daily.

Our waitress was attentive, friendly and full of personality (we were all "bella" or "bello"). She explained everything on the menu to us (as it was only written in Italian), and was happy to accommodate for people who wanted to change/substitute things, or for vegetarians.

The food was very nice. The pizzas are some of the nicest I have had, the base was perfect as it was woodfired. My main of rabbit with polenta was like something that you'd get from an Italian Nonna's kitchen, you could tell it was cooked with care. The gelati were also very good. My only gripe was that I thought the entrees could have been a bit bigger.

It was a little expensive, but I think it was worth it. I would definitely return!

Jul 03, 2011

If you don't mind being ripped off or mind surly staff, if you don't mind below par food, you'll love this place. We were told it was family run, authentic italian and all the food was made on the premises, yet from where we were sitting we saw commercial packages being opened, so much for home cooking.

Ordered a pizza, waited for an hour and a half it's base was transparent, with a cigarrete-paper thin slice of proscuitto by the time it arrived I'd lost my appetite, ordered dessert to be sociable and we were asked to come to the counter to choose the flavours of gelato, after the waiter had put the serve in the bowl he decided he'd served too much "of a miniscule amount anyway" and proceded to scoop some of it out of the dishes and put it back into the freezer. Those of us who had ordered dessert stood there gobsmacked. Eat here at your own peril.

Jul 08, 2010

Waited for over an hour for entree to arrive, portion size for mains absolutely tiny,
    watched as waiter microwaved our dessert from a plastic bag, all of us went home hungry, staff were surly.

Jul 06, 2010

Has good and bad points. Went on a Saturday night and waited over an hour for our pizzas. The bases were soggy. They refuse to give you tap water. But will go back (on a quieter night) for the egg, ham and pea pizza which I love.

Mar 06, 2010

I'm of Italian descent and know a good Italian feed. I have visited this place twice with my partner, both times I've been severely disappointed with the quality and atmosphere of the offering.

While the concept of this joint seems to be a winner for many people (let's face it, they're always packed out), for me, the value just isn't there. This is partly due to the unjustifiably steep prices given the 'rustic' and simple Italian fare served up ($85 + for a simple meal is steep in this location). It's also due to the inconsistent and spartan service (order a pizza at 8.30 pm, only to have it arrive at 10 pm after asking 3 of the staff to follow it up). It's lastly due to the steep corkage ($10) and unavailability of a number of the Italian wines on the wine list we requested both times I visited.

In any case, if you're up for a good rustic Italian feed in an unpretentious place, with the smell of nonna's cooking wafting through the doorway, consider heading down the road to Osteria House which in my opinion has good pizzas and amazing gnocchi and regional specials for half the price, and better service.

Jan 07, 2010

I'm Italian and I know Italian food. I couldn't compare any restaurant food to my nonnas cooking but this place comes close. Best Italian restaurant in Melbourne!

Feb 21, 2009

Disappointing. Service was mixed, one waiter being excellent while others ranged from brusque to off-putting. Food was ok but far too expensive for the quality of the ingredients and the presentation (e.g. $17 for a plate of plain pasta for a child).

Ambience, furnishings, layout etc would have been acceptable for a cheap and cheerful family bistro, but for prices which imply that this place aims for something higher the experience was a let-down. Friends we went with said it was 'genuine' Italian cooking but to us (i.e. non-Italian) it just seemed pretty much like a lot of others we've been to and nothing special. Won't go back.

Oct 14, 2008

We (table of 6) arrived after the Saturday night peak at around 9pm. Ordered pizzas - nice but way overpriced, and then proceeded to wait an hour and half to get them. The pizza maker then threw the last one down, said he was tired.

We should've walked out, but decided to experience the food. When paying the bill, we simply said we won't be back. The staff were basically un-apologetic at the hour and half wait. NOT ACCEPTABLE anywhere, anytime. We will not be back. Eat there at your own risk.

May 06, 2008

Yes it is pricey, yes it is frustratingly slow at times but the fact is this place is packed most nights. The food is excellent, home style di cucina! Fresh ingredients cooked to order. If you go here in the knowledge that it will take a while to get your meals, you will enjoy it greatly. The staff, (all family) are a source of entertainment on there own.

Apr 22, 2008

Management was extremely rude & un-cooperative when trying to rectify an issue with the bill - very disappointing! They also need to hire more wait staff (rather than relying on family members who by the look of things, are overworked & run off their feet - they could use a night off). We considered the menu far too pricy for cafe food! They've lost our business -we won't be back!

Apr 10, 2008

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!