Story

Story Contact Info

Kirsten Egan on (03) 9663 4218
enquiries@marekai.com

Superior Room with 2 Queen Beds
Extra spacious room with enhanced city, mountain and lake views. Rates based on 2 people. Maximum occupancy 2 adults and 2 children. Please refer to hotel policies for additional fees payable direct.
Seating Capacity 80

Log Fire
Outdoor Dining
Private Room

Overview of Story

Story is one of those Melbourne venues so strategically hidden that discovering it is such an enjoyment in itself.

Located on Queensbridge Street in Southbank, it sits adjacent from Crown Casino. A set of tucked away stairs ascends you up into a private courtyard that opens up to the casual lounge, bar and dining space.

The area has been scattered with one off lounges, felt lamps and antiques with several areas to discover. The main mahogany bar stretches half way across the room from the leather booths and chesterfield couches.

The main space is perfect for intimate dinners and cocktail events. Large French doors open up the lounge and courtyard providing one large entertaining area. High ceilings, exposed beams and open fire place create a feel of being in a ski lodge or country estate.

The menu is an eclectic highlight of Marekai Events’ popular function menus. The space was originally created to expose Marekai menus to potential and current clientele, and has since flourished in to an a la carte dining and casual bar.

An extensive list of unique, boutique and specialty wine and beer compliment the innovative and evolving Marekai menus.

Add a Review for Story

User Reviews of Story, Southbank

This was a great little find. I was very happy that they could accomodate a last minute booking on a Friday afternoon for that evening for 4 people. The menu was fantastic, I was a little confused at first until the waiter explained that the menu was designed for shared tasting plates. I was releived when they came out that they weren't the typical "Spanish Style Tapas" where I normally end up leaving hungry. These dishes were of generous size and absolutely delicious. We ordered one of the meat and cheese boards which was fantastic with Polish meats i had never tried before. The pork hock dumplings were to die for! Maybe order an extra one because I could have had the whole plate for myself. The only let down was that there was no dessert menu on that night. However the coffees were amazing and the waiter was so nice that it was easily forgiven. I will be back to try the desserts another time!

Aug 10, 2011

What an absolute delight! Tucked away in Southbank we came across this venue and wow - what experience!

The restaurant is so cosy with a fire and lanterns throughout. Heaters in the courtyard for smokers was a nice offering. The music was to our taste also.
    The food was amazing - something for everyone on the menu and really, really high quality.

The service was impecable - the waiter was friendly and made conversation without being intrusive on our dinner. He recommended drinks and wine that we may like to try and was spot on.

We will definitely be back - and have already started spreading the word! Would be a great place for Friday night after work drinks too! Highly recommended!

Jul 22, 2011

All dishes cooked to perfection (Might have new chef) good prices and the service was spot on the new bar man/waiter very welcoming knows his job. I will be back.

Jun 22, 2011

What a gem! Was taken to this little oasis behind Crown by a good friend. We ate off the grazing menu to start with the Vediny board to share, the house made breads were fantastic, the smoked meets were outstanding I could have eaten another serve for main. Onto mains and I had the Eye fillet rare and my mate had the saffron papadelle, both were fantastic the steak was cooked to perfection and the fat chips were the best I eaten in a long time.

No room for dessert but we finished with a couple of coffees which finished the great night off perfectly. Will definitely be going back.

Mar 15, 2011

A Story best not told. I was honestly hoping this place would lay to rest the unfortunate experience I had at Story's previous incarnation 'Queen's Loft' but alas, it was if anything, worse.

A little had changed: new artworks, a few more sofa's, a few less dining tables, and an outdoor area with faux grass; a blatant idea grab from the renowned Madame Brussels. But, in all, Queen's Loft had received little more than a name change and a new pair of sneakers.

A two minute wait to be seated spoke more of a need to employ more staff on a key night, but the delay in receiving menu's was quite simply inexcusable especially on a night where empty tables outnumbered those that were filled. It did though give us the opportunity to take notice of the dishes left half eaten, making our selection options more specific. In order to receive service we were forced to order at the bar.

We began with a 'trilogy' of dips (from a grazing menu we were told the chef may not be able to make as it was not on the 'dinner' menu). I'm not sure how long it would take a monkey to spoon three dips onto a plate with some excessively dry bread, but were i to guess at 20 minutes, it would still be quicker. As it turned out, that same monkey could have also made better dips. We were unable to determine what any of the three were; they all tasted so bad, they were not only unable to disguise the taste of stale bread, but left an aftertaste an entire glass of water gulped down could not remove.

The mains were no better. The only vegetarian option seemingly available on the dinner menu was unable to be made by the kitchen, so I was left flitting around the grazing menu while my friend tried the Eye Fillet.

I gave the Crispy Polenta a go, and regretted all but the point in which I centered my knife and fork amongst a half completed plate. The polenta was tasteless, the watermelon more water than melon, and the feta almost non existent (a shame that, it was the only thing i seemed to eat).

My friend's Eye Fillet was dry, surprisingly fatty and not as thick as the table beside ours which - undercooked - had been left half consumed. The bill, when received, should have been handed to us by a purse snatcher!

In all, the service - extremely understaffed - was horrible; the food was exceptionally poor and ridiculously overpriced; and the atmosphere was about as lively as a retirement village television room once the sleeping pills kick in!

My experience at Queen's Loft was bad, but I was willing to give this 'rework' a go. Unfortunately, this rework is a more expensive twist on the depressingly poor original. A Story best left untold!

Feb 11, 2011

Story Story Story Story Story « 1 of 5 photos »

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!