Short Black Cafe

Short Black Cafe Contact Info

Has Cafe

Add a Review for Short Black Cafe

User Reviews of Short Black Cafe, Camberwell

A no fuss breakfast at a good price... which is a nice change to the area. Bacon, eggs and avocado were all very good. I would be happy to return.

Jun 01, 2014

This place is consistent, that's what I like about it. They know me and they know what I like and they continue to deliver it. Because I am such a regular, I know that the food quality can vary from average to very nice, this is wholly dependent on which chef is working that day.

The place is large, so a nice ambience is difficult to achieve, however, when you arrive here first thing on a cold morning, the aroma of the wood fired oven is very pleasant indeed. The service can sometimes be a little inattentive, but again, this is usually first thing in the morning. Pricing is on the high side, but what you would expect to pay in this area. I'll keep going as long as they keep doing what I like. Coffee is good. Lately the fruit salad has been delicious.

Fruit Salad and yoghurt - delicious

May 12, 2013

Fantastic food and a great environment. Love the coffee and the pizza. Working in the area, I have regular meetings with clients here and have never had a bad or inconsistent experience. Not sure why everyone had such a bad experience, I can't reflect the same thing.

Mar 03, 2012

Went there for lunch today and will definitely Not be going back. A couple of the staff were very abrupt to us. We were only allowed to order from the very limited breakfast menu, even though it was after 12pm, and every other customer next to us was offered the full menu of pizzas, pastas and salads etc. We were told this menu was not available to us.

Our meal arrived quickly but it took us a further 10 minutes before we were actually brought cutlery. For the most part the food was ok, but I have to say the scrambled eggs were absolutely revolting. I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone.

Dec 21, 2011

This is the first time I have written a review, but I was so impressed with the service at Short Black Cafe last night that I decided to write one. The Cafe had a nice atmosphere, enough energy but comfortable and quiet enough to hear those at our table. We were surprised to receive a complimentary dips platter for our party of five people at the start of our meal, with lovely warm bread, dips and a bit of antipasto. When my pasta arrived, I realised I had forgotten to ask for no cheese.

The chef immediately and cheerfully started another one for me, even though I said it was my fault for not mentioning it. Portions were very large and tasty, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food tends to be on the rich side, so if you want something with less cream or oil, I expect you could just ask for that, the chefs really want to please. All in all, a lovely evening.

Nov 27, 2011

Visited Short Black for an early dinner on a Saturday night. It was not particularly busy but had to wait several minutes before one of the half dozen staff came to seat us. When he did, he said he would bring us some menus but then forgot, so we went up to the counter and got them ourselves. Very slow to bring us our drinks, very slow to take our meal order. Didn't ask if we would like another drink, didn't ask if everything was Ok.

Had to get up and ask the barista for some extra sour cream for the wedges. Didn't clear the entree dishes from the tables even after serving the main so had a table full of dirty dishes. Left my main in front of me for 15 minutes until I finally moved both lots of dirty dishes to the next table myself.

Meanwhile the waitress was reading the newspapers meant for customers! The pork main I ordered was supposed to be with a cream rosemary sauce and baked potatoes. No sign of a creamy sauce, a pile of greasy oily onion olive and pepper and greasy oily fried potatoes, some almost raw. Would have liked dessert and another drink but although not busy, could have died waiting! Left in disgust and made dessert at home. Don't bother!

Jun 19, 2011

Short black has always been a fairly consistent place to go get a quick, unpretentious meal in Camberwell. However, since the restaurant changed hands in November, the quality has steadily declined.

Today, we had the worst breakfast experience that we have ever had. The staff were breathtaking rude and unattentive, the food was medicore at best and was presented with little regard. It also appeared to have been sitting for some time before we received it, lukewarm and congealing. Even at 10 in the morning, there was a televison on above our table blasting out a random children's program too loudly for us to converse comfortably.

Moreover, the food was overpriced. This is genuinely the worst breakfast that I have ever been asked to pay for. Avoid at all costs.

Jun 03, 2011

Short blacks coffee is consistently so perfect every time I come here, regardless of whether a young man brews it or the owner. Always makes my day of the weekend!
    Am yet to try a meal but they look healthy and delicious with plenty if vegetarian options, yay!

Oct 30, 2010

Coffees at $3, I come here fairly regularly. Staff a little inattentive, but always very polite. Average ambience, Borders next door is a great place to relax before/after.

Jun 11, 2010

The menu is pretty standard but the prices aren't too bad, the service could be improved upon though.

May 08, 2009

Fruit toast Fruit Salad and yoghurt - delicious

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!