Ripe

Wheelchair Access

Outdoor Dining

Add a Review for Ripe

User Reviews of Ripe, Sassafras

I love the ambience of this place more than anything. It's a small cosy cafe that specialises in focaccias and even has a bit of a deli/food shop happening inside.

The food is nothing particularly special although there's a nice range of focaccias and they make a great Lindt hot chocolate. However, service was kinda lacking. I waited about ten minutes for someone to come up and serve me even though they weren't particularly busy. Prices are good too.

It's a good place for catch up with friends over a coffee or a quiet coffee time alone and there's even some books on the shelves for you to read.

Jul 18, 2010

As a local, have been going here nearly weekly for a few years and I adore it! The chai latte is delicious, and the coffees and hot chocolates are always good. The cakes are amazing. We usually have a baguette, but have been for brekky and lunch a few times recently. Last time for lunch, five of us all had something different and every one of us enjoyed our meals. They can get a little busy sometimes especially at peak times. Spot on George, keep it up!

Jun 25, 2010

I arranged to meet some friends at this restaurant on the weekend. The service and quality of the meals were very questionable. I ordered the prawn risotto which had about 3 whole prawns and about 6 prawn tails. I have never experienced such a thing, am still quite shocked that the kitchen staff/restuaranter thought that would be acceptable to serve up for a meal. I won't be going back. Also bad toilet smell on the decking.

May 20, 2010

I have come to this little cafe for years, and it never fails to disappoint. The coffee is always tasty and hot, the baguettes are simple, delicious and filling, and the meals are excellent value. They make an effort to support local produce, and it makes a difference to the quality and taste of the meal. I have never had a bad meal, even the soups are always interesting, with a delicious complexity. The staff are always attentive but do get busy so try and be patient! You will be well rewarded!

Mar 28, 2010

Slow service, burnt coffee and salami baguette had plastic in it.

Mar 06, 2010

Sadly Ripe has gone downhill since it it changed hands a few years ago. We went there on saturday for breakfast and were told that there was no mushrooms and no orange juice. This was when the food came out! We should have been told asap, so that we may have chosen something else.

Mar 01, 2010

Excellent breakfast this morning. Good selection. Great service. I'd highly recommend Ripe.

Jan 03, 2010

I don't know what else everyone is talking about? This is my favourite restaurant, and all of my friends and family agree! Whenever we catch up for lunch it's guaranteed we'll go to Ripe. The staff are always so friendly and go so far out of your way to make your meal enjoyable. If I had one complaint it would be there's one girl who comes round every two minutes and asks if "everything's okay" but if the only complaint is the over friendly staff, they're laughing! The food, coffee, cake and service are impeccable!

Dec 26, 2009

We have been to Ripe a few times for breakfast and lunch. I feel so mixed about it and am not sure why I keep going back. The real chocolate chunks in the mocha may be one reason. They have ultra gourmet food with fresh specials for a menu daily, all of which have unusual combinations of special ingredients. I have to say I have always felt irritated with the place, in part because the servers seem to be too cool for school, making people feel lucky to be there.

The menu is irritating to me because I rarely find something that I find appetising despite, or because of, the gourmet combinations. There is communal seating in the back 'glass house' that is potluck as far as who you are seated with and weather you might enjoy the experience. Inside the seating is cramped.

Jan 01, 2009

We used to go here a lot and we loved it. This was the place we came for our first and so far only baby free lunch but lately we've been disappointed. Service used to be a highlight, it's been appalling the last two times we've visited, mistake after mistake with meals and drinks. We rang a few weeks ago to organise some take away baguettes, something we've done a lot in the past and they told us they were too busy and we should ring back in a few hours. Needless to say, we won't bother again.

Aug 27, 2007

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!