Orange

Has Bar
Outdoor Dining

Add a Review for Orange

User Reviews of Orange, Windsor

Simply the worst restaurant I have ever been to - period. Staff were unbelievably rude and arrogant (I have no idea why?!) and the food was uninspiring and very expensive (relative to what it was). Avoid at all costs.

May 01, 2010

I have been to Orange approx 10 times for coffee, and I have never experienced such blatantly rude staff in my life. I will never go back to Orange. Others across the road has far better coffee and lovely cheery chatty staff. I have many many peers who share the same view. I have no idea what all the hype is about.

Aug 19, 2009

Food was great, albeit very rich. The chocolate fondant was great as were the special lamb shanks. Having only 1 Shiraz by the glass at $13 and not pouring a full amount (150ml) was poor form. Took ages to order food, but it came quickly though. The waiting staff seemed a bit above the customers and unattentive. We got the impression that they were a bit snobby. And they cleared plates before everyone had finished.

Jun 15, 2009

Have been to orange a number of times. Some for breakfast, some for coffee, some for lunch. Have always found the staff to be attentive and food to be focussed on quality rather than quantity. If you are a big eater who is impressed by larger serves, I'd suggest you order some sides and be prepared to cough up a few more bucks.

Definitely not a place for cheap and cheerful, but if you are looking for a nice meal that breaks away from your standard cafe fare then Orange is well worth a look. The one pan breakfast with chorizo and feta is highly recommended!

Mar 30, 2009

Myself and my partner ate at Orange a few weeks ago on a relatively quiet Saturday evening to celebrate a friend's birthday. We had booked a table for 6, however, as is sometimes the case 2 extras arrived and we became an 8. This put out the waiting staff from the off and we were squeezed onto the table set for 6 despite there being a number of free tables. These remained free during the entire time we were there.

Now, I've done my stint of waiting tables, and I know the best way to get cash out of customers is to make them want to stay, to drink more (that's where most of your profits are guys!) and to make them want to come back. Constantly huffing and puffing to get past after you sat us at too small a table is not conducive to making us feel welcome or likely going to encourage a return.

All in all the service was among the worst I have come across the world over. Our waiter may have missed out on the How To Serve Drinks At Table 101 while learning his trade, as four times he nearly took the nose off my partner while she was trying to eat her meal.

A friend inquired with another waiter about getting a side of potatoes to go with her fish, to which she was told "NON" as only a French ex-pat waiter can articulate in as snooty a manner as possible. The food was alright on my end, I had on-the-bone roasted chicken and it was great, if a little small after a day on my feet. My partner had the most buttery pasta dish imaginable and we both had to raid the fridge when we arrived home, a destination we couldn't hurry to sooner! In fact go anywhere else but this place!

Dec 17, 2008

Lovely food - highly recommended! Service was a little slow, very intimate seating.

Jun 26, 2008

My wife and I recently had the great misfortune to choose Orange to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Even though we had made a reservation a week in advance we got 'bumped' into the adjoining bar area to eat.

The ambience was ...well we sat about four feet from the door in an open area, with a draft wind coming through carrying with it plumes of cigarrette smoke from the tables outside. The tables are only big enough for a plate and we were squashed so close to the people next to us that we may have well been sitting at their table. So much for conversation- the music inside was pure doof doof bar - great setting - NOT.

It took more than 25mins to get a menu and more than 45mins to get an entree served. The mains took well over an hour and a half. I ordered a main serve of pasta that had about 3 full mouthfuls of pasta in the bowl- when I questioned the waiter if it were a main course, I got the sort of response you would expect from some stuck up person - not a waiter.

So to top it off, we sat in the cold, sucked up cigarette smoke for the whole night, paid way too much for just average food that took way too long to arrive on the tables and had to endure staff that have got no idea.

Would I recommend it? No. It's a very nice setting (on Chapel St) and the main part of the restaurant looks nice, but it is impossible to enjoy dining when you are in a bar sitting on top of the person at the next table whilst you balance your meal and a drink on a bar table.

They would have a change of management and crew, and a massive change of attitude before I ever contemplated recommending this place to anyone. Save your money, keep walking down Chapel street a little further, there are plenty of great new restaurants to try.

May 09, 2008

We Sydneysiders had a meal at Orange on a recent visit and were quite pleased. The staff were friendly and the food was nice. The atmosphere was fun and lively. Good value for money for what we had.

Oct 04, 2007

I have gone to Orange several times and sometimes felt that you really need to be part of the scene to be well treated by some of the staff. A little too cool for school but it is close to where I live. The last time I went was very disappointing. The food ordered was not served, we had to send back undercooked prawns. The rest of the meal was incorrect. The waiter was very apologetic and offered to discount our meal. Unfortunately the staff was needed to put that through the till, this meant he was called away from chatting from friends. No discount was given, which was strange but the rudeness of his reasoning was insulting. I haven't been able to go back.

Oct 23, 2006

A very popular spot. Very busy all day. Where people who have grown tired of St Kilda go for good food, good wine and good service. Knowledgable sommeliers. Fantastic steak. The goats cheese stuffed mushrooms are great too. Bookings recommended.

Jul 26, 2006