Khan Mongolian Bar-B-Q Restaurant

thekhanmongolianbbq@hotmail.com

Chinese

Add a Review for Khan Mongolian Bar-B-Q Restaurant

User Reviews of Khan Mongolian Bar-B-Q Restaurant, Melbourne CBD

My partner and I Love this place, although we don't return as often as we like because it is a little too far to travel for food for us. (we have been 4 or 5 times in the last year).

As for the other reviews, Get over the decor, yes its old and could do with a make-over but it doesn't affect the food whatsoever, for us it merely makes the restaurant a little quirky. I don't know why people are complaining about the entree bar, the steamed rice is sticky (how it should be, to be eaten with chopsticks) and the other entrees are great.

And then we come to the BBQ, I love the fact that I can add as much/little vegies as I want and the sauce is a bit of a trial and error thing, you do it once and if its too salty, the next bowl you add less soy sauce etc its all about personal choice. And the choice of meat is superb, pork, lamb, beef and chicken, who could ask for a better variety. Not to forget that the bar is stocked and the staff are great too.

I would definitely recommend the fried ice cream for dessert! (just be prepared to wait 10 minutes because they need the oil to be super hot to fry it.)

This restaurant isn't flashy but the food is great (and cheap) and it's all you can eat. Give it a go!

Aug 24, 2011

Despite the aged, tacky decor and the fowl entree bar, the Mongolian BBQ itself was great. I loved it. Stay away from that entree bar though.

Feb 03, 2010

I think this Mongolian BBQ restaurant is nowhere nearly as good as the one in Sydney. It's cheaper but the food wasn't as fresh and the ambience wasn't as nice. Unfortunately, it is the only Mongolian BBQ place in Melbourne (as far as I know...).

Oct 05, 2009

I've always enjoyed going to The Khan, usually 2-4 times a year, and I've never had any serious complaints. I do recommend completely skipping the "entrees" as they are always horrible (chicken wings, chicken corn soup, spring rolls, fried rice). Just get some steamed rice (or not) and eat it with the place's raison d'être, which is the BBQ.

The BBQ is very good, and it takes a couple of goes the first time you go there to figure out how much to put in the bowl for the chef, possibly the source of complaints in other reviews about half of their food ending up on the floor? Decor and ambience is pretty average. Doesn't look like the place has been redecorated since it was opened, but I enjoy the BBQ aspect enough to ignore the decor and non-entrees.

Not the kind of place to go to every day, or every week, but as a treat a handful of times a year I always enjoy it.

Aug 30, 2009

This place is seriously foul, the decore is due for a refurb, the floors were filthy and there was a small fly in one of the sauces "sugar water". The entree bar was absolutely disgusting, a combination of glutenous corn soup, expired fallafel balls and rancid fried chicken.

The fried rice tasted like it had been left out for a while and so did the plain rice. The BBQ itself was mediocre to say the least, you choose from a freezer of "frozen" meats and then move onto semi stale vegies to top this off. The whole meal costed around $52 for 2 people and drinks.

Jul 12, 2009

We had not been to this restaurant for a couple of years and had previously really enjoyed it. This time round we were disgusted. We knew it was going to be a bad night when the first 16 plates we picked up were filthy, the entree bar had chicken and sweetcorn soup that not one of the 6 people who were with us could eat, it was foul.

When tried some fried chicken wings I don't know what they were cooked in, maybe the oil was a couple of years old, they were rancid in fact I spat out the first bite I had! so we gave up on the entrees and went for the bbq. We found this to be lack lusting as well, half of our food ended up on the floor and the bbq itself was covered in grease, and the floor was putrid, half of the meat we had selected came off the bbq raw. We were very disappointed. Gone are the great memories of fantastic food and fun at this place.

Sep 21, 2008

Maybe it was the Monday that did it for us, but this was one of the worst experiences we have had food-wise. The one waitress was attentive and since only 2 tables were full, we had no issues there. The decor is more Chinese than Mongolian, but does have an general Asian feel to it.

The entree were good, except for the soup which was near-inedible. There are limited choices for the "Mongolian BBQ" and 10 sauces that can be added to the mix before being cooked. This was exciting, but that is where the place lost it. Obviously the overturned "shield" was too hot. And on top of that, 1/2 of the contents of the bowl made their way to the floor, followed by the sauces. And to top it off, whatever made its way to the bowl was burnt, rendering it near-inedible.

The restaurant may be cheap-ish and all-you-can-eat, but definitely worth the pain of a ruined evening. But I will definitely try the Mongolian BBQ at a better place! Looks like a great concept!

Nov 13, 2007

This is a different kind of all you can eat restaurant. It has a concept where they cook your food on a 'shield' right infront of you in an attempt to simulate traditional mongolian warrior cooking methods. Firstly, you choose your meat (frozen thin sliced), then vegetables, then sauces and then they cook it! The staff were friendly and it was a good night out. If you're looking for something a little different then you may want to try this restaurant. It was a lot of fun compared to the same old sit down restaurants. It also won't send you broke costing around $20 pp.

Aug 08, 2007

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!