E Gusto

bookings@egusto.com.au

Italian

Add a Review for E Gusto

User Reviews of E Gusto, Southbank

Possibly one of the worst restaurant meals I have had for a long time. The food was almost inedible, the calamari was soggy and was served on some sort of a peanut sauce thing, absolutely revolting. My husbands carbonara was swimming in sauce and had way too much garlic. What happened to the e gusto of years gone by? I remember it as a really good place to get a genuine Italian meal, now the menu is a mismatch of different cuisines, pasta with curry? Huh?! All bad.

Jun 30, 2010

This used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but upon my recent return I was appalled to discover that the quality of their signature dishes has declined to foodcourt level. Bland sauces and unevenly cooked food are the perfect way to ruin one of the best locations in the city.

Feb 14, 2010

Wait staff didn't explain that two pasta items on the menu were not available until after we received our drinks. The unavailable items were the reasons we selected E Gusto on the first place. The bruschetta was terrible (and cold), the minestrone was more like a watery vegetable soup, the ragu was full of cheap, commerical pasta which had been overcooked and the seafood risotto included mussels which had not opened. The ultimate insult was no amendment to the bill when this was pointed out.

Given the current economic climate, flu scare travel warnings and high lease for the Southbank venue, one wonders how this place manages to stay open.

Jun 07, 2009

Not a pleasant experience. Dirty glasses, blunt knives, people who came after us served before us and the strawberry crepes, which are described in the menu as being 'covered with fresh strawberries' only had half of a strawberry in the whole dish. Disappointing.

Jan 30, 2009

Raw fish, tough cutlets, microwaved rice, wine-1/6 of wine glass, seated 3 people (had booked one week ago) at a table for 2. Another table had 2 people seated for a table for 4. Food awful, service bad, will never go back. This place used to be fantastic. Caters to tourists who will never come!

Jan 11, 2009

Without a doubt the worst food and the worst service l have ever experienced !

Jan 07, 2009

Avoid at all costs and never ever order the bruschetta. An Italian restaurant lost, with no semblance to such. Our waitress did not know what Spaghetti Carbonara was and the profiteroles were hard and the cream inside frozen. This so called restaurant is a glorified Sofia's. The only positive is the great location. Expect to see on Ramsay's kitchen nightmares.

Jan 02, 2009

I dined here with my 7 yr daughter recently. We did not have a booking. We were looking for somewhere for dinner whilst waiting for a 7.30 start to the ballet at Hamer Hall. We were greeted in a friendly manner and shown promptly to a table - not a great spot but can't complain as had no booking and it was full of reserved tables. Drink orders were quickly taken and delivered and meals ordered at the same time.

The childrens menu was unimpressive and she wanted steak so I ordered the eye fillet ($33). Waiter kindly agreed to serve with chips rather than mash. I ordered veal special. Meals arrived in reasonable time frame. The veal was OK but very small serving and a tad overdone but nice sauce and accompanied by decent serve of rice.

Steak was well done and we had ordered medium. She was only able to eat half as it was so tough - normally could have finished a steak of this size when cooked medium. The accompanying chips were of a very poor standard - I was surprised that a side of chips of such quality was offered for $6.

We were ignored after meals delivered - no offer of drinks. Plates were not cleared depite us both sitting there clearly finished. Staff passed by the table at least 6 times before I could get their attention and ask for a bill which did arrive promptly.
    I would not go back.

Dec 25, 2008

I ate here just last week and was so excited as I hadn't been in ages and I remembered how much I loved it! I wish I had read the comments below before I went, food was awful. The portion of veal that my friend got was shameful. I cannot stand paying for food that has no flavour. I will never go back! Very disappointing.

Dec 09, 2008

Its strange to see how many bad reviews there are of this once very popular Italian restaurant.

Only as recently as last year 2007, they used to serve very good pasta dishes. One outstanding dish is the Spaghettie Marinara, which had all the right taste, texture and ingredients too make it a highlight dish. The other pasta that had my coming back for more was the Carbonara. Delicately cut bacon, just right creamy, eggy sauce, well cooked pasta.

Fast forward to around mid-late 2008 upon showing some other friend to this place, the food has certainly gone down hill. Mushy pasta, weird taste even in the sauces. Also heard next table complaining about their pasta as well. For their own sake, they should get rid of the majority of Indian chefs working in there, who have no knowledge of what is good or not as a meal...

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed how bad the food has become here. Used to be an 8-9/10 experience. What are the owners thinking?

Nov 18, 2008

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!