Collins Kitchen

Jason Camillo

Prices $$$$

Average Meal Price $68 - based on one entree & main course only

Breakfast
Our famous breakfast buffet features an enormous array of dishes served from the open kitchens and is sure to satisfy any taste. This is ultimate way to start your day!

Entrees $11.00-$36.00
Mains $12.00-$50.00
Desserts $16.00-$32.00
Melbourne’s finest lunchtime feast is available from Monday - Friday for only $38 per person. Visit the live cooking stations, interact with chefs, while sampling cuisine straight from the pan, off the grill or from the wok!

Entrees $10.00-$30.00
Mains $16.00-$80.00
Desserts $16.00-$32.00

Others
Drinks $9.00-$18.00

Prices last updated:  07/2012

Bookings

To make a reservation at Collins Kitchen, please telephone +613 9653 4831 or email ghmelbourne.collinskitchen@hyatt.com

No of Rooms 548

Chef's Table
The Chefs table seats up to 10 persons and is positioned directly off the show kitchen, allowing diners a closer experience of the theatrical show of the chefs.
Seating Capacity 10

Private Kitchen Room
A variety of set menus are available for Private Dining, which are recommended for groups of 8 or more. Dishes are designed for sharing.
Seating Capacity 14

Mon to Sun 6:30am - 10:30am
Mon to Sun Noon - 2:30pm
Mon to Sun 5pm - 10:30pm

Strict Dress Code

No Shorts, No open toe sandals, Neat Casual!

Wheelchair Access

City View

Diners
EFTPos

Notes

Management reserves the right to refuse entry!

Collins Kitchen Awards

2011

Best Business Hotel in Melbourne 2011

2011

Melbourne’s Best Bar (AHA)

2010

Best Hotel Refurbishment (HM)

2009

Victoria Best Venue with Accommodation (MEA)

2009

Greatest Owners Investment (AHA)

more…

Overview of Collins Kitchen

Collins Kitchen, located within the spectacular surrounds of Grand Hyatt Melbourne, offers an interactive dining experience with an open show-kitchen. Watch as chefs create food from five different dining concepts, including grill, wok, sushi, deli and patisserie.

With an emphasis on local and organic produce, Collins Kitchen offers simple and authentic, global cuisine. Breakfast and Sunday Brunch are served open-kitchen, buffet style for you to enjoy at your leisure, and a la carte menus are offered for lunch, dinner and all day dining. A traditional afternoon tea is offered daily. An express lunch menu is also available, offering a quick solution for a business lunch or catch up with friends and includes a glass of wine.

Add a Review for Collins Kitchen

User Reviews of Collins Kitchen, Melbourne CBD

Trying to decide what to write my first blog about seriously hurt my head. Actually… it kind of hurt my tummy more thinking in anticipation of all these delicious places that I wanted to shares with my peeps. So I finally came to my decision to write about a restaurant that has a special place in my heart and stomach - a restaurant that I frequent, to begin a lazy weekend day… that I even dream about, that’s how much I like love this place. Extreme I know… but if I had to marry a breakfast it would be the breakfast at Collins Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne.

It’s absolutely so tres delicious that I have now converted all my foodie friends!
    For those of you who are still living in the Stone Age, the Grand Hyatt Melbourne underwent a $45 million redevelopment and the opening of Collins Kitchen brought a new dining concept to the city. The new concept for Melbourne is based on the Mezza9 restaurant at the Hyatt in Singapore. Basically there’s nothing comparable to this in the city. An impressive open kitchen is the showpiece of the restaurant, and acts as a blank canvas where chefs become the artists working from their centre-stage, the kitchen.

Guests are able to walk through the kitchens for a dynamic and interactive experience. Food God (sing it hallelujah!) and Executive Chef Jason Camillo leads a team of chefs (aka his disciples) who create these heavenly dishes from the multiple food concepts - including Sushi, Deli, Grill, Wok and Patisserie. I don’t think it’s too hard to guess which one is my favourite. Actually I don’t have a favourite because I seriously love them all. So before I get into my review, what makes Collins Kitchen fab is that it offers simple, authentic food using the finest local and organic produce, but their special emphasis on visual food displays adds a special touch that makes dining at Collins Kitchen such an experience!

So now time for the juicy part… the review… I am only reviewing the breakfast today, but do stay tuned for high tea, brunch and dinner reviews at Collins Kitchen!

Details: Collins Kitchen Breakfast
    Cost: $38

As I have taught most my friends, brekkie at Collins Kitchen is all about timing, and of course being hungry enough to try everything! I am like V.I.P so I don’t have to worry about this, but a coveted booth is prime seating in the restaurant. Bookings are not taken for brekkie so getting in at an early-ish time is best… Trust me. Especially seeing there is so much nice food to try, you do not want to be like rushed and be full after one bite of your Persian Fetta Omelette… Are mouths watering yet? I know my editor B’s is!

Arrive 8am: Get attention of hot waiter and try to be seated in a booth overlooking Collins Street… as mentioned this is prime real estate. On the way in grab whichever newspaper tickles your fancy to peruse during brekkie. Once seated, order DSL (Decaf Soy Latte) or your drink of choice. You will all quickly come to learn, if you all don’t already know, that all I drink is decaf soy lattes… Hermes!

8.15am: After sipping your delish DSL, the anticipation will be getting to you and your stomach, so now it’s time to hit the brekkie.

Stop One: Fruits and Cereals

I just j’adore the Deli station… this is the appetiser of the brekkie. There is:
    - Fresh squeezed juices - Apple, Orange, Watermelon, Grapefruit and Tomato
    - Fresh fruit - too many to name, the strawberries are always so sweet!! (A chef seriously stands there replenishing the bowl)
    - Gippsland’s Dairy Organic Yoghurt in mini tubs– for yoghurt connoisseurs out there this is top notch stuff!
    - Granola – OMG this is the best granola ever…
    - Bircher Muesli
    - Cereals and such as

The Ashalicious way to start the day is with a big bowl of granola topped with fresh strawberries and soy milk. It’s like to die! So there is no need to rush, but you would have seen chefs in their stations preparing food in other areas but peeps this is not Smorgies and you defs do not put delicious food from all cooking stations on the one plate. That is like a mortal sin and I will totally disown you if you do. Ok, it feels good to get that off my chest. Time to move on to the next course!

8.40: By about now I would be channelling my second DSL but that’s just me. I love coffee. The next part of the tasting sensation takes you on an adventure from Persia to Rome.

Stop Two: Deli

Tempo di mangiare formaggi, salumi e pane! Oooops, mi dispiace wrong language! So as you probably see, this section consists of cheese, cured meats, breads, nuts and everything cheese platter esque related. I normally go totally ridicks when it comes to anything mentioned above, however, like my other foodie conneseuir A.Nunn we apparently have high cholesterol (well I actually do, yes I got it checked out by my hot GP Dr Hottie). So I have been forced to detour the DELI when I hit up Collins Kitchen... but sometimes I just cannot resist my King Island Double Brie and Persian Feta.

So the specs are as follows:
    - Cheese – varieties are King Island Double Brie, Maffra Cheddar, Sapphire Blue, Yarra Valley Persian Feta
    - Cured Meats – San Daniel Prosciutto and other salamis and cured meats
    - Accompaniments & Condiments – your usual seasonal fruit, nuts, honey and such as

It is very easy to go a bit crazy with all the cheese so make sure you PACE yourself and leave room for what follows!

9am-ish: This is where Egg’n fun begins. When you head back into the kitchen area, you will be blown away by the handsome honey glazed Champagne hams that are ready to be carved and served. In the Stove area you can get any egg brekkie you like made. I’m usually an omelette girl, actually a Persian Feta Omelette (PFO) girl… It’s like I die and go to heaven every time I eat it. I suggest you try a PFO because this is the perfect op to. The chefs will cook the eggs for you any way and to perfection. The two condiments I cannot live without, Tabasco and Edmund Fallot Mustard, are in abundance so there is no need to BYO like a povvo. Yes, I have seen that before when I head down to Grand Mecure Hadleys in Tassie for work (aka Faulty Towers).

The low down on the Stove is as follows:

Stop Three: Stove
    - Free range eggs – any style
    - Champagne ham
    - Sides of Otway bacon, tomato, button mushroom, chicken sausages and the most delicious roasted potatoes with red onion ever!!
    - Eggs Benedict
    - Get the jist?

9.30am-ish: By now you start to think to yourself… Why did I wear my skinny leg jeans today? I am not a big eater, but I always make an exception when I visit Collins Kitchen because there is too much delicious food I cannot say no to… It’s just tres rude to!

Now it’s time to channel into your inner Su Lin (aka Asian alter ego) and jump on the Orient Express. Go say ‘wei’ to the Iron Chef hand making delicate, yet so juicy and delicious dumplings. Some people are like so anti Chinese food for brekkie but the sui mai are addictive! Below is what you can expect:

Stop Four: Steamer
    - Steamed dim sum – consisting of prawn dumpling, pork and prawn dumpling and Barbeque Pork Buns (A.Nunn’s fav)… and rivalling many CBD yum cha contenders
    - Congee
    - Chicken Noodle Soup

10am: Now you start to reminisce about all the amazing food you have eaten so far… But stop right there, thank you very much… It’s not over yet. We still need to hit up the Patisserie, which secretly is my favourite as I have such a sweet tooth. Before getting up to go inspect, order another DSL or sometimes I even channel an espresso to help soothe the stomach, so it’s ready by the time you get back. There are so many amazing pastries and cakes at brekkie time but you will die when you see the Patisserie during High Tea or Brunch Sessions (I will review these as a later date). They also bake the yummiest, tiny choc chip cookies, and if you time yourself perfectly you can get them fresh out of the oven. These are usually reserved for High Tea and Brunch guests, but smile and flash some sugar at the pastry chef and they are all yours! So make room for:

Stop Five: Patisserie
    - Freshly baked croissants, Danishes and muffins
    - Made to order pancakes – with wither berry compote or whipped cream
    - Made to order waffles – with cream and maple syrup
    - Choc chip cookies
    - Banana Bread
    - Carrot Bread
    - And the list goes on and on and on oh my!

10.30am-ish: Congrats..you have now come over to the dark side and committed one of the ‘seven deadly sins’ – gluttony. But my god, wasn’t it worth it? So, as brekkie draws to a close, you begin to wish you could take these super masterchefs home with you… permanently! But life isn’t that perfect hey. FYI – because of the pure opulence of this grand Brekkie, you will not require lunch, afternoon tea, or even dinner for some… Maybe perhaps a just liquid one would be tres approps – did someone say Aperol?

So, have I tickled your tastebuds? Tempted your tummies? I do hope so, because guys you are totally missing out if you have never been. Take my advice and go! It will be the best $38 you will ever spend… Trust!

blogRead more on my blog

Apr 03, 2011

Ate here for dinner and for breakfast. Dinner was average and service was slow as we were eating in the lobby area behind the main section. Breakfast all-you-can-eat was a smorgasbord of cooked-fresh-omelette, Chinese dim sum, bircher muesli, fresh sliced hams, fresh baked croissants and brioches. Any type of bread toasted or fresh. The only gripe I have is with the coffee, which tasted as though it was made from a vending machine.

Jan 05, 2011

For me, there are so many interesting and varied eating options within a block or two of this place that it is hard to see why anyone would choose to dine here unless they were too lazy to leave the hotel (like the people who invited me to meet them there).

We had breakfast. It is a good space with plenty of room and comfortable seating. Service was an issue, we had to wave and wave and wave to get someone's attention after being allowed to sit with the menus for about 20 minutes.

The food is OK. Nothing more, nothing less. You are paying a lot for what you get, in fact I could have walked out to the rear laneway and had the same plate of food for half the price at one of the many cafes in Flinders Lane. Not for me.

Dec 03, 2010

A dish I often enjoy is one of slow cooked lamb shanks. At the Collins Kitchen the offering served was barely edible, dry and overcooked. The animated theatre of the open kitchen was a wonderful distraction, sadly the only component of dinner providing any enjoyment was the full bodied shiraz that would have undoubtedly complimented the dish.

My comments were passed on to the restaurant manager and a follow up letter was mailed out a few days later. The Manager of Food and Beverage was gracious enough to respond and apologise for the dinner experience and extended an invitation to myself and a guest to enjoy an afternoon high tea which was graciously accepted.

As to the quality of the latter there is always room for improvement in my opinion- it is all in the detail and there are many restaurants/cafes I have visited that come close to achieving perfection in the delivery of their product.

Jul 23, 2010

Recently dined in here with a group friends for a birthday I had not been to the hotel since all the renovations had been completed and wow what a difference it has made. Another friend suggested we start with a drink in the bar next door RUCO which has an amazing wine wall and do great cocktails.

Since there was a large group of us our friendly waiter suggested we do a Sharing Menu. This meant we got to try lots of different dishes and everything was really delicious. Definitely recommend trying this restaurant. I was really impressed with the level of service the staff provided.

Apr 23, 2010

The place looks great. I love it when I can see the kitchen and see whats going on. Unfortunately, the food was terrible. My fiance ordered the lasagna. The cheese was so strong it overpowered everything else on the table. It stank actually. We hardly touched it. My $50 steak was so salty, I had to cut the outsides off and eat the middle part only, but I think by then my tastebuds where completely numb.

We were thinking about returning the meals but by then both our appetites were gone. Our waitress did not ask about our meal, because I think she could read it all on our faces and was too afraid to ask. Later on that night we went down the street and had a bowl of noodles, which we enjoyed a lot more. We could still taste that cheese though! yikes!

Apr 12, 2010

We Love the food at this restaurant, it is consistently good and we have visited often. The Angus Beef Burger is sensational and the Fried Onion Rings are a favourite. Not a place to take your children, but that can be a benefit for those couples needing a break.

Feb 16, 2010

Collins Kitchen Collins Kitchen Booth seatin in Collins Kitchen Private Dining Room Chinese Wok Station Antipasto Grilled Haloumi Collins Kitchen Dessert Platter Grill Express Lunch Gourmet Pizza Sushi Smoked duck breast Salmon cakes Prawns « 1 of 14 photos »