Bank, The (Closed)

Has Bar

Add a Review for The Bank

User Reviews of The Bank, Yarraville

Page: 1 2 3 Next

The menu looked great, the decor was nice, so we thought it was worth a try, which it was. I wouldn't say I'm in a hurry to go back though. Food was nice, but nothing outstanding. I ordered a eggplant side, which was way too hot (probably horseradish), and I didn't end up eating it, nothing was mentioned about how hot it was on the menu.

At least they asked me why I didn't eat it, and they offered me a refund (which I refused, as I assume that is how it was meant to be, and I just don't like really hot dishes). My partner had the steak, which he said was ok, but the Jus was way too sweet. I had the pie, which was really just a pie, nothing special. Prices were ok, but for the price we probably expecting a bit more.

Dec 19, 2011

Consistently excellent food every visit, I have regularly visited Over the last few years and am happy to travel across the city to enjoy the food. My latest visit was with the head chef of a prestigous s.aust. Restaurant and despite visiting some of melbournes top ten restaurants while here, he rated the bank as his favourite food. Well worth checking it out.

Apr 26, 2011

Overpriced considering other places that are within a stones throw of this joint. Very disappointing. King Prawns totally tasteless and they cost $32, which I don't mind paying for good seafood but this was a disgrace. The kangaroo was overcooked (a definite no) and their idea of a huge wine list, had a lot of gaps. The staff were very pretentious and acting as if the place is a 5 star restaurant. The prices are of the equivalent but the rest is not. Will not be going back!

Jan 13, 2011

I keep going back to the Bank every few months, just to give it another try in the hope that it will get better, but each time I leave disappointed and tellingly I never order a dessert (which is an occurance that is practically unheard of in my life).

The problem is Yarraville has a high standard of restaurants and The Bank just doesn't live up to it, the service is friendly but the staff have no knowledge of whats on the menu, you just get confused looks and 'I'll just have to ask the chef', it looks cosy inside but is so devoid of atmosphere as there are no customers (ever), the menu seems enticing, but their flavours just aren't there, and on top of all that, it is over priced. So I can't recommend it as there are better places to go only a few footsteps up or down the street, sorry Bank.

Aug 12, 2010

The best meal out we have had in a long time and the best service we have had in years!

Aug 12, 2010

Cosy little place with a decent selection of wine. The entree olive oil infused with rosemary and ciabatta bread, while simple, was magnificent. However, the rest of the meal was way below average. The swordfish was slightly undercooked but the pasta was awful. As an Italian and avid pasta consumer there is no way anyone can get away with serving packet durum wheat pasta for $22 and to offer it with an insipid, tomato based sauce you'd serve school kids in an under par canteen was unforgivable.

If you go, stick with the ciabatta and a glass of wine.

Apr 25, 2010

We dropped in for a snack. The staff were well informed about the wine list and were relaxed and friendly.

Nov 22, 2009

We discovered the bank a month ago and have already been back for a second visit. What a find! While the menu is not huge they know how to offer variety and so what they do they do very well. The tasting plate is a delight and the mains wonderful. Can recommend the pork belly. I'm salivating as I write this and can't wait to go back again and again. Service is attentive and informative without being intrusive. The Bank is a hidden gem and is now one of our favourite restaurants.

Nov 07, 2009

I had a lovely Sunday lunch here with a friend recently. It is spacious with pleasant decor and an elegant but comfortable feel. Our roast dinner was excellent, properly cooked and well presented. Service was very pleasing, value for money too. Will definitely return to this restaurant.

Oct 28, 2009

The Bank is a bit of an 'undiscovered' gem. For some reason it doesn't seem to attract the same level of patronage that some other Yarraville restaurants attract, which might be related to the lack of visibility into the restaurant from the street. But, once inside, it's a lovely, elegant space with great food! They even look after kids with a kid friendly option on the menu.

Sep 02, 2009

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!