Meadow Inn Hotel

Meadow Inn Hotel doesn't have enough review data for a recommendation based on its 4 reviews

7.3

Child Friendly Play Area

Add a Review for Meadow Inn Hotel

User Reviews of Meadow Inn Hotel, Fawkner

Food  8      Drinks  7      Ambience  7      Service  6      Value  8

The food is traditional pub fare and usually good value for money. I have been eating here regularly for the last few months and reasonably happy with the meals, the only exception was during my last visit when I tried the steak and lobster special for $29.90. Greatly disappointed with the lobster which was rather small (barely 4 mouthfuls) utterly bland and dry as if it had been boiled for hours. Should have stuck with the steaks and Parmas that are always good and cost less.

Aug 03, 2011

Food  8      Drinks  8      Ambience  8      Service  8      Value  8

This pub is less than a kilometre from our house, so it's our staple venue when we feel like venturing out for a meal with the kids and not having to drive for miles. We've been coming here for around 12 years now, and have seen the pub develop through its various incarnations.

The dining area is quite large, but nonetheless reasonably warm and inviting due to moderate lighting and earthy brown tones. The "upper" area is smaller than the lower area, but more inviting, and sometimes has a gas-log fire going, plus floor-to-ceiling windows to watch the world go by (which, alas, is mainly the passing traffic on Hume highway).

The food itself is quite good for bistro fare, but I agree with another reviewer who says that larger groups might see less-than-ideal timing with meal delivery. Even with our family of 5 we have occasionally experienced one of the meals coming some 5 minutes after the others.

My main criticism is the food choices are all a little too "safe" and conventional (steak, parma, spag bol, lasagne, etc) and there is nothing particularly exciting or adventurous on the menu. For example, there are no curries (Indian or Thai), no exotic meats (say a Kangaroo or Crocodile), none of that. There have been in the past, but the menu has gradually become more and more conservative seemingly each time the bistro gets renovated. It's good Aussie pub fare, but can get a little monotonous if you go more regularly than every few months.

On the plus side, the new kids' playground is fantastic (for kids), with several television screens scattered around showing the play-room via closed-circuit television. The kids playground has the usual climbing equipment and tunnels, plus a number of video games machines. Our kids are 4 and 7 and enjoy wandering back and forth between the table and the playground.

I have always found the staff at the bistro to be very polite and helpful. Was there recently for a big gathering and my only recommendation to them is that for big gatherings (or, perhaps, for everyone) they should use docket numbers or something to assist in the delivery of food. It becomes a bit of a schemozzle when a staff member brings a meal out and announces the meal to 40+ plus people to try and find out who it belongs to.

Jun 02, 2009

Food  6      Drinks  6      Ambience  7      Service  4      Value  6

A bit of a mixed experience here. Attended a family dinner here which consisted of a big group, however, the remainder of the bistro was quite empty. Positives were that the play area for kids was great, with tv screens around the bistro so that you could keep an eye on the kids in there.

The food in general seemed quite tasty and good value for money. The biggest negative was that they seemed to have a lot of trouble timing meals. Different groups ordered their meals individually so fair enough that the whole table didn't receive their meals at the same time, but there was a long wait on meals and my husband and I ordered our meals together and he received his 15 minutes before I did and mine came out with another couple's who'd ordered before my husband and I.

It seemed very disorganised. Don't know that I'd go back here again.

May 18, 2009

Food  9      Drinks  9      Ambience  7      Service  7      Value  10

A great suburban pub. A large menu and a play room for the grandchildren made this an excellent venue for some good old fashioned pub grub. I had one of the best mixed grills I have had in years and the meat was excellent and not overcooked. A couple of cold beers made the night and we will definitely be back.

Dec 07, 2008

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!