Fresh User Reviews in Melbourne

leenydee reviewed Degani Bakery Cafe, Wantirna South

Cafes, Bakeries, Serves Takeaway, Catering, Cake

Overall 3  1

Food  1      Coffee  6      Ambience  6      Service  1      Value  1

Well I had a raw piece of chicken in my paella. No apology, disgusting! I was turned off instantly! Never will I ever go back there. And I will tell others to avoid!

Apr 21, 2014

Kal R. reviewed Windows On The Bay Restaurant, Mordialloc

Restaurants, International, Modern Australian, Family Dining, Fine Dining

Overall 6.8  7

Windows by the bay features a relaxing environment due to the accompanied beach side view which elegantly contrasts the interior design. Food was presented in a professional manner which could be seen that appearance and ambiance played an important role throughout the restaurant.

Unfortunately despite appearances the food was unexpectedly bland with flavours not befitting of it's visage. Factoring in the exorbitant price, glamorous presentation and dissatisfactory strength of flavour the food overall was below my standard of expectation of such a restaurant. Windows by the bay appears to pride themselves about appearance but not functionality which can be further seen throughout their dysfunctional male toilets.

As I had to squeeze the lemon during my stay I decided to wander into the male cubicle to only be dumbfounded as despite my best efforts the toilet seat could not remain at an upright 90 degree angle. As the engineer that I am I devised an ingenious solution to these anti-piss friendly toilets and that was to use the one legged piss. Upon taking an almost karate combatant like stance I used the tip of my shoe to force the toilet seat against the wall while I focused my inner energy to both balance and relieve myself.

I can tell you that this is not easy, making the required distance with an accurate, precise aim while maintaining a stable balanced composure requires absolute 100% mental concentration. Despite my countless troubles, I thank you. Windows by the bay you have paved the road to a new craze, no... a new industry because of your dysfunctional anti-piss friendly toilets.

My colleagues and I were engrossed to such a deep level that the toilets became the centerpiece of our time at your restaurant where we discussed and performed alternate one legged techniques to further explore our creative and physical abilities. From this experience I believe I have grown as a person, an overall more knowledgeable and better person for this world, and for that I thank you. If needed I can provide a video of the basic technique used when performing the one legged piss for educational purposes.

As I previously stated this restaurant is all about appearance with zero functionality therefore my ratings are:
Ambiance: 9/10
Food: 5/10
Toilets 1/10
Becoming a better person: Priceless

Apr 21, 2014

Bars, Modern Australian, Good For Groups, Outdoor Dining, Serves Dinner

Overall 5.1  7

Drinks  1      Ambience  6      Service  1      Value  4

Really disappointing. Although I loved the decor and the food was delicious (although overpriced) the staff are amazingly rude and love cutting people off from the bar after only a couple of pints.

Mobile Review Apr 20, 2014

sneupesen reviewed Escagrill, Moonee Ponds

Restaurants, Italian, Seafood, Steak House, Restaurant Bookings

Overall 5.8  4

This is a nice albeit overpriced restaurant. The entree (Wakame oyster) was good not great. The main (steak) was overcooked although still enjoyable, with extremely salty chips as the side. The other side order of salad was forgotten.

The desserts (creme brûlée and choc fondant with inedible salted caramel ice cream) were just ok. Would I recommend taking a taxi from the city (as we did) based on its status as number 2 in Melbourne, as listed on Trip Advisor? Absolutely not.

Mobile Review Apr 20, 2014

Sundae reviewed Amigos Hardware Lane, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Mexican / Latin American, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Serves Takeaway

Overall 8.2  5

Authentic Mexican is a sensational delight. However, Amigos is no where close to authentic Mexican. I would call it "Tex Mex". In other words, a fast food version of real Mexican. Authentic Mexican sets the taste buds on an exciting race. Amigos blands down the spiciness to the extent it is ordinary. In not wanting to offend anyone with spice and racy taste they end up with a bland product. The serving sizes are good. The sangria is great, But the food is a big disappointment.

Sundae reviewed Meat & Wine Co, The, Hawthorn East

Restaurants, Steak House, Child Friendly Menus, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining

Overall 7.4  3

The ribs were exceedingly disappointing and this is why they have a low rating. I like the ambiance of the place. The menu is good and the wine selection excellent. We started with the Tasting Plate and it was excellent. Great bruschetta, loved the Sechuan calamari, prawns delish and the pork belly lovely. This set high expectations for the ribs. We ordered lamb and pork ribs and the Rockling. Both the lamb and pork ribs were really disappointing. We compared it to amazing ribs you can get in the USA and even in a significantly cheaper place, Big Boy BBQ in Hardware Lane, Melbourne. The sauce was very, very disappointing. It was simply char grilled and we expected much more. The service was also poor as we had to wait a long time to order the meal and drinks and they got the sides wrong. We won't be back.

Sundae reviewed Baristas 101, Melbourne CBD

Cafes, Outdoor Dining, Serves Takeaway

Overall 3.5  1

Coffee  2      Ambience  5      Service  4      Value  3

Ordered a short mac and a cafe latte. Both were disappointing. The latte was the worst I have had in Melbourne in a very long time. It was very weak and insipid. It's a great location so they sell heaps which seems to have resulted in taking the coffee making for granted. There is no table service. I will never go back.

Lilly C. reviewed Fergusson Restaurant, Yarra Glen

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 8.3  1

Fantastic - thank you so much for a wonderful day! We had a fabulous time!

Homeo67 reviewed Pelican Pantry, Hastings

Overall 8.7  2

Have been here several times now and I really love the place! The ambience is perfect - what more could you ask, looking over the jetty and beautiful Western Port Bay! The meals I've had here were lovely - well presented and just plain delicious. The service was also excellent and considering they were busy I still got the full attention of our waitress who couldn't be more friendlier and obliging. Please at least consider going here next time you are in Hastings - I guarantee you will be impressed.

Homeo67 reviewed Beach Hut Cafe, Hastings

Cafes, American Express

Overall 7.8  1

Food  7      Coffee  8      Ambience  6      Service  9      Value  9

This is a great place for an inexpensive meal - service is friendly and quick and coffee was nice. The food here is good and it`s also good value. I eat here often and always take friends here.

Homeo67 reviewed Arada Thai Restaurant, Hastings

Restaurants, Thai

Overall 7.6  3

Have been there several times now and it has been good each time. The food was brilliant and the service was good. Only complaint is the polished cement floor left a bit to be desired. It was noisy and it felt a little cold. Definitely would recommend it and I always take friends there.

Anthony S. reviewed Degani Bakery Cafe, Southbank

Cafes, Bakeries, Serves Breakfast, Serves Lunch, Serves Takeaway

Overall 8.5  1

Food  8      Coffee  8      Ambience  10      Service  8

Great place for a quick meal or a regular group catch up. Staff are sincerely friendly and the restaurant has a very family feel to it. Highly recommended.

Mobile Review Apr 14, 2014

tyrus11 reviewed Newmarket Hotel, St Kilda

Pubs, American - Californian, Mexican / Latin American, Good Wine List, Serves Dinner

Overall 7.9  8

Food  10      Drinks  10      Ambience  10      Service  9      Value  7

A little exxy, but damn good venue here guys. I love the fit out, the design is amazing, plus the food is exceptional. Love the soft shell tacos here. Definitely recommend anyone going to Melbourne make this a must stop! Enjoy the cocktails also, done very well.

tyrus11 reviewed Huxtable, Fitzroy

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Has Bar, Licensed, Serves Breakfast

Overall 8.7  8

Amazingly good food here at Huxtable. Love the name also. So 80's cool.
Whenever n Melbourne for work, I make sure we always get a spot here. Highly recommended.

Lilly C. reviewed Dumpling King, Box Hill

Restaurants, Chinese, Vegetarian, BYO, Licensed

Overall 5.8  21

Tasty dumplings. Good place for lunch with friends on the weekend.

Bars, Asian Fusion, Family Dining, Good For Groups, Child Friendly

Overall 1.1  2

Drinks  1      Ambience  1      Service  1      Value  1

I wish I could give a review of 0 stars! The worst place I have ever eaten. The 'hot food' was cold and the 'cold food' was warm. Within half an hour of starting to eat I was already running to the toilet. The 'live music' was the worst sounding backing cd with a terrible old man trying to sing. The service was terrible, staff all ignore your and treat you like a pest. The owner walked off when we tried to make a complaint. We paid $100 for 2 people for this terrible experience but it was so bad we left 45 minutes into the 2 hour sitting.

CB75 reviewed Coda Bar & Restaurant, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Asian, French, Has Bar, Licensed

Overall 7.1  24

Lovely food, shame about the service. Went last night with a group of friends and had the set menu. One member of our group had special dietary requirements (gluten free) & was given alternative menu items. When the bill came, she was charged over $120 compared to the $60 set menu. We politely queried the bill as at no point did staff mention her alternatives were from an a la carte menu. We were abused by staff who were extremely rude and told us to 'get out & don't talk to them'. A simple misunderstanding which could have been solved became the most disappointing customer service at any restaurant I have ever been to. Definitely won't be going back as many other Melbourne restaurants with equally, if not better good minus the attitude!

Alihawk reviewed Bambaleros, Canterbury

Cafes

Overall 6  5

Coffee  6      Ambience  7      Service  2      Value  5

This cute cafe is badly let down by its service. My arrival coincided with another diner, so the server incorrectly assumed we were together and asked for our order. I explained I was alone, then (being alone) assumed I wanted a take away - wrong again. Staff took my order and I paid. Staff took my money and kept my $12... change. Other colleague started my order. When I asked for my change, staff looked around the counter for it then disappeared out the back, only to come back with $10 for me, so I asked for the rest. Staff apologized and explained with "sorry we're really busy" - there were only two other people there. My sparkling water came with a glass, but no ice or lemon. The coffee was only acceptable. The atmosphere is quite pleasant and the outlook is nice too.

Kevin S. reviewed Edomae, Box Hill

Restaurants, Japanese

Overall 7.8  1

My family has moved from Cairns to Melbourne a couple of months ago, we could not find many sushi train here until recently, Edomae has many different sushi to pick, including aburi salmon and chicken avocado nigiri sushi, my wife like their green tea tiramisu, the atmosphere is relax, we could not love it more, we will come back with friends.

late afternoon lunch @ edomae

Apr 13, 2014

cafeeater2 reviewed Mr Pilgrim Cafe, Chadstone

Cafes, Modern Australian

Overall 9.6  1

Food  9      Coffee  10      Ambience  9      Service  10      Value  10

Great little cafe, tucked away on the outskirts of the shopping centre. Had an amazing chicken and coleslaw toasted sandwich and washed it down with one of the best lattes I have had in a while, they know what they are doing! All the staff were friendly and they bring water to you with little ice cubes when you sit down.

Apr 13, 2014