Fresh User Reviews in Melbourne

whatnow73 reviewed Twenty & Six, North Melbourne

Cafes, Serves Breakfast, Serves Lunch

Overall 8.2  1

Food  8      Coffee  8      Ambience  9      Service  8      Value  8

Excellent cafe in the Nth Melb area! The cafe is quite small (with one big communal table and a small window facing bench, but it wasn't packed on a Sat morning. The food is beautifully presented and the cafe was originally set up as a designer's hub so the decor and wall art is pretty cool.

blogRead the full review on my blog

Sep 01, 2014

Taco rocks reviewed Taco Bill Mexican Restaurant, Caroline Springs

Restaurants, Mexican / Latin American, Family Dining, Good For Groups, Air Conditioning

Overall 3.9  4

Simply fresh!

Sep 01, 2014

Fair fairy reviewed Old Bullock Dray, The, Healesville

Cafes, Modern Australian

Overall 6.8  2

Coffee  1      Ambience  2      Service  8      Value  1

My experience today was not good. I got an iced coffee at $5 and the milk was off. I took it back and told them, and was told the milk was perfectly fine but that it was made with *real* coffee which gives milk a bitter taste, and that’s why they put ice cream in it. I have been making iced coffees for over 40 years, and I know the difference between the bitterness of a robust coffee and the sourness of milk on the turn. I also know that it can happen to any business despite good care, so I spoke discreetly and politely. No refund was offered.
The fan was also so loud that my friends could not hear each other.

Aug 31, 2014

Chrissy A. reviewed Hausfrau Bakery and Cakes, Yarraville

Bakeries, Family Dining, Child Friendly, Has Cafe, Outdoor Dining

Overall 6.1  12

This cafe bakery is quite cute. The new owners seem to be doing a good job... been there a couple of times now since they started. The cakes & muffins I've tried were lovely. I was amazed that 2 of the sweets I bought there (the chocolate mud cup cake and the apple & cinnamon muffin) were gluten free... I didn't realise that when I ordered them. They were so tasty... you'd never know.

Aug 31, 2014

Anna P. reviewed Lolo & Wren, Brunswick West

Cafes, Modern Australian, Licensed, Outdoor Dining, Serves Breakfast

Overall 8  1

Food  9      Coffee  7      Ambience  8      Service  8

Great place to go to for lunch. The pork burger is a must!

Mobile Review Aug 30, 2014

Wayne73 reviewed Madame Sousou, Fitzroy

Restaurants, European, French, Vegetarian, Fine Dining

Overall 7.7  26

I live in Sydney but every time I go to Melbourne I go to Madame Sousou at Fitzroy. My friends and I usually stay at a hotel in the city close to the No. 11 tram to Fitzroy so everyone at the table can travel door to door with ease and I have had some wonderful meals there. Nothing stays the same and the management has changed. The menu is much simpler now and is printed on a single page and contains quite standard fare. Gone are the French staples such as bouillabaisse, cassoulet, chateaubriand etc that matched the atmosphere and décor so well. Our meal was well cooked, the bill was lower, the waiter friendly efficient and the décor the same but the evening was not nearly as satisfying as in previous years.

Aug 29, 2014

MilaC reviewed Shemesh Vegetarian Pizza, Caulfield South

Restaurants, Pizza, Kosher, Eftpos, Mastercard

Overall 9.3  1

I really enjoyed the country pumpkin pizza. I found their large size to be bigger than most places offer and the topping combination was very tasty. Kind service and pizza was quickly done.

Aug 28, 2014

Raymond B. reviewed Kings Creek Hotel, Hastings

Pubs, English

Overall 6.4  5

Food  2      Drinks  8      Ambience  7      Service  3      Value  3

I frequent the Bistro a few times a year. The last time I was there (couple of weeks ago), I ordered my meal (steak) which was suppose to be very well done. No Blood. When I received the meal, it looked delicious until I started carving into the steak. Just looking at it made me nearly sick. I was actually expecting the steak to start mooing at me. It was blood red inside. Not impressed.

Aug 28, 2014

Ilikedonuts reviewed Juicy Bao, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Chinese

Overall 4.8  1

You know what this place has a lot of? Tables. No really, there's a ridiculous number of tables in this restaurant. It's absolutely bonkers how packed this place is with tables. It's not merely slightly crowded, it's at the point where there are literally just a few inches separating the tables. I'm surprised they didn't violate any safety codes with all the tables.

Having said that, I should probably tell you about the food. It's your standard Szechaun-style food - very hot and spicy, plenty of rice and noodle dishes, and a decent variety of buns and dumplings to try. It seemed okay but there wasn't anything special about. Worth a try I guess.

Mobile Review Aug 25, 2014

RGs reviewed Sam's Boatshed Restaurant & Bar, Williamstown

Bars, International, Modern Australian, Pizza, Seafood

Overall 6.5  14

Drinks  8      Ambience  9      Service  9      Value  8

Have been to this place twice since I came across it. Last time was last weekend when it was sunny and super!it was great. Fantastic location right opposite the park which we laid in before.got a bit hungry, popped into this place and had a few cold beers on tap at a good price in the sun on the deck away from the madness of the main street. Staff were down to earth and real, snacks yum and nice flavoured pizza's I've never seen before.perfect with beer! After a few to many. Went back to the park for a lay down once again! Fantastic day, the right place.

The first time was in winter. Sat and ate dinner on the side area of the restaurant... was silent, cosy warm with candles. Once again staff down to earth... then again I'm not really a snobby la la type of guy. Just want down to earth real service. None of the bull dressed up as lamb if you know what I mean. Food was warming to my belly. Had pasta but before the kangaroo caesar and boy oh boy... never tasted roo like that... tender and juicy... that's the real stuff... going again for sure. Good community feel... like the old boat sheds in the day!

RGs RGs

Onara reviewed Eastern Dumpling House, Carnegie

Restaurants, Chinese, Family Dining, Child Friendly

Overall 6.8  3

Great dumplings, forgettable soup.

Onara reviewed Terminus, Flinders

Restaurants, African, French, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7  1

First night back after a lengthy break and there appeared to be a bit of stage fright at Terminus. Hospitality, food and wine were all still pretty good, though I'd have expected more craft beers on the menu, the seats are a little uncomfortable and the verandah where we were seated was a bit lacking in atmosphere, too. I'd certainly return though, as even the owner was sensing things seemed a tad rusty.

Onara reviewed Max's Restaurant At Red Hill Estate, Red Hill South

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Outdoor Dining, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 8  8

A completely amazing tomato soup, followed by an entirely unmemorable canneloni. Mixed feelings about Max's.

Onara reviewed Ten Minutes By Tractor, Main Ridge

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Degustation Menu, Has Bar, Licensed

Overall 8.7  10

Wonderful degustation, amazing choice of wines, impeccable and informed service, beautiful space.

Jack C. reviewed Sazio Restaurant, Black Rock

Restaurants, Italian, Pizza, Vegetarian, Family Dining

Overall 7  11

Rang to book an appointment to use our ls voucher. It was a Saturday nite and she said fine what time etc. I made a time and then mentioned I had a living social deal and she immediately went on the defensive and said no they were fully booked, sorry and she had been instructed to not take any further bookings! When I was finally able to make a booking on a "quiet" night at a time that suited them, we arrived and presented the voucher. I asked if it was byo as we had a bottle of wine and the waitress said it is normally but as we had a voucher it was not allowed. What? Appalling.

That wasn't the end of it she grabbed the menu and said that we couldn't have any seafood dishes on the menu and pointed roughly to a couple of cheap items on the menu that we could have. My goodness! How embarrassing, glad it wasn't a first date! Even though dessert was included we had to push to get dessert and even then it was the two inconsequentlal, cheapest items on the dessert menu. Absolutely an incredibly humiliating experience and would never go there again, let alone recommend anyone go there!

Rod D. reviewed Terra Rossa Restaurant Bar, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Italian, Mediterranean, Modern Australian, Spanish

Overall 6.8  32

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

My partner and I ordered the Orecchiette, cime di rapa and the Tagliatelle, slow roast lamb ragu. After waiting 40 minutes we eventually spoke to the waitress who then informed of a miss in the kitchen. The meals arrived only 3 minutes later. The Orechiette consisted of a cup of boiled spinach and bitter taste from burnt garlic and nothing else. The Tortellini and some stingy watery flavourless microwaves lamb, no rosemary or pecorino… both dishes were utterly flavourless.

Jenny H. reviewed Lindt Chocolat Cafe, Melbourne CBD

Cafes, Swiss, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 6.5  6

Food  7      Coffee  8      Ambience  7      Service  5      Value  5

Delicious hot chocolate but needed to be hotter, macaroons average, waffles good.
Service very slow. Will give it another go.

Aug 24, 2014

Sarah M. reviewed CoCoChine, Point Cook

Restaurants, Chinese, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Street Parking

Overall 7.2  5

I have been here many times before and food has always been yummy but service quite slow. Last night was horrible... My partner organised a surprise family dinner for my 25th with family coming from 2 hours away and Cocochine spoiled it. We arrived between 6:30-6:45 had a table of 11 people - 6 ordered the banquet with the rest ordering entree and main except my grandparents who ordered a main each. We had to ask to order twice before they took our food order and were extremely slow in bringing drinks out.

All entrees (and my grandparents mains) came out promptly and were cleared quickly once finished. It then got to the point where all bottles of wine had been finished and glasses clearly empty when we started to wonder where our mains were... We couldn't get anyone's attention so my dad had to go up to the counter to ask where our mains were to be told the kitchen got confused and would be out straight away... this was at 8:15pm! Meals finally arrived approx 20mins later but not altogether and I had to call someone over to ask where the rest was. Half of the banquet was delivered but the rest we were still waiting on. I had to ask a second time where the remaining 2 dishes were. 3 batches of mains - 10 minutes apart...

After we ate, we then had to get up and ask the staff to clear the table for dessert and my cake. Dessert took another 15mins (6 servings of deep fried banana and ice cream). We finally asked for the bill and that was delivered promptly with 3 extra bottles of wine added to it! This was quickly changed and upon paying stressed how disappointing it was and was told the kitchen got confused with 2 of the mains being delivered with the entrees and they thought we had all had our mains!

A number of people in my family have a hospitality background, as do I and that is the worst excuse! People often ask for children's meals to be brought out with mains and some people don't order entrees but a large main! My mother asked for some discount due to the number of stuff ups and was told no discount, not even a free drink! We had complained a number of times during the meal about the wait and nothing. The only apology we received was after we paid. This was from the owner too... Disgusting service. It's a shame as the meals were nice.

Aug 24, 2014

JBasura reviewed Kelly Cube, Melbourne CBD

Takeaways, Food Delivery

Overall 10  2

So fresh and healthy, we had the superfood salad with delicious chicken! 10/10 support this local business!

Aug 23, 2014

Cantora reviewed Steak Ministry Bar & Grill, Glen Waverley

Restaurants, American, Modern Australian, Steak House, Good for Brunch

Overall 8.5  3

Things to note:
Steak Ministry is a very high quality steak house. You pay for an experience, not a piece of meat. Steaks start at $32 and sides/sauce are additional. Our entire two person bill was $200 and I think that was a very good price for what we experienced... If you're looking to spend noticeably less than that, I would suggest saving SM for a special occasion.

Being from Brisbane, I have sampled a few good steaks: Cha Cha Char, Aria, MooMoos, Black Hide, Embers, Normanby, Breakfast Creek, R&R, SSS, Outback, The boatshed... and so on.

Here in Melbourne I have been to the M&W Company and now Steak Ministry... Out of all these places, I think my favorite dining experience to date is Steak Ministry for a few reasons. I'll break it down and note a rating out of 5 fore each.

1. Seating & ambiance: 5/5
I was out with a very close friend and we were seated at a corner table which was relaxing and intimate. There was ample room for food, and neither of us were crowded by the other, even though we sat much closer than if sitting opposite. This was a great start. The layout of the restaurant was great. The support beams were covered in a fake gum tree bark to give it a much more relaxed feel. The lighting was good and the walls were covered in wines and champagnes.

2. Staff: 4/5
Matthew, who took care of our table was friendly, knowledgeable, and very concerned with quality. He was honest and made several recommendations that worked well. His pairing of the wine with the steak was excellent. The only thing to note here is that my friend wanted a rare steak and ordered a cut that should only be cooked medium rare. Matthew explained this to her and recommended a different cut if she wanted it rare. She went against the suggestion and ordered the cut medium rare. After dinner she did mildly complain that she would have preferred it more "alive and mooing", and was annoyed that the restaurant wouldn't cook it. I personally don't have any issue with a Chef telling someone to pull their head in if they're going to ruin a piece of good quality steak but I understand that some believe in the mantra "customer is always right". This is the only reason for a 4/5.

3. Food: 5/5
Of course the highlight of the evening... We ordered the New York Strip (It was called Strip but it was cut and served NY style which was great), and the Wagyu Centre Rump. It is very rare to find a steak place that serves what I would consider "advanced" cuts of meet. The Centre Rump is a sensational cut. It is a thick cut cooked and served similar to an Eye Fillet, but with the flavour and marbling of a wagyu rump. I had this, and it was by far one of the best steaks I have had. Combined with the caramelised onion, mash and incredibly good quality sauce, each bite was an experience in perfected dining. With the wine recommendation, the whole experience was one that I wish I could have every night.

Aug 23, 2014