Fresh User Reviews in Melbourne

Displaying: 1 - 20 of 524

Ilikedonuts reviewed Juicy Bao, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Chinese

Overall 4.8  1

You know what this place has a lot of? Tables. No really, there's a ridiculous number of tables in this restaurant. It's absolutely bonkers how packed this place is with tables. It's not merely slightly crowded, it's at the point where there are literally just a few inches separating the tables. I'm surprised they didn't violate any safety codes with all the tables.

Having said that, I should probably tell you about the food. It's your standard Szechaun-style food - very hot and spicy, plenty of rice and noodle dishes, and a decent variety of buns and dumplings to try. It seemed okay but there wasn't anything special about. Worth a try I guess.

Mobile Review Aug 25, 2014

Onara reviewed Eastern Dumpling House, Carnegie

Restaurants, Chinese, Family Dining, Child Friendly

Overall 6.8  3

Great dumplings, forgettable soup.

Onara reviewed Terminus, Flinders

Restaurants, African, French, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 7  1

First night back after a lengthy break and there appeared to be a bit of stage fright at Terminus. Hospitality, food and wine were all still pretty good, though I'd have expected more craft beers on the menu, the seats are a little uncomfortable and the verandah where we were seated was a bit lacking in atmosphere, too. I'd certainly return though, as even the owner was sensing things seemed a tad rusty.

Onara reviewed Max's Restaurant At Red Hill Estate, Red Hill South

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Outdoor Dining, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 8  8

A completely amazing tomato soup, followed by an entirely unmemorable canneloni. Mixed feelings about Max's.

Onara reviewed Ten Minutes By Tractor, Main Ridge

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Degustation Menu, Has Bar, Licensed

Overall 8.7  10

Wonderful degustation, amazing choice of wines, impeccable and informed service, beautiful space.

Jack C. reviewed Sazio Restaurant, Black Rock

Restaurants, Italian, Pizza, Vegetarian, Family Dining

Overall 7  11

Rang to book an appointment to use our ls voucher. It was a Saturday nite and she said fine what time etc. I made a time and then mentioned I had a living social deal and she immediately went on the defensive and said no they were fully booked, sorry and she had been instructed to not take any further bookings! When I was finally able to make a booking on a "quiet" night at a time that suited them, we arrived and presented the voucher. I asked if it was byo as we had a bottle of wine and the waitress said it is normally but as we had a voucher it was not allowed. What? Appalling.

That wasn't the end of it she grabbed the menu and said that we couldn't have any seafood dishes on the menu and pointed roughly to a couple of cheap items on the menu that we could have. My goodness! How embarrassing, glad it wasn't a first date! Even though dessert was included we had to push to get dessert and even then it was the two inconsequentlal, cheapest items on the dessert menu. Absolutely an incredibly humiliating experience and would never go there again, let alone recommend anyone go there!

Rod D. reviewed Terra Rossa Restaurant Bar, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Italian, Mediterranean, Modern Australian, Spanish

Overall 6.8  32

My partner and I ordered the Orecchiette, cime di rapa and the Tagliatelle, slow roast lamb ragu. After waiting 40 minutes we eventually spoke to the waitress who then informed of a miss in the kitchen. The meals arrived only 3 minutes later. The Orechiette consisted of a cup of boiled spinach and bitter taste from burnt garlic and nothing else. The Tortellini and some stingy watery flavourless microwaves lamb, no rosemary or pecorino… both dishes were utterly flavourless.

Jenny H. reviewed Lindt Chocolat Cafe, Melbourne CBD

Cafes, Swiss, Serves Breakfast, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch

Overall 6.5  6

Food  7      Coffee  8      Ambience  7      Service  5      Value  5

Delicious hot chocolate but needed to be hotter, macaroons average, waffles good.
Service very slow. Will give it another go.

Aug 24, 2014

Sarah M. reviewed CoCoChine, Point Cook

Restaurants, Chinese, Serves Dinner, Serves Lunch, Street Parking

Overall 7.2  5

I have been here many times before and food has always been yummy but service quite slow. Last night was horrible... My partner organised a surprise family dinner for my 25th with family coming from 2 hours away and Cocochine spoiled it. We arrived between 6:30-6:45 had a table of 11 people - 6 ordered the banquet with the rest ordering entree and main except my grandparents who ordered a main each. We had to ask to order twice before they took our food order and were extremely slow in bringing drinks out.

All entrees (and my grandparents mains) came out promptly and were cleared quickly once finished. It then got to the point where all bottles of wine had been finished and glasses clearly empty when we started to wonder where our mains were... We couldn't get anyone's attention so my dad had to go up to the counter to ask where our mains were to be told the kitchen got confused and would be out straight away... this was at 8:15pm! Meals finally arrived approx 20mins later but not altogether and I had to call someone over to ask where the rest was. Half of the banquet was delivered but the rest we were still waiting on. I had to ask a second time where the remaining 2 dishes were. 3 batches of mains - 10 minutes apart...

After we ate, we then had to get up and ask the staff to clear the table for dessert and my cake. Dessert took another 15mins (6 servings of deep fried banana and ice cream). We finally asked for the bill and that was delivered promptly with 3 extra bottles of wine added to it! This was quickly changed and upon paying stressed how disappointing it was and was told the kitchen got confused with 2 of the mains being delivered with the entrees and they thought we had all had our mains!

A number of people in my family have a hospitality background, as do I and that is the worst excuse! People often ask for children's meals to be brought out with mains and some people don't order entrees but a large main! My mother asked for some discount due to the number of stuff ups and was told no discount, not even a free drink! We had complained a number of times during the meal about the wait and nothing. The only apology we received was after we paid. This was from the owner too... Disgusting service. It's a shame as the meals were nice.

Aug 24, 2014

JBasura reviewed Kelly Cube, Melbourne CBD

Takeaways, Food Delivery

Overall 10  2

So fresh and healthy, we had the superfood salad with delicious chicken! 10/10 support this local business!

Aug 23, 2014

Cantora reviewed Steak Ministry Bar & Grill, Glen Waverley

Restaurants, American, Modern Australian, Steak House, Good for Brunch

Overall 8.5  3

Things to note:
Steak Ministry is a very high quality steak house. You pay for an experience, not a piece of meat. Steaks start at $32 and sides/sauce are additional. Our entire two person bill was $200 and I think that was a very good price for what we experienced... If you're looking to spend noticeably less than that, I would suggest saving SM for a special occasion.

Being from Brisbane, I have sampled a few good steaks: Cha Cha Char, Aria, MooMoos, Black Hide, Embers, Normanby, Breakfast Creek, R&R, SSS, Outback, The boatshed... and so on.

Here in Melbourne I have been to the M&W Company and now Steak Ministry... Out of all these places, I think my favorite dining experience to date is Steak Ministry for a few reasons. I'll break it down and note a rating out of 5 fore each.

1. Seating & ambiance: 5/5
I was out with a very close friend and we were seated at a corner table which was relaxing and intimate. There was ample room for food, and neither of us were crowded by the other, even though we sat much closer than if sitting opposite. This was a great start. The layout of the restaurant was great. The support beams were covered in a fake gum tree bark to give it a much more relaxed feel. The lighting was good and the walls were covered in wines and champagnes.

2. Staff: 4/5
Matthew, who took care of our table was friendly, knowledgeable, and very concerned with quality. He was honest and made several recommendations that worked well. His pairing of the wine with the steak was excellent. The only thing to note here is that my friend wanted a rare steak and ordered a cut that should only be cooked medium rare. Matthew explained this to her and recommended a different cut if she wanted it rare. She went against the suggestion and ordered the cut medium rare. After dinner she did mildly complain that she would have preferred it more "alive and mooing", and was annoyed that the restaurant wouldn't cook it. I personally don't have any issue with a Chef telling someone to pull their head in if they're going to ruin a piece of good quality steak but I understand that some believe in the mantra "customer is always right". This is the only reason for a 4/5.

3. Food: 5/5
Of course the highlight of the evening... We ordered the New York Strip (It was called Strip but it was cut and served NY style which was great), and the Wagyu Centre Rump. It is very rare to find a steak place that serves what I would consider "advanced" cuts of meet. The Centre Rump is a sensational cut. It is a thick cut cooked and served similar to an Eye Fillet, but with the flavour and marbling of a wagyu rump. I had this, and it was by far one of the best steaks I have had. Combined with the caramelised onion, mash and incredibly good quality sauce, each bite was an experience in perfected dining. With the wine recommendation, the whole experience was one that I wish I could have every night.

Aug 23, 2014

Restaurants, Chinese

Overall 1  1

Worst service in Australia. The old woman taking orders wears track pants with moccasins and screams at you as you enter asking if you have a reservation when the place is empty. Middle of winter she sat my one year old daughter and I in the doorway and propped the door open. I then requested the Peking pork dumplings with special sauce to be pan fried instead of boiled. They have done it for me many times before but this time she says 'No! Can't do!'. After a bit of arguing I said fine, I'd have something else, but when our meals came she brought us the Peking pork dumplings, boiled, no sauce! This isn't the first terrible experience at here but it will be the last. Just the nastiest, most unfriendly, spiteful waitress in the universe. Horror service.

vfvf reviewed Lambs Restaurant, Carlton

Restaurants, Greek, Has Bar, Has Cafe

Overall 3.4  8

Terrible service. Asked for a high chair, and the waitress gestured to my one year old and asked 'is it for her?'. Uh, yes, clearly... No baby change facility! I had to lay my child on the lid of the toilet to change her. Absolutely the most appalling experience. Disgusting toilets. Worst.

Tiny Dancer reviewed Jack & Daisy, Pascoe Vale

Cafes, Modern European, Family Dining, Child Friendly, Outdoor Dining

Overall 6.8  1

Food  5      Coffee  8      Ambience  7      Service  8      Value  6

Stopped in here for breakfast. Service was quick & friendly. Really liked my coffee and the chocolate art on top was very impressive. Ordered the Corn Fritters with Bacon, Beetroot Relish, Chive Creme Fraiche & a poached egg on top. To be honest, I did not like the flavour or texture of the Fritters. There wasn't enough of the Creme Fraiche so the whole thing felt doughy & hard to eat. The Poached Egg wasn't quite cooked enough so some of the white was still runny. I would return for coffee but probably not to eat.

Sarok reviewed Mamame' Eatery and Bar, Richmond

Bars, Asian Fusion, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining, Serves Lunch

Overall 9.5  2

Drinks  10      Ambience  10      Service  10      Value  8

Delicious, I had the bulgogi which was amazing. The spicy sauce they put with it is Korean flavored ambrosia. I also had the prawn dumplings in broth. Now, the dumplings were fine, I was hoping for more prawn (more of a surf n turf experience), but the BROTH was beautiful. Smooth, flavorful, I can't sing it's praises enough. Not to mention the wonderfully tender brisket served beneath the dumplings. It melted in my mouth. Slices of heaven! I asked them if they could make soup with it - if they made soup with that broth and that brisket, I wouldn't be able to stop eating it! Can't wait until their lunch specials go up. I'm definitely going back. Great customer service, very attentive, really a joy to visit.

Aug 20, 2014

adisela reviewed Laffa Bar Charcoal Grill, Caulfield South

Restaurants, Middle Eastern

Overall 10  2

We had a fantastic dinner at the Laffa Bar. Friendly staff and great service.
Will come again!

Aug 20, 2014

tabel fare reviewed Toolangi Tavern, Toolangi

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Gluten Free

Overall 9.8  1

Have a $18.50 specials board, all fantastic, worth a trip, beautiful authentic mountain atmosphere, friendly staff and great atmosphere great open fireplace, very happy to make the effort.

tabel fare reviewed Skyway Pizza & Pasta, Tullamarine

Restaurants, Pizza, Serves Takeaway, Menulog Delivery and Pickup

Overall 1.8  1

Paid for adult serve received child's serve. Never seen a smaller piece of Chicken Schnitzel ever for take away, should have realized when delivered in small box then found schnitzel was quarter size of small pizza box. Thin, tasteless and disappointing, also small handful of very oily chips, never seen a smaller piece of chicken, never even bought a small piece in supermarket that size... never ever ever again.

David^B reviewed Piccolo Mondo, Carlton

Restaurants, Italian, Restaurant Bookings, American Express

Overall 5.4  12

Typical Lygon St menu and style. Pasta may or may not have been homemade but either way it was very fresh and nice. No supermarket dry stuff there. All meals were very good and of a decent size but then, with so many Italian eateries in Lygon St, they would not last long if they offered any less than that. Wine was a little overpriced but once more, of good quality. Wait staff has just the right Italian accents to give that authentic feel without being difficult to understand and they were willing to step outside the norm to assist. There again, with the competition around, they could not afford to offer less. All in all, worth a try.

Hi H. reviewed Tribeca Pizza, East Melbourne