Fresh User Reviews in Melbourne

YummyMummyTummy reviewed Yokohama Teppanyaki, Glen Waverley

Restaurants, Japanese

Overall 7.6  11

Food  8      Ambience  10      Service  10

Went here for an XMAS party recently and had a ball. We had to wait quite some time for our chef to be ready - but when he was it was worth the wait :)

Food was tasty, ambience was great and can't fault the service. We were there as guests so I can't comment on value.

YummyMummyTummy reviewed Alpha Ouzeri, Fitzroy

Restaurants, Greek, Good for Business Dining, Good For Groups, Child Friendly Menus

Overall 6.2  5

Food  8      Ambience  4      Service  6

Went here not long ago and while the food was good, it took a long time. E.g. we were seated for over 2.5 hours before the mains came out. With a babysitter waiting at home, we had to leave before the deserts arrived. Can't comment on value for money as we were guests.

While the ambiance was pleasant, it was extremely noisy - which made it hard to have a conversation with anyone not seated immediately beside you. I'd only go here again on a quieter night and only if I wanted to spend a long long long time over dinner.

YummyMummyTummy reviewed Ginger Asian Food, Blackburn

Restaurants, Asian

Overall 5.8  1

Been eating here for a while and the food is fresh and hot and tasty. Recently, though, there's been more and more rice in the takeaway containers, less of the curry, and today the container was not even full.

I like their curries, and made to order, but if current slide continues I might need to change to a different place to get my weekly 'made for me' lunch treat as it's starting not to give value for money :(

Alihawk reviewed Bomba, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Spanish, Good For Groups, Has Bar, Licensed

Overall 7.8  1

Tonight I felt like something tasty but but not huge - and I found it here. I enjoyed Beetroot & Goats Curd toasts and Chargrilled Asparagus with Slow Cooked Egg. Truly delicious. The atmosphere is relaxed and service is good. I will come again - no question. Thank you.

Chargrilled Asparagus with slow cooked Egg

Mobile Review Dec 15, 2014

Restaurants, Italian, Mediterranean, Outdoor Dining, Serves Takeaway

Overall 6.5  1

Went to this typical little breakfast joint this morning and grabbed some grub to put in our mouthes. it was tasty stuff.... nothing out of this world mind you, but very tasty and a good place to nick in for some early morning tucker before heading out into the wild streets of Puckle to do some shopping.

Mobile Review Dec 14, 2014

Alihawk reviewed Chef Tandoor, Surrey Hills

Overall 7.8  7

This is the best Indian restaurant I've been to for ages - certainly the best in this local area, by far. The service is very attentive, the dcor is better than most other restaurants in the local area - I particularly like the open kitchen style with the window view to the chefs. The food is really lovely. My companion and I shared the Tandoori Platter (a selection of chicken, kofka and lamb), Pumpkin Masala, Naan, Green Salad and a Cucumber Salad. Everything was fantastic - particularly the Pumpkin Masala, which was beautifully flavoured - we requested Medium for that. Very delicious meal and I wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend this restaurant to others.

Tandoori Platter Naan, salads and Pumpkin Masala Interior showing Chef's kitchen view

Dec 12, 2014

Restaurants, Chinese, Family Dining, Child Friendly

Overall 6.9  4

I have been a regular at Eastern since it opened in 2011 & have been witness to it evolvement over the years.

The food has always been the star of this little bolt hole in Carnegie. But that is to be expected when Head Chef is a master Chinese dumpling maker. The Xi long bao is the true stand out at this restaurant and it is some of the best you will find anywhere... In the world. The pork & ginger filling is always bursting with freshness & the soup being held by the almost translucent skin is beautifully silky, they are 8 little bundles of joy. Other highlights are the pan fried pork dumpling & the pan fried pork bun, that latter being very similar to the Xi long bao but with the added texture & taste of sesame seeds to add to the crunch of the perfectly fried base.

The beef brisket in a beautifully flavoured broth teaming with spring onions, carrots & noodles is enough to feed a family of 4 & at $10 per serve is amazing value for money, I've never been able to finish a bowl on my own & always end up sharing it with my dining companions.

Other must haves are the slow cooked pork belly, the wok tossed mix greens & the Salt & Pepper calamari. I'm not going to say too much about these 3 awesome dishes as there needs to be a surprise for when you get them but they are amazing!

Over the last 4 years Eastern Dumpling House has come a long way & it still has a little way to go in terms of service. The staff do get confused quite easily but they are always happy to rectify any mistakes that may occur. But the place is now BYO (it wasn't for a very long time) & they now have proper glasses instead of plastic for you wine too.

Overall Eastern Dumpling House is fantastic value for money & if you don't mind the laid back casual atmosphere of the place it will soon become a favourite place of yours too.

Dec 12, 2014

Alihawk reviewed Mitre Tavern Steakhouse, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Steak House, BYO, Licensed, Serves Dinner

Overall 5.8  5

I attended a business lunch function held here because it's renowned as a "great place for a steak". The building and decor is old pub style with heavy carpets, big bars and solid timber furniture. At my function, drinks service was okay but the meal was very very slow in coming. As a venue I'd only rate it as okay. Having said that, there's always crowds outside here - so I guess it's generally good.

Tonygsmith reviewed Goneburger, St Kilda

Restaurants, Takeaways, Fast Food, Burger, Good For Groups

Overall 8.8  1

Had a burger there the other day with some chips. Very nice burger. The pork crackling was sensational. The chips were also very tasty. good service and great to sit outside and watch all the interesting Fitzroy st people go by. Will be back many times to this one.

Tonygsmith reviewed Babu Ji, St Kilda

Restaurants, Indian, Good For Groups, BYO, Licensed

Overall 7.5  1

Love this place. Best Indian food in the area.

Alihawk reviewed Trunk, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, American, European, Italian, Pizza

Overall 6  14

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

This is a good place to meet friends - the restaurant offers table service and an a la carte menu. Outdoors is more informal and very conducive to a lazy afternoon or evening for drinks. In the restaurant, we were delivered bread with oil then my companion had a Gnocchi and I had the Hummus Plate. Both nicely sized servings and tasty food. Service is fine, but not excellent. Good coffee and a reasonable wine list too.

Mobile Review Dec 09, 2014

Onara reviewed Bella Vedere, Coldstream

Restaurants, European, Modern Australian, Licensed, Outdoor Dining

Overall 9.3  13

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Near-perfect Sunday lunch. Lovely ambiance, attentive service, great wine recommendations, wonderful food.

Dec 09, 2014

Alihawk reviewed Small Town Bakery, Kew East

Bakeries, Serves Takeaway

Overall 7.8  1

This is an unassuming neighbourhood cafe on High Street in Kew East. It doesn't shout its presence, just nicely goes about its business. I enjoyed a delicious Chicken & Avocado Roll here for lunch. The filling was generous and service was very nice. Excellent long black coffee too, thank you.

Cafe interior

Mobile Review Dec 09, 2014

powellb reviewed Lafayette Fine Foods, Brighton

Restaurants, Modern Australian, Outdoor Dining, Serves Breakfast, Serves Lunch

Overall 5.1  2

Stopped by this AM as a new patron of this cafe. I needed a latte. Shortly after ordering a small take away latte and paying $3.80 I was presented with the smallest take away cup I have ever been insulted with. If I'd ordered a baby cino I would have understood but I gave away my toddler days many years before. Unbelievable to think the management even try to insult the public and even more unbelievable if the public accept it. Will not return.

Mobile Review Dec 08, 2014

Rubies reviewed Vale Hotel, Mulgrave

Pubs

Overall 7.3  3

Food  9      Drinks  9      Ambience  10      Service  10

A very large group of us had lunch at the Vale today and it was an amazing experience. The food and service was top quality and my family and I will be back for sure. A special mention to Anne who we thought was the floor manager but she let us know she was just a worker. Let me say wow, I thought she was the floor manager and doing an amazing job making sure food came out in time and everyone was happy. Thanks Anne for making our day!

Dec 07, 2014

JohR reviewed Juicy Bao, Melbourne CBD

Restaurants, Chinese

Overall 5.4  2

Very tasty food, good sized servings. There is no kids menu if you are planning bringing the kiddies.

Mobile Review Dec 05, 2014

YummyMummyTummy reviewed Meat & Wine Co, The, Hawthorn East

Restaurants, Steak House, Child Friendly Menus, Serves Dinner, Serves Late Dining

Overall 6.8  4

It was alright. Serves were reasonable size. Desserts were quite good. Not sure it was worth the price ($300 for 4) which, while not completely over the top, was on the high side given I have had much better food elsewhere locally for less. Like I said - it was alright. Not good. Not great. But alright.

Nov 28, 2014

Meeta Y. reviewed Indian City Restaurant, Springvale

Restaurants, Indian

Overall 10  1

The best place to eat in Springvale. I went there with my friends. We ordered for a group. We ordered few dishes like Tandoori Chicken, sizzling goat, chicken tikka and Naans. The food was very delicious and also service was very good. We loved the food!

Mobile Review Nov 25, 2014

craig69 reviewed De Black Crow, Bayswater

Restaurants, European, Good For Groups, Licensed, Serves Breakfast

Overall 9.3  1

Excellent just opened in Bayswater, great decor,service and breakfast. Soon will serve lunch/dinner.

Nov 21, 2014

idaajzenman reviewed Clover Cottage, Berwick

Restaurants, International

Overall 9.9  16

What a lovely atmosphere as you walk in through a gorgeous garden. The ambience was perfect and very well presented. The service was great particularly since I don't eat meat. It was explained to me that they have prepared alternative food for me. You do have to warn them in advance though. The best part was the food though. Everything was delicious and plentiful. Entrees and soup were served at the table. There were a few choices for each. The main course and dessert were smorgasbord. No Long queues though as each table was called separately. I was really full, but just had to try the yummy desserts. I will definitely go back there again.

Mobile Review Nov 17, 2014